Michael Durr Commits to IU

Well...hopefully he provides someone to push Trayce in practice and can give us 5-10 minutes a game against Purdue and other bigs. I don't anticipate a huge roll but that's ok...not all 13 are going to start. Does this mean we can redshirt Duncomb?? Kinda wondering what his role might be now.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Well...hopefully he provides someone to push Trayce in practice and can give us 5-10 minutes a game against Purdue and other bigs. I don't anticipate a huge roll but that's ok...not all 13 are going to start. Does this mean we can redshirt Duncomb?? Kinda wondering what his role might be now.

Yea, hard to see a significant role for both Durr and Duncomb. Would be great if a talented kid like Duncomb is open to redshirt.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

7'0 250...It'll be nice to have some size against Dickinson, Edey, and Cockburn (if he goes back to Illinois, which I don't think he is)...

And I would assume that TJD is gone after this year...Nice to have Durr as an option...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

7'0 250...It'll be nice to have some size against Dickinson, Edey, and Cockburn (if he goes back to Illinois (which I don't think he is)...

And I would assume that TJD is gone after this year...Nice to have Durr as an option...

Durr is big....very big. Not uber athletic (plays kinda flat footed) but seems to have a good motor. Not too many high level 7'0 out there so it is what it is. I agree gives us some needed depth up front. Allows Race to purely stay at the 4 unless we play small. Let's Duncomb ease into things. Kinda reminds me a bit of Deron Davis. Has moments...can't teach size.

• Like 1

I like this as an addition to the roster. I would not be as on board if the other changes had not taken place. Durr gets to come in and be a part without unrealistic expectations. Plus this fills a need/void we had in our roster. The makeup of this team has drastically changed in a short amount of time. 

• Like 7

This commitment answered a question I had about the wing after Hunter’s departure. 

Coach Woodson must feel very comfortable with running Geronimo, Stewart and TG at the 3….  Not in any particular order, but he must feel good about one of them always being out there. 

If he can give us what we were expecting from Brunk, I’ll be happy. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

This commitment answered a question I had about the wing after Hunter’s departure. 

Coach Woodson must feel very comfortable with running Geronimo, Stewart and TG at the 3….  Not in any particular order, but he must feel good about one of them always being out there. 

I think moving Geronimo back to the wing will be huge for his development. I asked in another thread but I really thought he was carrying too much weight last year. Like he was being developed to be a Race junior. Don't get me wrong he might have to play some 4 from time to time but I just didn't like seeing the kid forced into the post so much and to just be another banger down there. The kid clearly needs a lot of polish but I think he has amazing soft touch on his shot and a lot of potential that hopefully Woody and company move him out to the wing where he can reach it! Very happy to have more help down low. Let's everyone play their natural position...Race, Jordan, and even let's Duncomb come along at his own speed because he is a young freshman.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I bet Kopp plays the 3 at some point as well...

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I would almost bet he starts at the 3. I can't see a way Race let's someone on this team take his starting spot. The kid is about the hardest worker we've had in a while. Done everything asked of him and done a pretty dang good job. I've heard he has a decent jumper but never given the confidence to stroke it. I don't doubt Kopp will play some 4 for us....just like Geronimo will...but I also think we will see plenty of time at the 3 next to Stewart and Johnson. The lineup is very flexible now..lots of options for coach.

• Like 3

I like the pickup.  Balances the roster very nicely.  

From clips, he doesn’t look skilled offensively and he is not athletic.  But what he is, is an immovable physical presence on the defensive end and a guy who pounds the boards. 

He will give us flexibility as a chess piece to come in and play defense against out of date offenses who want to pound it into the post.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

From clips, he doesn’t look skilled offensively and he is not athletic.  But what he is, is an immovable physical presence on the defensive end and a guy who pounds the boards. 

He will give us flexibility as a chess piece to come in and play defense against out of date offenses who want to pound it into the post.   

Looks similar to Deron Davis to me.  Not a bad thing.  Should be a solid back up big.  I really like our roster a lot.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agreed. Now we will have two post options for next year as well. Duncomb ideally takes over as a starter his Jr and Sr year. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Looks similar to Deron Davis to me.  Not a bad thing.  Should be a solid back up big.  I really like our roster a lot.

DD is who I saw as well. The kid has been at South Fla. get him coached up, you never know what you can get out of him. I see a top 5 B10 team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Agreed, I just think that with Coach Woodson wanting to play 4 out and 1 in, Kopp will be interchangeable at the 3/4 offensively. I just didn’t think that he’s quick enough on his feet to defend that position much on the perimeter. 

• Like 1