Noah Clowney (2022) Commits to Alabama

9 hours ago, Bustout said:

So wait - Oats offense is basically shoot as many threes as possible - which I believe he said was based off analytics (I recall that during the coaching search).  

Clowney’s last comment on Bama was their play was really like that because the personnel necessitated that (or something to that effect).  

So - now that Oats is recruiting Clowney, a big man will be the focus of the offense?    

Im not an X and O guy, but something seems up here unless I’m completely missing something.  I hope for his sake, if he does end up at Bama, it truly is for the best for him.   Perhaps one to keep an eye on down the road in the portal.  

Not everyone shoots 3's in Oats offense. Justin Smith really didn't and he scored tons of points rim running and running the baseline etc. They may emphasize shooting 3's but they still get the ball in the paint and lot's of layups.

• Haha 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Not everyone shoots 3's in Oats offense. Justin Smith really didn't and he scored tons of points rim running and running the baseline etc. They may emphasize shooting 3's but they still get the ball in the paint and lot's of layups.

Justin Smith played at Arkansas for Eric Musselman you're right about Smith's role in the Arkansas offense though lol 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I just share what I am told. Not trying to lead people along. Isn't that what message boards are for? If he goes to Bama, so be it. I'll continue to share what is told to me. A lot of it comes from players on the team. We will know this afternoon. I still have hope. 

It's all good. I think he was choosing IU before the last visit. He even said he thought he made his mind up and then something else comes along and changes it. I think what we have here is a kid that had a fabulous visit. Mixed well with the guys and was blown away by the legacy IU has. It was enough to put us ahead of the leader in the clubhouse VT. The issue simply is that Bama just went Birdie, Birdie, Birdie to finish the match....it happens sometimes. I thank you for your posts as always. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Justin Smith played at Arkansas for Eric Musselman you're right about Smith's role in the Arkansas offense though lol 

Yep....I mean he shot some...and was about as effective as he was at IU....so Clowney will likely be asked to work on that in his game...but teams that put perimeter pressure on teams pull people away from the basket....and guess who benefits.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Steph Curry didn't shoot 3's in Oats offense either.  :coffee:

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Steph Curry didn't shoot 3's in Oats offense either.  :coffee:

My bad...not sure why I got Arkansas and Alabama mixed up....Monday no caffeine after Halloween brain. Even though Musselman likes to shoot 3's too...but Bama indeed doesn't all run 5 out to the 3 pt line all the time. Sorry!

• Like 1

Sure hope he ends up being right. Not saying he is someone in the know, because I have no idea, but still nice to see someone still think he pops for IU. It would indeed be pretty epic if all this Alabama heat keeps coming and then we see him pick IU. Like RTZ said, there’s still hope, but I wouldn’t be surprised either way I guess. 

• Like 2

I'm pretty numb to situations like this - they are what they are. Still interesting to see indications of who we are focusing on and which ones appear to be giving us serious consideration.

The one thing that puzzles me is how "insiders" and their sources can be so confident on their proclamations.  They surely know and have witnessed this all dozens of times before.  Now if some sources are players/teammates it would make sense as these things are kinda new to them.  IDK

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Sure hope he ends up being right. Not saying he is someone in the know, because I have no idea, but still nice to see someone still think he pops for IU. It would indeed be pretty epic if all this Alabama heat keeps coming and then we see him pick IU. Like RTZ said, there’s still hope, but I wouldn’t be surprised either way I guess. 

Bona to UCLA. He's 1 for 1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Between2Halls said:

Ugh. Trying to catch up to all that I missed these last couple of days. When I read an article the other day of him saying he keeps changing his mind I was concerned. Not too surprised that he wants to be in the south. I wish him well. Onward. 

I think you hit upon the key.  He liked both IU and Bama.  My feeling is that Bama feels more like home.  I don't believe anything relating to basketball like how he would be used etc was as important as staying where he feels most comfortable...and that's the South.  JMHO.   😊

• Like 2

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So they shouldn't come on here and say it is a locked

I get the impression you are mad at yourself for getting overly excited over rumors.  My suggestion, just keep your eye open for commitments.  I got irritated when the southern Indiana kid who is going to be a freshmen this year picked Purdue.  I stopped reading this particular forum so much because at the end of the day, I cannot even remember the guy's name off the top of my head.

Getting worked up over this stuff just is not worth it at all.

• Like 5

I agree...the guys who are bringing information to this board are doing the best they can. They aren't just blowing smoke.  Kids change their mind all the time, its not the posters fault.  If it bothers you that much, then don't come here to read about what is happening, especially since you apparently don't believe it anyways.  I am thankful for the guys who give their input and intel into this board.

• Like 6

On 10/31/2021 at 1:57 PM, IU Scott said:

I rather recruiting goes back to the way it use to be when you found out your recruiting class on signing day.  I need to stop listening to so called insiders because they probably don't have that much of inside sources

Says the guy on a recruiting forum. Strange.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4