2021-2022 Schedule

5 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

With that OOC schedule, they'll need to go undefeated in the OOC, including a win over Syracuse (a must) and may need to finish top 5 in the B1G, with several wins over teams at the top to make the NCAAT. 

Half of the OOC teams were over 200 in the NET, with a couple over 300. The highest ranked team after 'Cuse (37 NET) was St Johns at 69. Syracuse will likely be the only opportunity for a Quad 1 win non-con.

So we will have to go like 24-7 to even make the tournament? Not sure about that....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Correction: Archie would still be our coach if he had been better at his job, which includes beating good teams, regardless of conference affiliation. 

But your comment doesn't haven't anything to do with what I said earlier in terms of conference schedule right? 

Edited by Seeking6

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

easily and indisputably the weakest non-conference schedule i've seen in a long time.  i don't really have a problem with it.  just gotta win them all and then have a respectable B1G season.   

I disagree because it seems like we upgraded the cupcake part of the schedule.  Most of these teams are from descent conferences and have been good teams in the past. N. Kentucky and Marshall are pretty good teams.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

we can certainly agree to disagree.  i generally count on it.  

If you look at Bart Torvik's projections for our Non-Con opponents for this year and compare it to the Non-Con SOS from 2020, we would've been tied for 77th, which is almost the same as what IU's 2020 Non-Con SOS was ranked (70th). NIU, Eastern Mich, and UNC Asheville are the only teams he projects to be outside the top 200. There really aren't a lot of true cupcakes on the schedule, even if we don't have as many top end opponents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't usually get too worked up about the non-conference schedule in terms of making the NCAA Tournament. The Big Ten schedule is tough enough that all that really matters is racking up wins and getting to 20+. 

Now purely as a fan, would I enjoy watching more non-con games against ranked teams, other blue bloods, etc.? Absolutely. The low-to-mid major games can be quite boring. 

But again, as far as making the tournament, just win regardless of the schedule. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I don't usually get too worked up about the non-conference schedule in terms of making the NCAA Tournament. The Big Ten schedule is tough enough that all that really matters is racking up wins and getting to 20+. 

Now purely as a fan, would I enjoy watching more non-con games against ranked teams, other blue bloods, etc.? Absolutely. The low-to-mid major games can be quite boring. 

But again, as far as making the tournament, just win regardless of the schedule. 

I think the scheduling was very strategic this year to give Woody a chance to get a feel for the college game a bit and ease into the season somewhat. We have a lot of roster turnover and a whole new staff. Schedule should reflect the challenges we face. If we have a loaded team coming back then maybe we see a more testing schedule.

We have our measuring stick games with the ACC Challenge/Gavitt & Crossroads were we will face Power Conference opponents. I would really like to see a UK game or get into a showcase game like champions classic etc with the Kansas/UNC/Duke of the world but I don't need multiple top 10 out of conference games. ACC challenge plus Gavitt will put us against ranked opponents most of the time. Just upgrade the Crossroad classic game to a more premier showcase and the rest I'm good with. As far as these lower level schools....keep them around 200 or better would make me happy. We need wins but we need to have enough test to work on things at the same time.

• Like 3

One scheduling oddity and I've heard from other Big 10 schools as well. IU has only 5 Saturday conference games all year....and only one at home vs Illinois. All 4 others on road vs Purdue, Sparty, Maryland, and Ohio St. 

As we all know Saturday crowds are just a tad more juiced. Weird that we have 80% of our Saturday games on the road. Something to keep an eye on. 

Edited by Seeking6

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One scheduling oddity and I've heard from other Big 10 schools as well. IU has only 5 Saturday conference games all year....and only one at home vs Illinois. All 4 others on road vs Purdue, Sparty, Maryland, and Ohio St. 

As we all know Saturday crowds are just a tad more juiced. Weird that we have 80% of our Saturday games on the road. Something to keep an eye on. 

Add one more to it. 2 of our home games are before students return too. Ohio St on January 6th and Minny on 9th...although maybe the latter will be part of student ticket package. 

I know that January 6th one will be public only. Should be a big ticket.

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Add one more to it. 2 of our home games are before students return too. Ohio St on January 6th and Minny on 9th...although maybe the latter will be part of student ticket package. 

I know that January 6th one will be public only. Should be a big ticket.

I'm hoping we get both of those in the mini series package this year.  We should get the OSU game for sure. 

• Like 1

just to clarify, i'm not bitching about the schedule.  honestly, i just want to win.  i just can't be convinced with any numbers you throw at me that this is anything other than a very weak schedule.  we can debate that we don't play many horrible teams.  that's fine, but we don't play anyone who will be ranked do we?  again, i don't care.  just an observation.  i think it's pretty smart this season.  our schedule strength should be fine with the B1G season factored in and we need wins, so cool.  it would be fun to have some big match-ups, but if we would have lost those and then too many in conference and not made the tourney?  no thanks.  

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

just to clarify, i'm not bitching about the schedule.  honestly, i just want to win.  i just can't be convinced with any numbers you throw at me that this is anything other than a very weak schedule.  we can debate that we don't play many horrible teams.  that's fine, but we don't play anyone who will be ranked do we?  again, i don't care.  just an observation.  i think it's pretty smart this season.  our schedule strength should be fine with the B1G season factored in and we need wins, so cool.  it would be fun to have some big match-ups, but if we would have lost those and then too many in conference and not made the tourney?  no thanks.  

That’s just it. We do play a bunch of teams who will be ranked…they’re called Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Illinois, Purdue, etc., etc.

Syracuse and Notre Dame may very well be ranked at some point as well.

Just give it a chance. From everything shown thus far the program is in excellent hands between CMW and staff, and Dolsen.

Why make waves when they don’t need to be made?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

That’s just it. We do play a bunch of teams who will be ranked…they’re called Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Illinois, Purdue, etc., etc.

Syracuse and Notre Dame may very well be ranked at some point as well.

Just give it a chance. From everything shown thus far the program is in excellent hands between CMW and staff, and Dolsen.

Why make waves when they don’t need to be made?

um... my point was i'm not trying to make waves.  i'm fine with a weak non conference schedule.  actually said i think it's a pretty good idea.  just saying you can't convince me that it's not weak.  do you want me to say it again?

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

um... my point was i'm not trying to make waves.  i'm fine with a weak non conference schedule.  actually said i think it's a pretty good idea.  just saying you can't convince me that it's not weak.  do you want me to say it again?

Yes! This dense guy can’t keep up.

Please reiterate everything you have said on the topic. Maybe it will eventually sink in

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yes! This dense guy can’t keep up.

Please reiterate everything you have said on the topic. Maybe it will eventually sink in

so... even though i was devastated when Woodson was hired, i like everything that has happened since.  who else was hired, transfers, people staying, recruits... all i'm saying is this is a REALLY weak non conference schedule.  i think it's a pretty good idea.  i think it will help us more at this point to just get wins than to play good teams and lose.  we will definitely play plenty of good teams in conference.  does our non conference schedule prepare us for B1G play?  absolutely not.  am i good with it?  sure.  is it a very weak non conference schedule?  absolutely!  ND and Syracuse aren't going to be ranked!  nobody we play will other than conference.   

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Hey it's all good...I sure wasn't pointing at you as we have a lot of people complain every year about the schedule, so I was having a little fun with the annual tradition.

I won't argue it's a strong schedule, but it feels like the bottom of the schedule is a little stronger than normal, even if the top of the noncon is a bit soft.

Here are the end of season NET rankings for the non-con opponents (avg 190). Syracuse was the only team to play in the NCAAT, as an 11 seed. No teams were in the NIT. IU (67 NET) was 12-15 and finished ahead of every team except Syracuse, which is the only Quad 1 game on the non-con (based on last year). 7 of 11 games are Quad 4. 

E Mich  317 Quad 4

N Ill       339 Quad 4

St John's 69 Quad 2

Louisiana 186 Quad 4

Jackson St 252 Quad 4

Marshall      89 Quad 3

Syracuse 37 Quad 1

Merrimack 232 Quad 4

ND    98 Quad 2

N KY 217 Quad 4

UNC Asheville 250 Quad 4

Just the facts that, given this schedule, IU will need a strong finish in the B1G. 

• Like 1

I agree that it's a weaker schedule at the top than most years but the weaker teams also aren't quite as weak as the bottom teams recently. I mean, it seems like the last few seasons there were a handful of games each year with teams ranked 300+. Overall, a weaker non-conference schedule.

I think it's a good thing. Recently the selection committee has cared more about win totals than schedule strength and the conference schedule will get IU to a respectable SOS, good enough that as long as they have a good record with no bad losses they should get in the NCAAT. 

I think this non-conference schedule is weak enough that IU should have a very good record entering the B1G season. It will also allow the team to mesh while working out the kinks in a new system and Woodson to get some college coaching experience while also no sacrificing much needed wins (hopefully). Of course, the flip side is that a non-conference loss to any of the teams except Syracuse and St John's will likely end up as a bad loss so they really need to win all of those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Just the facts that, given this schedule, IU will need a strong finish in the B1G. 

I think you'll be surprised.  I'd bet they would get in with less than 24 wins as someone earlier guessed.  20+ wins seems to matter more to the selection committee than SOS.

• Like 1

I honestly believe this is another master stroke by Dolson/Matta/Woodson...

In future years, when recruits see 25 wins in 2021-22, they won't care about who those wins were against. They'll know Coach Woody was the coach and proved he could win at the collegiate level, which is really the only unchecked box in his tenure so far at IU.

As the years go on, we'll have a better schedule as we get more prime recruits...and the win total will take care of itself...

• Like 6