Jerome Hunter will not return

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

No problem. To each their own. If you felt that all along about Jerome then that is fair. I know there were several people that doubted his ability when he signed. Just the kid that was in HS is not the kid that ended up at IU. I saw a kid with a ton of talent in Hunter...but that kid never stepped on the floor at IU. Ever. By the time he did he was a shell of himself from all he had endured. That injury sapped all the athleticism, quickness out of him. Combine that with the coaching and development he got...it was underwhelming how he turned out. I'm not going to argue the point. 

Or maybe the injury didn’t “sap” anything out and he was never going to be what you saw in high school. Two different levels. 

• Like 2

Not like a former member here who essentially divorced any player who chose not to finish his career as a Hoosier.

Jerome gave all he could while playing for CAM. Never going to dismiss that. Never going to denigrate a guy who overcame a health issue that, at one point looked like it was career threatening.

Good luck Jerome. Have a great career playing for Xavier. Live your dream 

• Like 7

i really have no interest in him now that he is gone.  feel bad for him with the injury, but i was never a fan.  he didn't like defense.  didn't seem like he was super motivated.  clearly he did something to get himself suspended last season and then something else to get shown the door.  i don't have any ill will toward him, but don't care about what he does from here either.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

No just choosing to root for the guy who didn’t leave us for Virginia . Hunter seems to be saying he was forced out. I also like upsets. Xavier over Virginia would be an upset .

You misunderstand...proposal was IU vs. Xavier AND IU vs. Virginia.

Thus, the confusion over you rooting for X.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i really have no interest in him now that he is gone.  feel bad for him with the injury, but i was never a fan.  he didn't like defense.  didn't seem like he was super motivated.  clearly he did something to get himself suspended last season and then something else to get shown the door.  i don't have any ill will toward him, but don't care about what he does from here either.  

I have kind of a combo view of yours and Steub's...

No ill will, especially since it appears he would have been willing to stay, BUT...sure looks like there were some issues with discipline/behavior/ambition.  Whatever it was, CMW thought it was enough to move on and I'm OK with that.

No coasting on scholarship...you're either in, or you're out.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Jerome Hunter projected as a good fit in Mike Woodson’s system. The new IU head coach talked about why that didn’t work out and what he thinks about his arsenal of 3-point shooters who remain.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/mike-woodson-calls-jerome-hunters-transfer-mutual-parting-of-ways/

Still looking for more shooting....the new 2000's Indiana Hoosiers.....something that would have been scoffed at in the 80's/90's. Surprised no mention of Leal or Stewart who project along with Kopp to be our best 3 pt shooters....interesting...were they part of the convo with Dustin?

36 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Jerome Hunter projected as a good fit in Mike Woodson’s system. The new IU head coach talked about why that didn’t work out and what he thinks about his arsenal of 3-point shooters who remain.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/mike-woodson-calls-jerome-hunters-transfer-mutual-parting-of-ways/

A few things that stood out to me:

• Woody mentioned Kopp can play 2-4
  • Talks a lot about Galloway, but not about Leal
  • Wants Race to be able to make threes for us
  • He wants the team to put in the work to compete big time next year 
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

A few things that stood out to me:

• Woody mentioned Kopp can play 2-4
  • Talks a lot about Galloway, but not about Leal
  • Wants Race to be able to make threes for us
  • He wants the team to put in the work to compete big time next year 

Yep. I still think Race starts. The guards will fight it out to see who plays those other spots. I think they are high on Xavier being a big piece of the team (seems like a vocal leader imo) but the other two wings could easily be Bates and Kopp or Rob and Parker....lots of possibilities. Not sure I see Kopp at the 2 much. He is just a little to slow of foot imo. If defense is going to be Woody's calling card then I'm not sure Miller is going to be the guy that I would count on to be a lock down defender on the wing. Even that highlight video I posted on his thread...he just isn't quick to get anywhere really lol. More of a Joe Harris type hopefully.

Edited by dgambill

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep. I still think Race starts. The guards will fight it out to see who plays those other spots. I think they are high on Xavier being a big piece of the team (seems like a vocal leader imo) but the other two wings could easily be Bates and Kopp or Rob and Parker....lots of possibilities. Not sure I see Kopp at the 2 much. He is just a little to slow of foot imo. If defense is going to be Woody's calling card then I'm not sure Miller is going to be the guy that I would count on to be a lock down defender on the wing. Even that highlight video I posted on his thread...he just isn't quick to get anywhere really lol. More of a Joe Harris type hopefully.

Yeah, I personally think Kopp gets a lot of his minutes at the 4, but we shall see. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Jerome Hunter speaks out on his time at IU 

Some interesting tidbits...

"Hunter said he has not spoken to Miller since the two parted ways."

“I felt like Indiana was kind of, I didn’t have my free range of game at Indiana, but being at Xavier with coach Steele, he’s letting me play,” he said. “Being with him, he’s going to let me and everybody see how I can play, really. I would say it was the style of play at Indiana, just my minutes, me fitting in over there. I didn’t really fit in, so I’m hoping Xavier’s gonna be the right fit for me.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Jerome Hunter speaks out on his time at IU 

Some interesting tidbits...

"Hunter said he has not spoken to Miller since the two parted ways."

“I felt like Indiana was kind of, I didn’t have my free range of game at Indiana, but being at Xavier with coach Steele, he’s letting me play,” he said. “Being with him, he’s going to let me and everybody see how I can play, really. I would say it was the style of play at Indiana, just my minutes, me fitting in over there. I didn’t really fit in, so I’m hoping Xavier’s gonna be the right fit for me.”

Not that you're saying this, but I don't think that's really an indictment of Archie Miller. 

It's just the reality that it's tough to "play your game" and get minutes when you miss your entire freshmen season and are basically just trying to get into shape your entire RS freshmen season. 

The medical issues just really set him back and never allowed him to get his game right. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not that you're saying this, but I don't think that's really an indictment of Archie Miller. 

It's just the reality that it's tough to "play your game" and get minutes when you miss your entire freshmen season and are basically just trying to get into shape your entire RS freshmen season. 

The medical issues just really set him back and never allowed him to get his game right. 

If there's one thing I'm disappointed in it's Archie's inaction on all fronts since he got the axe. 

Everybody stumbles in life, but it's what you do when you get back up that matters. So far, I don't think he's handled it like a man should. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If there's one thing I'm disappointed in it's Archie's inaction on all fronts since he got the axe. 

Everybody stumbles in life, but it's what you do when you get back up that matters. So far, I don't think he's handled it like a man should. 

I have no hate for Archie, but his career as a major conference head coach may be over.  He doesn't seem to have the personality or passion for it, didn't seem especially well-liked by his players, his tenure here was a bust, and he acts like a recluse.  

• Like 8

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

I agree with the injury part but in regards to Hunter and Archie not speaking at all…..the Archie tenure was really bad and somehow “off”. Countless posts have called Crean a weirdo etc but its hard to deny the many pictures with Crean and ex-players that have graduated/left IU, such as CWat, Yogi, Vic etc,:and those players say great to see coach, happy birthday coach, thanks coach etc, etc.  I don’t recall a single player thanking Archie on senior night, visibly communicating with him etc. So glad we moved on.

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 8

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think I've ever witnessed what I've witnessed with him since getting the axe. Not one word. Maybe something else is going on but man....the FBI should take lessons from him on witness protection. My man is deep in the underground.

PS....wish Jerome all the best. He was my guy when he first showed besides Romeo. Injuries and other things derailed that it seems.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I agree with the injury part but in regards to Hunter and Archie not speaking at all…..the Archie tenure was really bad and somehow “off”. Countless posts have called Crean a weirdo etc but its hard to deny the many pictures with Crean and players that have graduated/left IU, such as CWat, Yogi, Vic etc,:and those players say great to see coach, happy birthday coach, thanks coach etc, etc.  I don’t recall a single player thanking Archie on senior night, visibly communicating with him etc. So glad we moved on.

From what i can see, like you said, the majority of Creans former players seem to care for him and support him. While i imagine most of Millers players like and support him you just don't get the sense that they are all warm and fuzzy with him. The Hoosiers made the right move when they fired Crean but i would take him over Miller any day of the week and it wouldn't even be close.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree.  Crean had his issues and quirks but no one in their right mind would say that he wasn't a lot better than Miller at IU.

I supported  Miller until the last 10-ish games last season.  I simply gave up and quit watching and that's saying a lot for a sunshine pumper like me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Agree.  Crean had his issues and quirks but no one in their right mind would say that he wasn't a lot better than Miller at IU.

I supported  Miller until the last 10-ish games last season.  I simply gave up and quit watching and that's saying a lot for a sunshine pumper like me.

I was never real big on the Miller hiring but i was one that thought it MIGHT work out. The Coach Knight game against Turdue he completly lost me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

I was never real big on the Miller hiring but i was one that thought it MIGHT work out. The Coach Knight game against Turdue he completly lost me.

Agree. I felt at the time, it was a non-recoverable event. Can’t imagine a Purdue team playing like IU did on a night they were honoring Keady

• Like 3

On 7/31/2021 at 10:22 AM, Zuckerkorn said:

I have no hate for Archie, but his career as a major conference head coach may be over.  He doesn't seem to have the personality or passion for it, didn't seem especially well-liked by his players, his tenure here was a bust, and he acts like a recluse.  

People always attribute Archie's failure to basically being unlikeable.  I don't necessarily disagree with this- but I think it's important to consider the following...

-The transfer rate during Archie's time wasn't that high.  Every player that left looked like they might either see a reduction in minutes or weren't going to play the next season either.

- He recruited pretty well.  And hell- how well could he have recruited we didn't suck so bad?  If we don't fall apart in 2019- do we get Brooks?  

- There wasn't that much drama from his players.  See Wisconsin.

Again- I'm not completely disagreeing with this.  However, for a losing coach, Archie's teams didn't have the obvious indicators of a program in pure meltdown mode because they disliked Archie.

But please- do not misinterpret this as a defense of the Archie era.  It needed to end and Im' glad it did.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

People always attribute Archie's failure to basically being unlikeable.  I don't necessarily disagree with this- but I think it's important to consider the following...

-The transfer rate during Archie's time wasn't that high.  Every player that left looked like they might either see a reduction in minutes or weren't going to play the next season either.

- He recruited pretty well.  And hell- how well could he have recruited we didn't suck so bad?  If we don't fall apart in 2019- do we get Brooks?  

- There wasn't that much drama from his players.  See Wisconsin.

Again- I'm not completely disagreeing with this.  However, for a losing coach, Archie's teams didn't have the obvious indicators of a program in pure meltdown mode because they disliked Archie.

But please- do not misinterpret this as a defense of the Archie era.  It needed to end and Im' glad it did.

It really is hard to tell if they liked him or not with all the losing.  Lack of effort on the court.  Back talking and general distain for any coaching he did during the game and throughout his time as the head coach.

The more we lost; the more we struggled to score; the more our offense was exposed as basic and pedestrian; the more announcers, other teams and players called us out for being soft and easy, Each time this happened, players, coaches, and fan lost more and more respect and trust of CAM.  To the point players would blatantly ignore or clap back at coach when coming off the court.  Fans were booing on in the stands and calling for his job.

But did they like him, i don't know.  Maybe.  They sure didn't act like they respected him at all.

I am not dogging on CAM.  He took the job.  I assume he tried his absolute best to win games.  He just failed.  It happens to allot of people, including high paid coaches.

• Like 2