2021-2022 Schedule

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You can tell Mike Woodson is still in the honeymoon phase by the lack of hand wringing on the board about how weak the non-conference schedule is, lol.

The guy has only been the coach for like 3 months and in those 3 months has done many, many good things.

We should be ripping him already?

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

The guy has only been the coach for like 3 months and in those 3 months has done many, many good things.

We should be ripping him already?

Not ripping him at all, or saying he should be.

It’s just funny to me, as arguments over non-conference strength of schedule are an annual off-season tradition here on HSN.  And even though this year’s non-con schedule (as currently constructed) appears to be weaker than it’s been in a while, no one seems to be very concerned. I’m all for it — let’s keep riding the Mike Woodson feel good vibes for as long as we can.

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not ripping him at all, or saying he should be.

It’s just funny to me, as arguments over non-conference strength of schedule are an annual off-season tradition here on HSN.  And even though this year’s non-con schedule (as currently constructed) appears to be weaker than it’s been in a while, no one seems to be very concerned. I’m all for it — let’s keep riding the Mike Woodson feel good vibes for as long as we can.

I disagree that it is weaker so far because there are no #300+ teams on the schedule.  The mid major teams we are playing are way better than the low majors we use to play.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

Woodson also said that our non-con would be weaker this year, and I think it makes perfect sense. 

Good. If the league is going to give us 20 conference games....I'll take the annual ACC, Butler/ND...maybe on other and about 8 cream puffs. Nonconference schedules can get you fired. Just ask our last coach. New players and kids need minutes and time together and the only way they can get that is easier competition. I still think Lander's first season was derailed because of basically zero minutes in preseason.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

UNC Asheville at home on 12/29. 

Decent team. RPI usually in the mid 100's somewhere. One of those teams that has ups and downs when some heavy senior classes graduate and takes time for the younger players to step up and replace. They didn't face really anyone at the mid or high major last year so hard to tell. Basically 500 team but who knows if a lot of guys return or graduate. Not a team that size should bother us....level of team that usually relies on guard play which I would think will be to our advantage next year with who we have coming in. At least our cup cakes aren't powder puffs....nothing that should scare us but enough challenge to take teams seriously.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Decent team. RPI usually in the mid 100's somewhere. One of those teams that has ups and downs when some heavy senior classes graduate and takes time for the younger players to step up and replace. They didn't face really anyone at the mid or high major last year so hard to tell. Basically 500 team but who knows if a lot of guys return or graduate. Not a team that size should bother us....level of team that usually relies on guard play which I would think will be to our advantage next year with who we have coming in. At least our cup cakes aren't powder puffs....nothing that should scare us but enough challenge to take teams seriously.

Competing for an NCAA tournament bid every year. Not a bad non-conference game. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

That is a pretty underwhelming non-conference schedule. Hopefully it is just like that for this season. I like when the Hoosiers play a tough OOC schedule, it gets the team ready for the B1G.

I'll take a tough OOC when the Big 10 doesn't want 20 conference games or whatever it is. Especially with (hopefully) roster turnover to the league I don't need the kids or IU scheduling a gauntlet just because. They'll have that every year in conference. Just my 2 cents. 3 tough OOC games with ACC or other conference affiliated tourneys but otherwise we need some air in November and December. 

• Like 2

With that OOC schedule, they'll need to go undefeated in the OOC, including a win over Syracuse (a must) and may need to finish top 5 in the B1G, with several wins over teams at the top to make the NCAAT. 

Half of the OOC teams were over 200 in the NET, with a couple over 300. The highest ranked team after 'Cuse (37 NET) was St Johns at 69. Syracuse will likely be the only opportunity for a Quad 1 win non-con.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

With that OOC schedule, they'll need to go undefeated in the OOC, including a win over Syracuse (a must) and may need to finish top 5 in the B1G, with several wins over teams at the top to make the NCAAT. 

Half of the OOC teams were over 200 in the NET, with a couple over 300. The highest ranked team after 'Cuse (37 NET) was St Johns at 69. Syracuse will likely be the only opportunity for a Quad 1 win non-con.

Undefeated? Tough crowd. Year 1.

One thing has been certain in the NCAAT eyes....you need to have 20-21 wins to make tourney. However you get there....is fine with them. Shoot Archie would still be our Coach if they would have scheduled just a little lighter in nonconference.

I like tough schedules.....but 20 Big 10 games is tough enough. Most times that means what....15-16 chances to earn Quad 1 or 2 wins. I'll take light on the OOC schedule until Coach Woodson gets this thing up and rolling.

• Like 1