Noah Clowney (2022) Commits to Alabama

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Either way, I have full confidence that this staff will pull a solid big out of the portal to go along with Durr and Duncomb next season. 

I also think Geronimo is going to surprise a lot of people over the next couple of years.  Hopefully he will develop just like OG did

• Like 2

So if we don’t get Noah, we’ll move on to the next one…..I have WAY more confidence in our ENTIRE coaching staff, their abilities and what they individually bring to this program than any from the previous group. I will continue to say this till I’m blue in the face,……. as soon as a desired recruit decides against committing and playing for this storied program, I could care less about him. 

• Like 6

I think we’ve learned now with Garland, Kaufman, and possibly Clowney, that you just never no until the end.  

But like everyone says, transfer portal fixes this right up.  Really not a huge loss.  Disappointing- sure.  But nothing like losing out on guys in years past. 

IU has one of the best staff of coaches in college now.   They’ll find one kid to replace him. 

Edited by Bustout
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree, I just didn't list him as a big. 

I think he would play the stretch 4.  Sounds like he has really worked on his outside shot and is a monster on the boards.  With most teams not really playing two bigs at the same time it wouldn't hurt us with him at the 4.  I can see in a couple of years where you can have a front court of Duncomb, Geronimo and Banks.

Bright side and I think it may be a brighter side, is to take a grown man transfer with 2ish years of eligibility.  People are going to want to come play for Coach Woodson.  He's going to have no problem filling a roster.  I'd probably prefer transfers over anyone outside of top 70.

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, IUProfessor said:

The problem in these situations is always that the insiders here are connected to the program, not to the player. So their inside info is only as good as who they are getting it from. If people inside the program feel good about a recruit, it doesn't actually mean that the recruit is coming, just that the staff feels good about it. 

The real info of value comes from the player's camp. We rarely have that here.

Edit: I don't mean that as a knock on any of the insiders, just that I always take what I hear here lightly for that reason.

This is pretty accurate 

So wait - Oats offense is basically shoot as many threes as possible - which I believe he said was based off analytics (I recall that during the coaching search).  

Clowney’s last comment on Bama was their play was really like that because the personnel necessitated that (or something to that effect).  

So - now that Oats is recruiting Clowney, a big man will be the focus of the offense?    

Im not an X and O guy, but something seems up here unless I’m completely missing something.  I hope for his sake, if he does end up at Bama, it truly is for the best for him.   Perhaps one to keep an eye on down the road in the portal.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bustout said:

So wait - Oats offense is basically shoot as many threes as possible - which I believe he said was based off analytics (I recall that during the coaching search).  

Clowney’s last comment on Bama was their play was really like that because the personnel necessitated that (or something to that effect).  

So - now that Oats is recruiting Clowney, a big man will be the focus of the offense?    

Im not an X and O guy, but something seems up here unless I’m completely missing something.  I hope for his sake, if he does end up at Bama, it truly is for the best for him.   Perhaps one to keep an eye on down the road in the portal.  

Oats isn't changing his play style. Clowney won't be the focus of their offense but he wouldn't have been that at IU either. 

10 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I just share what I am told. Not trying to lead people along. Isn't that what message boards are for? If he goes to Bama, so be it. I'll continue to share what is told to me. A lot of it comes from players on the team. We will know this afternoon. I still have hope. 

We appreciate you and your info.  Thanks!

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I just share what I am told. Not trying to lead people along. Isn't that what message boards are for? If he goes to Bama, so be it. I'll continue to share what is told to me. A lot of it comes from players on the team. We will know this afternoon. I still have hope. 

Cavanagh interviewed some of the players yesterday.  A week ago they swore Clowney was coming but that's changed from what he posted.