Jerome Hunter will not return

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Some call them thugs. I call them winners. 25 wins in 08 before our own dismantled things was our 4th highest win total season since 1993. I don't know. I kind of liked when we won. 

On the court that team was special. I have no problem giving kids second chances or taking high risk kids...I just think the problem brought on was that Sampson had too many high risk kids. In the absense of true leadership on that team that void has to be filled....and unfortunately off the court some kids that could have gone on to do great got caught up with others and fell into trouble. Nothing wrong with say any of those kids coming to IU on their own or even a couple. But a lax coach and a team without strong player leadership it was a recipe for disaster. You hope your culture is strong enough to withstand testing...but Sampson didn't put the time in and have the right cast of players to create that culture that could handle all that came together. Culture doesn't just pass down from one coach to the next or over generations....that's evident here. Culture has to be molded and instilled by the coach and his players each and every year. If you haven't built that or put that together...you bring in some troubled youth and it can go sideways quick and take some of your good ones with it. Just have to be careful how you build and sustain a program. Probably why Jerome wasn't put up with even though he has a lot of untapped potential. Woody is aware of the culture he wants to establish and wasn't going to risk it.

• Like 1

I don't care how this all came about but I will tell you that Jerome Hunter was my #1 biggest disappointment for the season as many times he laid a goose egg on the box score.  Just inexcusable for a player of his potential and all season I couldn't put a finger on why such a dismal performance.  Rob & Jerome were supposed to be the face of IU Nation to pair with TJD but for whatever reason both players just DISAPPEARED in 2020!  All the hype about this guy getting his leg healthy enough to play and he just doesn't have the heart to give it his all is just maddening.  Still can't explain the disappearance of Jerome Hunter but I have moved on and if any of the late to practice rumblings are true then that is all I need to know.  Hope this young man gets his priorities straight and makes something of his self after blowing a career opportunity.

Edited by BornHoosier
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I never bought into the Hunter was an NBA talented kid.  I think he was a product of the Romeo quote of him being the best player on the team and a NBA talent.  Maybe the raw physical tools were there but he never had it between the ears.  His defense made Blackmon Jr look like an All B1G defender.  He made terrible decision at terrible times on multiple occasions.  He was just a good enough shooter at times to make everyone think he was going to break out.

Maybe this is all CAM's fault since Rob never developed either, but at some point, a player is exactly what we see on the floor.  Injury or not.  The injury didn't impact his ability to learn the offense or defense and make good mental decisions.

Just my though.  Feel free to disagree.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I never bought into the Hunter was an NBA talented kid.  I think he was a product of the Romeo quote of him being the best player on the team and a NBA talent.  Maybe the raw physical tools were there but he never had it between the ears.  His defense made Blackmon Jr look like an All B1G defender.  He made terrible decision at terrible times on multiple occasions.  He was just a good enough shooter at times to make everyone think he was going to break out.

Maybe this is all CAM's fault since Rob never developed either, but at some point, a player is exactly what we see on the floor.  Injury or not.  The injury didn't impact his ability to learn the offense or defense and make good mental decisions.

Just my though.  Feel free to disagree.

I just never understood after watching him for two or three years in college, people saying "Jerome Hunter was a Top 50 player in HS." I mean, yeah sure a couple "recruiting analysts" pegged him as that, but it is apparent they missed on him and missed, at this point, significantly bad.

Aaron Henry.. same grade. ranked #140 coming out of HS. Best player in the MIC and had won a state championship for BD.

• Like 4

On 5/21/2021 at 1:08 PM, btownqb said:

I just never understood after watching him for two or three years in college, people saying "Jerome Hunter was a Top 50 player in HS." I mean, yeah sure a couple "recruiting analysts" pegged him as that, but it is apparent they missed on him and missed, at this point, significantly bad.

Aaron Henry.. same grade. ranked #140 coming out of HS. Best player in the MIC and had won a state championship for BD.

The kid was oozing talent and potential in HS. We never got that Jerome Hunter at Indiana. Things changed after his injury but the potential was there at the start. It is what it is..happens all the time in college but Hunter was a great player from one of the premier HS in Ohio. He was a legit top 50 talent...at the time there was no way to know how devistating that injury would be to his growth and development.

How things turned out aside we all know what each kid did with their opportunities and who knows if Hunter plays at Michigan St or Ohio st and not under Archie and doesn’t have a life changing illness but at the time you can’t argue it. To me it was always Damezi vs Henry anyways.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The kid was oozing talent and potential in HS. We never got that Jerome Hunter at Indiana. Things changed after his injury but the potential was there at the start. It is what it is..happens all the time in college but Hunter was a great player from one of the premier HS in Ohio. He was a legit top 50 talent...at the time there was no way to know how devistating that injury would be to his growth and development.

How things turned out aside we all know what each kid did with their opportunities and who knows if Hunter plays at Michigan St or Ohio st and not under Archie and doesn’t have a life changing illness but at the time you can’t argue it. To me it was always Damezi vs Henry anyways.

I'm not going to back down from what I said. Oozing with talent? What has he shown? He cannot take you off the dribble, he doesn't play great defense, he rebounds avg for his size. He doesn't make good decisions. He is a below avg shooter. He drop step faded away once or twice that looked cute. Not really a relevant move for D1 basketball though. It will look good in men's leagues later.

What on a basketball court does he do that should make him a Top 50 player? Other than being 6'7? I wish him the best of luck at XU, hope he goes and plays very well and has a tremendous life, I really do. It's just crazy how long some of you hold on to that "top 50 on 247" label someone gave him when he was a 16yr old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm not going to back down from what I said. Oozing with talent? What has he shown? He cannot take you off the dribble, he doesn't play great defense, he rebounds avg for his size. He doesn't make good decisions. He is a below avg shooter. He drop step faded away once or twice that looked cute. Not really a relevant move for D1 basketball though. It will look good in men's leagues later.

What on a basketball court does he do that should make him a Top 50 player? Other than being 6'7? I wish him the best of luck at XU, hope he goes and plays very well and has a tremendous life, I really do. It's just crazy how long some of you hold on to that "top 50 on 247" label someone gave him when he was a 16yr old.

I just showed you in HS he could do all those things....forget everything you know of Jerome in college...if you changed the name and this was a 22 recruit you don't think this is a top 50 kid with potential in these HS tapes. Kid wasn't getting invited to top 100 camps for no reason. He wasn't getting recruited by Ohio St for no reason. He played at one of the premier schools and competition in Ohio.  He wasn't an athletic freak but he had a quick first step. He had a pop in his game that he lost after his injury here. He was able to get to his spots and score at ease. 6'7 and can score at all 3 levels...that's pretty special. This isn't a case of Jerome being overhyped. This is the case of a kid that had a life threatening illness. An injury that sapped strength and athleticism from his body and set him back. Effected his growth as a basketball player both mentally and physically. The kid now is a shell of what he was in HS. That's sad but that doesn't change what he was coming out of HS. Sure a number is just a number...it's very subjective...but the skill set that he possessed and the tools he had to go with his size and shooting...it was there to be worked with. Not only did he have a horrible injury but then he played under perhaps the worst coach we've had here at Indiana...especially in regards to player development. There is no arguement Hunter will never play like a top 50 kid again. But I find it difficult to say this wasn't a kid with potential to be a special college basketball player...that obviously didn't achieve them.

Again...to me the arguement was always should we have taken Damezi over Henry. I give Henry tons of credit. This is a kid that has gotten the most out of his potential. He has maxed out every bit out of his himself. Credit to him and Izzo and staff for doing that. There is no measure for what is in a kids heart...and it's very very hard to find that out. You would think Henry was the kind of player that Archie would target over Anderson...so who knows. I'd probably go as far as to say had Henry gone anywhere else than Michigan St.....probably wouldn't be nearly the ball player he became. Including IU.

Edited by dgambill

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Good luck to Jerome...Hope he has success at Xavier...

Yes good luck. Hope he learns something from his time here and from Woody's actions. Maybe it woke something up inside him. There will be no coasting along here at IU. Expectations have risen. Hard lesson to learn but one I'm sure if he takes to heart will better him at his next stop!

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I just showed you in HS he could do all those things....forget everything you know of Jerome in college...if you changed the name and this was a 22 recruit you don't think this is a top 50 kid with potential in these HS tapes. Kid wasn't getting invited to top 100 camps for no reason. He wasn't getting recruited by Ohio St for no reason. He played at one of the premier schools and competition in Ohio.  He wasn't an athletic freak but he had a quick first step. He had a pop in his game that he lost after his injury here. He was able to get to his spots and score at ease. 6'7 and can score at all 3 levels...that's pretty special. This isn't a case of Jerome being overhyped. This is the case of a kid that had a life threatening illness. An injury that sapped strength and athleticism from his body and set him back. Effected his growth as a basketball player both mentally and physically. The kid now is a shell of what he was in HS. That's sad but that doesn't change what he was coming out of HS. Sure a number is just a number...it's very subjective...but the skill set that he possessed and the tools he had to go with his size and shooting...it was there to be worked with. Not only did he have a horrible injury but then he played under perhaps the worst coach we've had here at Indiana...especially in regards to player development. There is no arguement Hunter will never play like a top 50 kid again. But I find it difficult to say this wasn't a kid with potential to be a special college basketball player...that obviously didn't achieve them.

Again...to me the arguement was always should we have taken Damezi over Henry. I give Henry tons of credit. This is a kid that has gotten the most out of his potential. He has maxed out every bit out of his himself. Credit to him and Izzo and staff for doing that. There is no measure for what is in a kids heart...and it's very very hard to find that out. You would think Henry was the kind of player that Archie would target over Anderson...so who knows. I'd probably go as far as to say had Henry gone anywhere else than Michigan St.....probably wouldn't be nearly the ball player he became. Including IU.

Potential is just what you haven't done, the term is widely overused. Henry is a better basketball player than Hunter. He has been the whole time, HS or college.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Potential is just what you haven't done, the term is widely overused. Henry is a better basketball player than Hunter. He has been the whole time, HS or college.

No problem. To each their own. If you felt that all along about Jerome then that is fair. I know there were several people that doubted his ability when he signed. Just the kid that was in HS is not the kid that ended up at IU. I saw a kid with a ton of talent in Hunter...but that kid never stepped on the floor at IU. Ever. By the time he did he was a shell of himself from all he had endured. That injury sapped all the athleticism, quickness out of him. Combine that with the coaching and development he got...it was underwhelming how he turned out. I'm not going to argue the point. 

• Like 3