Jerome Hunter will not return

Writing was on the wall that the roster was not set. Multiple coaches had mentioned they are still looking at the portal and you wouldn't do that if things were going to stay the same. It was just a matter of time and who would be leaving.

I'm hoping they add more size. What seems to be missing is another veteran athletic big or another inside/out player with more to offer than Hunter. Can't imagine another guard being added unless more leave.

As for Jerome, we all pulled for him to overcome his health issues and succeed. It just didn't work out. My impression is he may not fit in with the new system and he either realized that or the coaches were honest with him and suggested moving on. If you were to gauge his game to this point you would have to admit there are a lot of holes in his skill set. He may continue to develop the further he moves on from his leg issue but he is not a great ball handler, not a great shooter, not strong enough inside, and more than anything he was not a great defender. My guess is he ends up playing at a mid-major or lower level and having some success. Best of luck to Jerome.

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 1

on to the next new shiny object.....

Unless I missed it, there hasn't been much talk of EJ Onu on here. Anybody know if he's still being considered?

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/transfer-portal-names-to-know-naia-all-american-ej-onu/

According to Givony’s report, Onu has very attractive measurables at 6-foot-11, 240 pounds and a 7-foot-6 wingspan — and he combines those physical attributes with a highly versatile skillset.  Onu is athletic, mobile, can run the floor, and he can score inside and out.

For his 2020-21 senior season, Onu averaged 16.9 points, 8.1 rebounds, and 4.5 blocks on 57.3 percent shooting from the floor overall including 40 percent from three-point range on 130 attempts. He scored in double-figures in each of Shawnee State’s first 30 games and 31 of the team’s 33 in all.

Of course Onu has garnered significant honors at the NAIA level.  He is a two-time NAIA All-American, NABC-NAIA All-American, three-time Mid-South Conference Defensive Player of the Year, 2020-21 Mid-South Conference Player of the Year.  Onu is Shawnee State’s all-time leader in blocked shots.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HoosierMama said:

What am I missing here?  I don't remember any off court problems with Hunter?

News to me as well. I just think Jerome was an Archie guy through and through. Only waited until after the semester ended and had time to discuss with his family before making the decision public.

The staff have been too active in recruiting not to expect this.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DocHoosier said:

Good luck Jerome!

I am happy Woody is building the team he wants without restrictions. Start of Arch’s tenure it seemed he was attempting to keep all old pieces and making them fit in his system. 

Archie seemed to have been handcuffed....one thing is for sure....Archie didn't leave the cupboard bare....Woody has a lot more tools to start with then Crean or Archie had. I have high expectations out the gate....so Woody better not disappoint.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

JH was suspended by CAM for 2-3 games this past year as a “coach’s decision”. That may be what he was referring to. As the actual details I’m not sure anybody knows. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not too upset about this one... Mike Woodson recruited over him with Kopp.  It’s a shame he could never live up to the hype with his leg condition.

An athletic, shot blocking big is a more pressing need for this roster anyway.  Let’s see who Mike Woodson brings in.

You are correct on the big....when coach was in college freshmen didnt play much. in the nba most rookies dont play at all. I dont see freshmen playing much at IU going forward. The portal might change that but  you never know.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

12 minutes ago, IUaic said:

News to me as well. I just think Jerome was an Archie guy through and through. Only waited until after the semester ended and had time to discuss with his family before making the decision public.

The staff have been too active in recruiting not to expect this.

He had a 3 game DNP-CD last year right in the middle of the year...Never said what it was for...he didn't dress for one of those...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

Wasn't he suspended during the season and missed a couple games when we obviously needed him?  Never heard why but maybe the behavior didn't change.

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

You are correct on the big....when coach was in college freshmen didnt play much. in the nba most rookies dont play at all. I dont see freshmen playing much at IU going forward. The portal might change that but  you never know.

Bates may change that too. That young man might not start right away but dang-it he looks so smooth with the basketball....oozing talent.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

Woodson started as a frosh.  And during Woody's playing career he saw frosh Ray Tolbert, Randy Wittman, and Isiah start.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Woodson started as a frosh.  And during Woody's playing career he saw frosh Ray Tolbert, Randy Wittman, and Isiah start.

If we bring in talent like that...they will start as a freshman lol. Woody will play the best for sure. Why I think Bates will earn time very quickly. Duncomb is kind of in the Lander boat with me. Both young for their class (reclass with Khristian and Duncomb is only 17) so maybe if we do land another big it might not hurt to save a year for Logan and let him add some strength and learn how the B1G play goes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

JH was suspended by CAM for 2-3 games this past year as a “coach’s decision”. That may be what he was referring to. As the actual details I’m not sure anybody knows. 

Thanks!  I had completely forgotten about that.  Just proves my complete apathy about IU basketball this last year.  I'm excited to be excited again!  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Never got his feet under him.  I admire his class in participating in team workouts and finishing the semester before going to the portal.  

Hunter had a tough run here.  Serious blood clot condition his frosh year he never seemed to recover from in terms of confidence.  Jerome’s talents were never utilized, and always seemed in the doghouse.  He did need to work on his defensive want-to, but still disappointed to see him leave.  

That said, excited to see who Coach gets.  Dare I mention: pass the ketchup.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Scale of 1-10, how surprised are you guys?

Not surprised at all, especially after seeing the Fife interview. Fife made it clear they were not done adding players (I.e. someone else was going to leave) and he went on and on about Rob’s potential which led me to believe Rob was staying. We heard how Leal and Galloway were solid with IU, numerous statements from TJD etc, etc but virtually nothing about Hunter or his future with the team.

• Thanks 1