Woodson sees promise in Lander

4 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Nice article. Big Lander fan and I think the reduced schedule last year really hurt his progress along with our offense. I'm also really liking Woodson's straight forward no nonsense approach. Breath of fresh air and I think it will play very well in coming years. Especially on the recruiting front. 

• Like 1

Lander is going to be a very good player for Indiana before he leaves.  What I find hardest to understand about this whole saga is why Archie encouraged him to reclass.  As indicated in the story, he's not the prototypical PG for Archie's offense.  So, bringing him in was already an awkward situation between player and style of play.  Add to it the burden of making that transition a year before he was supposed to, and it all but set the young man up to struggle.  

Along with the change in playing style, having Xavier Johnson on hand to learn from will really help Lander.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Lander is going to be a very good player for Indiana before he leaves.  What I find hardest to understand about this whole saga is why Archie encouraged him to reclass.  As indicated in the story, he's not the prototypical PG for Archie's offense.  So, bringing him in was already an awkward situation between player and style of play.  Add to it the burden of making that transition a year before he was supposed to, and it all but set the young man up to struggle.  

Along with the change in playing style, having Xavier Johnson on hand to learn from will really help Lander.  

I think Archie saw the writing on the wall and used Lander as a show piece to save his job. It also shows Archie can't coach to the players he has, its system or nothing.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Why else did he do it. First off he likely would have lost him to UL or Michigan if he waited...secondly Archie struck out on all his pg recruits and he was desperate. 3rd he knew he was on the hot seat and had to create positive momentum for the program. Archie was desperate. Not sure what the plan was past landing him...much like his plan for any of his players...but Archie had to turn things around and had few options.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 1:41 PM, 5fouls said:

Not so fast 5fouls as I see a different scenario playing out.  2.1pts per game, 25.7 fg% and a 27.3 3pt % is far from a starting spot on this team especially when you add in 5 star talent in Bates.  I'm not here to bash this young talent but please show me something before talks of leaving early for the NBA.  I mean most here talk like he is a 2 yr player at best and I look at tape like whaaaaaat, really?  With the talent that Coach Woodson is bringing in, lets take a step back in Landers projection until he actually shows his talent on the court.  Here's to 2021 for this young phenom.

6 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Not so fast 5fouls as I see a different scenario playing out.  2.1pts per game, 25.7 fg% and a 27.3 3pt % is far from a starting spot on this team especially when you add in 5 star talent in Bates.  I'm not here to bash this young talent but please show me something before talks of leaving early for the NBA.  I mean most here talk like he is a 2 yr player at best and I look at tape like whaaaaaat, really?  With the talent that Coach Woodson is bringing in, lets take a step back in Landers projection until he actually shows his talent on the court.  Here's to 2021 for this young phenom.

First, I was disappointed with Lander's frosh season.  Secondly, if Khristian thrives under Woody then that says something about Archie's coaching abilities.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Unlike most on here, I saw Lander play a couple of times in high school.  I knew he was not a one and done player.  But, I also saw raw talent that just needed some development.  The post of mine you quoted does not mention the NBA, or him even starting for the Hoosiers next season.  It says 'Lander is going to be a very good player for Indiana before he leaves'.  Heck, with the extra Covid season, he has 4 more years if he wants them.  

Finally, who is to say that Bates won't come in and struggle much the way Lander did.  Fans have a tendency to think all highly rated players will immediately be stars as freshmen in college.  And, then when some of them are not (like Lander), the fans think they immediately should get shoved aside for the next guy.  

Indiana's offensive philosophy last year and Lander's skill set were not compatible at all.  Not putting blame on either side.  But, it's much to early to write the kid off.   

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Indiana's offensive philosophy last year and Lander's skill set were not compatible at all.  Not putting blame on either side.  But, it's much to early to write the kid off.   

Excellent assessment. A lot of our fans I think wanted Archie to treat Lander like Underwood played Curbelo. Let him go out there and make mistakes while learning what it takes to be a college point guard...

Archie was never going to do that with his emphasis on low turnovers and defense. Plus, he didn't have the luxury of a Dosunmu or Cockburn to make up for those mistakes.

And it was a bad fit for Khristian...I think he'll be much better in a more open, free wheeling offense. I do hope he can limit the TOs and find his shot though...

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Excellent assessment. A lot of our fans I think wanted Archie to treat Lander like Underwood played Curbelo. Let him go out there and make mistakes while learning what it takes to be a college point guard...

Archie was never going to do that with his emphasis on low turnovers and defense. Plus, he didn't have the luxury of a Dosunmu or Cockburn to make up for those mistakes.

And it was a bad fit for Khristian...I think he'll be much better in a more open, free wheeling offense. I do hope he can limit the TOs and find his shot though...

This! I agree 100%. Archie just overall was so rigid...so afraid of mistakes...so controlling of every facet of the team it seemed. Kids worried about shots, worried about turnovers, worried about missing an assignment. Don't get me wrong you don't want those things but I think there is no doubt in anyone's mind that this team played TIGHT. Almost afraid on offense. Nobody was going to go off script for sure! Which is why teams could so easily prepare for us...why the offense looked methodical and almost going through the motions until we got it to Trayce to create or we forced up a shot late in the clock. Lander was a kid that was not refined. Lots of raw talent and potential but certainly not a point guard that was going to excel in a rigid offense. The kid has a little wild west in him. He is at his best when he is off script...kind of like a qb that plays best scrambling and not a pocket passer. Rob fit what Archie wanted....even though he offered no upside..and honestly looked like he was a defeated kid just running the system. Almost robotic. I am truly hoping Lander will see more space in which to work and freedom in which to make plays...because I think that suits him best. I also want to see him taking more runners, drives, and jumpers inside the arc then just standing 3 feet behind the line so he can get an uncontested 3 off. That's a bad habit....one I think he learned at IU. He hears only take an open look....well if I step back 3-4 feet behind the line no one can close out that far and then I'm open. I'd much rather take a somewhat contested shot right at the line then open 3 feet behind...because that far back he just doesn't have the touch and stroke to drill that. That's for guys that already shoot a high percentage so to get more looks you move a little further out.  All in all I expect him to have a lower A/TO ratio than most point guards but I expect him to make more plays in an open and well spaced offense because of his athleticism and court vision than say someone like Rob who became almost a system qb that just didn't make plays for others. Time will tell....but I think Khristian will be more comfortable in this offense. In the end though he will have to make shots and lets hope that improves.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

man i so badly want to see him what we thought he would be.  i definitely think it is more than likely to happen.  he could be so fun to watch if he is flying down the floor and hitting open guys all over the place.  

You watch his AAU tape...he is flying past guys and hitting Trey and Anthony with one handed passes right in the shooting pocket....they didn't have to reach left/right up/down...I mean putting it right on guys. The Ja Morant skill. Ability to play at a high speed and find open guys...but not just get the ball to them. Hit them right in the pocket....so they can immediately shoot, dribble, pass. That extra half second when a guy doesn't have to recover a pass that pulls him off balance or away from triple threat...it's an infinity in college basketball. Teams help and recover so fast...are so long and athletic...that extra half second is the difference between contested and uncontested 3's...having a driving lane available or it closing...and quick reversal second pass that catches the defense in no mans land for the hockey assist. Lander has that unique ability to get a ball into places most can't and most couldn't even envision. That passing talent along with his ability to break down a defense is what makes him special. It's what we need from him and hope this new system frees him up to do. Adding some shooting/scoring....and then you have NBA potential.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I give Lander a pass for last year.  To me this is his true freshman year.  Lets see what he can do.

I would agree with this. The best way to practice for the next step is to be in the next step. Dominating high school ball for another year probably wouldnt have made any more prepared for college ball. Playing in college for a year prepared him to play college ball, albeit it was not a great system for him. but there was definitely a difference between the beginning and the end of last year with Lander

• Like 2