Colonial Pipeline

14 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

It like almost sounds tactical. hmmm

Sure...never let a crisis go to waste...it's no coincidence for sure....there is a change a coming...and if we have to hurry it a long well so be it doesn't matter who it hurts in the mean time as long as our goal is achieved in the end.

• Like 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9570811/Fight-breaks-NC-gas-pump-amid-Russian-cyberattack-fuel-crisis.html

My dad delivered fuel for a local oil company to the company owned gas stations. Went with him sometimes. 

The real problem will come refilling these stations. They will all be demanding delivery at once and it takes time to fill a tank. Also, a truck will only be carrying one type of octane. Most stations have 87,89,91,93. So you can only fill one tank at a time. It's going to be a mess. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9570811/Fight-breaks-NC-gas-pump-amid-Russian-cyberattack-fuel-crisis.html

My dad delivered fuel for a local oil company to the company owned gas stations. Went with him sometimes. 

The real problem will come refilling these stations. They will all be demanding delivery at once and it takes time to fill a tank. Also, a truck will only be carrying one type of octane. Most stations have 87,89,91,93. So you can only fill one tank at a time. It's going to be a mess. 

Wow.  You know your gas from a hole in the ground?  LOL

76 (gas station) - Wikipedia

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I believe they are waiving a lot of the summer formulations to make it easier to restock. If you own a corvette, you might have to wait a little longer for your 93?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

It like almost sounds tactical. hmmm

I've seen rumours along those lines. A bit too easy too blame the Russians. If it was them, you would expect to see a massive retaliatory strike soon. Time will tell and conspiracy theories will run wild in the meantime but I'm not taking anything put out at face value.

• Like 1

Update from GA. The city I work in is about 30 miles south of Atlanta airport! They are pretty much out of gas. The rural communities around were I live have been rationing, so they still have gas. Seems almost backwards, as my work city is one of the more elite cities and where I live is considered one of the poorest and uneducated!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Ruh roh.

Got word this morning by someone in the know that my town could be out by the end of the day. Well one station already is and the other 2 are packed. 

Filling up both vehicles and my cans. 

In sw Florida we get gas from ships....yet guess what. We are about to be out too because of all the people panicking and making a mountain out of a molehill. People filling up like there is a hurricane...same reason we had no toilet paper for a month. Never underestimate the stupidity of man.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I've seen rumours along those lines. A bit too easy too blame the Russians. If it was them, you would expect to see a massive retaliatory strike soon. Time will tell and conspiracy theories will run wild in the meantime but I'm not taking anything put out at face value.

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium-what-a-future-cyberwar-will-look-like-1.7441901
we are already in ww3...it just isn’t being carried out with conventional weapons. Many of the people instigating the warfare aren’t even part of a govt entity persay...but let’s be real there is a wink wink and they don’t have to be told who to target. I know I heard it somewhere but don’t have time to find it...ww3 will be fought with 1 and 0s. None of our infrastructure is safe. Might very well be the electrical grid next time. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium-what-a-future-cyberwar-will-look-like-1.7441901
we are already in ww3...it just isn’t being carried out with conventional weapons. Many of the people instigating the warfare aren’t even part of a govt entity persay...but let’s be real there is a wink wink and they don’t have to be told who to target. I know I heard it somewhere but don’t have time to find it...ww3 will be fought with 1 and 0s. None of our infrastructure is safe. Might very well be the electrical grid next time. 

Not yet defined but considered 5th generation warfare.  As far as the electrical grid we should not be using chinese components in the grid but we are. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I believe they are waiving a lot of the summer formulations to make it easier to restock. If you own a corvette, you might have to wait a little longer for your 93?

Yes waiving many of the fuel requirements can help eliminate some stress but it will take time to get that fuel into the market because the pipelines are a big part of getting the fuel delivered. I think what you are seeing is over reliance, lack of security, and lack of redundancy in the system. Probably can be said that shutting down pipelines may not be the best solution until we have safely moved on from what we currently have. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I don't want to get political but we were in pretty darn good shape as far as energy independence just a few years back.

I don't get this love for battery cars either. Electricity isn't free and people think power plants aren't creating as bad a carbon footprint as a gas car? The mining the precious minerals etc to make a lithium battery has it's own harmful effects (albeit in poor third world countries). Then you have the disposal of old batteries that are harmful...I'm all for clean energy but let's not act like electric is all upside. Besides...what do you do in California and other areas where you have rolling blackouts because the grid is already overloaded...but we got to keep adding more stress on the system. Anyways it's not a simple solution that is for sure. I do support one though as we all want to see our reliance on our enemies from everything from computer chips, medicine, and our energy is just dumb dumb dumb.

Some good points in here. My next vehicle might be an electric pickup but it won't for "green" reasons. We are at a point where many of the early solar panels have reached the end of their lifespans and are being discarded in landfills because we don't have a recycling program for them. Lots of rare earh minerals and other components just being thrown out. John Kerry recently admitted

that many of these solar panels come from slave labor in China as they try to dump their stuff on us to gain market share and drive competitors out of business. Too few people are paying attention to any of this.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Some good points in here. My next vehicle might be an electric pickup but it won't for "green" reasons. We are at a point where many of the early solar panels have reached the end of their lifespans and are being discarded in landfills because we don't have a recycling program for them. Lots of rare earh minerals and other components just being thrown out. John Kerry recently admitted

that many of these solar panels come from slave labor in China as they try to dump their stuff on us to gain market share and drive competitors out of business. Too few people are paying attention to any of this.

Yeah I don’t want to get into the political weeds this doesn’t have to be that argument...simply there are tons of other consequences from mining the minerals and resources that go into it and while the carbon footprint might be reduced there are other problems created. It’s why we don’t need to demonize anyone that says it’s a process that needs to be slowly and methodically worked out otherwise you trade one crisis for another. I mean look at the consequences of offshoring all our production for the “global” good/economy...starts out with t-shirts and shoes and before you know it’s even the most sensitive electronics, medical equipment, and basic necessities. The first strike in any conflict is to destroy supply lines of your enemy. We have little to no control of ours anymore and that is scary. The stuff this pandemic and these emergency situations should be a warning alarm to everyone that we need to fix things and fix them fast because how truly vulnerable we really are. Our country could easily be brought to its knees and not a single shot fired.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Reacher said:

It’s MUCH larger than this, our domestic Environmentalists have moved an amazing number of manufacturing processes out of the United States! Chrome plating for instance, I’ve personally witnessed an operator in China take the rack of parts coming out of one of the tanks and proceeding to spin it like the Wheel of Fortune throwing those chemicals around. They take stuff we outlaw and routinely pour it down the drain. If those environmentalists think they have done the world a good thing, they are completely clueless! They need to actually visit China manufacturing!

• Like 3

I know there is a reason I don’t visit these social threads too often...just talking about this stuff gets my blood pressure all up with things going on in this country. I can only post so much until I would violate rules so I’ll see myself out. Just hope everyone is safe and can get to work until this is over. Also hope this is a wake up call...we’ve had too many lately to ignore the errors around us and hope we galvanize as a nation to fix these issues or at least have open and honest discussion about how to move the country forward instead of people thinking they have the only answers and anyone disagreeing is an enemy and to be hated. Hope we can work together for our children’s future.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

It’s MUCH larger than this, our domestic Environmentalists have moved an amazing number of manufacturing processes out of the United States! Chrome plating for instance, I’ve personally witnessed an operator in China take the rack of parts coming out of one of the tanks and proceeding to spin it like the Wheel of Fortune throwing those chemicals around. They take stuff we outlaw and routinely pour it down the drain. If those environmentalists think they have done the world a good thing, they are completely clueless! They need to actually visit China manufacturing!

Environmentalists solutions to problems create more environmental problems than they fix. I dont want to hear from these people until Nuclear energy is part of the discussion.  

Electric cars for example.  Where the hell do these fart sniffers think the energy they charge their vehicles comes from. Oh, duh, fossil fuel generated electricity.  

• Like 1

Anyone read Comics?

I saw a good one today. The Villon spread a pandemic that he knew was only .5% effective, but that was the genius. He knew that 65% of the population of Gotham would eat itself in fear, causing the chaos that he wanted to start to begin with. It was like he studied 9/11 or something, he used their freedoms against themselves and they helped escalate the chaos which led to their demise. 

And to think, teenagers think this stuff up for others to react to.      

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Reacher said:

I've been following this story since it started. 17 states have now declared an emergency. The original thinking was everything should be on line in a few days and with many terminals at capacity, it would be a non issue. It is really the hoarding and panic buying that created problems so far. Now the biq question is how long will it last. It's supposed to be largely resolved by the weekend. You can look for gas here- https://tracker.gasbuddy.com/

Even though Kentucky is not affected, they are still hoarding-

2021-05-12_11-29-47.png?itok=nwSM87t1

Yeah, the panic buying will prolong this. Patrick DeHaan of  Gasbuddy said that tanker trucks deliver supply that normally lasts 3-5 days and now it's being bought up in just a few hours.  I read somewhere that that picture was taken in Mexico a couple of years ago.

Not that I think I'll need it but we keep a 300 gallon tank at home next to the garage and occasionally order a fill.  Mostly, we use it to fill lawn mowers, generators and our 4-wheeler.  Every once in awhile, we fill a vehicle in a pinch.  Just filled it last October for $2.18/gallon and was amazed to see that it was last filled in 2015!  Large sealed tanks seem to preserve the fuel a lot better than small plastic containers.  Anyway, I'd guess the tank is still 90% full no faster than we use it.  Not expecting this issue to last very long at least in the Midwest, but it's nice to know we have a solid fallback for awhile if necessary.

...and for those of you who love Impractical Jokers...

signal-2021-05-12-140926.thumb.jpeg.8a60e5896196cf6193e2e79a1e70103b.jpeg

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

Yeah, the panic buying will prolong this. Patrick DeHaan of  Gasbuddy said that tanker trucks deliver supply that normally lasts 3-5 days and now it's being bought up in just a few hours.  I read somewhere that that picture was taken in Mexico a couple of years ago.

I think I've seen that pic 5 different places since I posted it. It is has gone viral.

14 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Heading back to Michigan tomorrow from Tennessee. My tank is full but pulling a camper I only get 10 miles per gallon. I need another tankfull to make it home.

Quick question:

How many 5 gallon jugs can you fit in the camper?

• Haha 1