ACC Away Games

Michigan State vs. Louisville

Penn State vs. Miami

Maryland vs. Virginia Tech

Rutgers vs. Clemson

Illinois vs. Notre Dame

Ohio State vs. Duke

Purdue vs. Florida State

I think its a good matchup! NBA doesn't see a ton of 2-3 matchup zone (although some teams use zone a bit). This will be a great game planning and learning experience for Woody! Also if we are fortunate enough to win in that environment and playing in NY...having a NBA NY coach...would make a HUGE statement.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

On the road against that zone isn't a very good matchup for this team unless their shooting is significantly improved from last year. This will be a good test of how much the additions help in that aspect as well as seeing how much the returning players have improved or not in that regard.

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

B1G will do well to get one W on the road.   Those match ups dont look favorable.  

Amen, but I don’t think our potential L will be due to lesser talent. I’m encouraged at how we stack up against most. Just need a couple guys to come through as the shooters we need and hope the change in system isn’t too much of a shock too early.

19 hours ago, ledies22 said:

From ACCsports.com

ACC Home Games

Syracuse vs. Indiana

NC State vs. Nebraska

Pitt vs. Minnesota

Wake Forest vs. Northwestern

North Carolina vs. Michigan

Georgia Tech vs. Wisconsin

Virginia vs. Iowa

ACC Away Games

Michigan State vs. Louisville

Penn State vs. Miami

Maryland vs. Virginia Tech

Rutgers vs. Clemson

Illinois vs. Notre Dame

Ohio State vs. Duke

Purdue vs. Florida State

Finally an interesting non-conference game, I’ll be looking forward to this one.  The rest of our non-con schedule kind of sucks.

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Amen, but I don’t think our potential L will be due to lesser talent. I’m encouraged at how we stack up against most. Just need a couple guys to come through as the shooters we need and hope the change in system isn’t too much of a shock too early.

Boeheim's kid (Buddy) is pretty good, and the Girard kid is interesting (he scored 4,700+ points in high school but hasn't been consistently good in his 2 college years) but yeah, I think we have as much if not more talent than they do.

They lost 3 of their top 5 scorers, have an incoming freshman that was ranked 30th in the country, and a couple of transfers, Cole Swider from Villanova, and Boeheim's other kid (Jimmy) who averaged 16 ppg at Cornell.

They have some size on their roster, but none with experience. Not sure they have and answer for TJD...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Finally an interesting non-conference game, I’ll be looking forward to this one.  The rest of our non-con schedule kind of sucks.

Definitely our toughest challenge. Would like to see a couple more Power 5 opponents, especially since we drew a bad opponent for the Gavit Games and ND is probably not going to be good next year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Boeheim's kid (Buddy) is pretty good, and the Girard kid is interesting (he scored 4,700+ points in high school but hasn't been consistently good in his 2 college years) but yeah, I think we have as much if not more talent than they do.

They lost 3 of their top 5 scorers, have an incoming freshman that was ranked 30th in the country, and a couple of transfers, Cole Swider from Villanova, and Boeheim's other kid (Jimmy) who averaged 16 ppg at Cornell.

They have some size on their roster, but none with experience. Not sure they have and answer for TJD...

This isn’t a game TJD can just go dominant because he is better than the other big. We are going to have to scheme well for him, and if our shooters aren’t hitting shots to extend the zone I’m not sure it’ll matter. 

I am really looking forward to seeing how we attack the zone. We have the personnel IMO, but we have to have the right game plan and then go execute. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This isn’t a game TJD can just go dominant because he is better than the other big. We are going to have to scheme well for him, and if our shooters aren’t hitting shots to extend the zone I’m not sure it’ll matter. 

I am really looking forward to seeing how we attack the zone. We have the personnel IMO, but we have to have the right game plan and then go execute. 

Yep...although few teams can just sit back and beat the zone from distance. If we can attack and get into the belly of it then we should be able to break it down and get good looks. One thing is that we actually have pretty good size across the board in our guards and wings so hopefully that helps!

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Yep...although few teams can just sit back and beat the zone from distance. If we can attack and get into the belly of it then we should be able to break it down and get good looks. One thing is that we actually have pretty good size across the board in our guards and wings so hopefully that helps!

Right, we aren’t going to just sit back and hit threes. But we have to hit the good looks we get once we get into the middle to make them extend the zone or else they’ll collapse on us in the middle. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I thought we played fairly well against the few zone defenses we saw last year. Sometimes slow to recognize when a team transitioned to it, but pretty good execution wise.

And if we do that, Trayce will get his share...

45 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree. It will be interesting to see how Woodson approaches this. I feel like with Xavier Johnson, Lander, even Galloway, etc., we have some guys that can penetrate the zone and kick out, as opposed to having to shoot over it. 

If TJD can actually shoot, you could also give him some time at the high post where he can shoot, drive or suck in the D and kick out. 

Its also interesting because one of the constant bright spots during the Archie tenure was our zone offense. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

B1G will do well to get one W on the road.   Those match ups dont look favorable.  

I would say I'm shocked by that but I'd be lying. The ACC doesn't have a big lead in this series because they're the better conference top to bottom that much more often than the B1G. I'm pretty sure the criteria used when selecting matchups are best tv ratings matchups followed by best matchups for the ACC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think its a good matchup! NBA doesn't see a ton of 2-3 matchup zone (although some teams use zone a bit). This will be a great game planning and learning experience for Woody! Also if we are fortunate enough to win in that environment and playing in NY...having a NBA NY coach...would make a HUGE statement.

I had the same thought.  Let’s look at it on the road in the regular season (and just in non-conference).  We also have Matta in-house.  We have smart minds to handle this.  And if we aren’t ready for it, better to have exposure to it in the regular season so we can deal with it and not be overwhelmed by it when it truly matters as Cody said Crean was.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Definitely our toughest challenge. Would like to see a couple more Power 5 opponents, especially since we drew a bad opponent for the Gavit Games and ND is probably not going to be good next year. 

You can tell Mike Woodson is still in the honeymoon phase by the lack of hand wringing on the board about how weak the non-conference schedule is, lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You can tell Mike Woodson is still in the honeymoon phase by the lack of hand wringing on the board about how weak the non-conference schedule is, lol.

Syracuse

ND.

St. John's.

N. Kentucky

Marshall

That is not that bad of a start to the non conference schedule.  Add another 1 or 2 good teams and it will be a good non  conference schedule.  You don't want to schedule like MSU and over load on top teams in your first year as coach.

22 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

A new coaching staff including a head coach new to college basketball for a team that finished under 0.500 the previous system at a school that hasn't been to the NCAAT since 2016. I'm okay with a weak non-conference schedule. It gives them a chance to work stuff out while not sacrificing potential wins since there will be a learning curve for both the coaches and players. The summer trip will help but what should be easy wins will also help. Some of the returning players could also probably use the boost of confidence, they seemed to lack that last season.

Besides, it doesn't look as weak as it often was under Crean and Miller. 3 high major schools and some top 150 or 200 teams. I don't think we've seen a school ranked 300+ on the schedule yet. 

Now, if they lose to 20+ at home to schools like IPFW or ISU then I will complain but about the playing and/or coaching and not the scheduling.

• Like 2