Michael Durr Commits to IU

1 hour ago, Danomatic said:

This commitment answered a question I had about the wing after Hunter’s departure. 

Coach Woodson must feel very comfortable with running Geronimo, Stewart and TG at the 3….  Not in any particular order, but he must feel good about one of them always being out there. 

If he can give us what we were expecting from Brunk, I’ll be happy. 

I dont see JG playing any 3. Maybe he has that skill set like OG and we didn't see it yet. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I dont see JG playing any 3. Maybe he has that skill set like OG and we didn't see it yet. 

I just saw someone mention that he’d dropped weight. I think his athleticism can be elite, but his skill set at that position would need polished. If everything lined up right, I’d like him there. Lot of “ifs” though, but I’m excited about next year for the first time in about 8 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I think moving Geronimo back to the wing will be huge for his development. I asked in another thread but I really thought he was carrying too much weight last year. Like he was being developed to be a Race junior. Don't get me wrong he might have to play some 4 from time to time but I just didn't like seeing the kid forced into the post so much and to just be another banger down there. The kid clearly needs a lot of polish but I think he has amazing soft touch on his shot and a lot of potential that hopefully Woody and company move him out to the wing where he can reach it! Very happy to have more help down low. Let's everyone play their natural position...Race, Jordan, and even let's Duncomb come along at his own speed because he is a young freshman.

Yes, I think you are right.  I see him as a "3 and D" guy.  I don't think there will be any problem with the "D" part.  It will be the "3" part that will be the most difficult for him.

23 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I just saw someone mention that he’d dropped weight. I think his athleticism can be elite, but his skill set at that position would need polished. If everything lined up right, I’d like him there. Lot of “ifs” though, but I’m excited about next year for the first time in about 8 years. 

Is that true about him dropping weight?! I have been asking if he has been playing too "big" since the season ended. I felt Archie wanted him to play out of position to help back up Race and thought it really hurt his development as a wing. I really hope that is true! Because I want to see more of this athlete...and less Jordan on the block.

He just seemed to have more pep in his step in HS.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Is that true about him dropping weight?! I have been asking if he has been playing too "big" since the season ended. I felt Archie wanted him to play out of position to help back up Race and thought it really hurt his development as a wing. I really hope that is true! Because I want to see more of this athlete...and less Jordan on the block.

4s shouldn't be on the block anyway though. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Don't mean to pile on, but videos like this show me even more reason why Archie needed to go.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I thought he was very bouncy last year, just a little heavy on his feet from time to time. His athleticism is his best attribute, so if he did indeed drop weight, his ability to defend the perimeter would play a huge role next season. I have no way of confirming the weight loss, just something I saw on another site. He seems to have the work ethic though, and I love that about him. If he can get better with his midrange jumper, he’ll be ready to step up for an expanded run.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Don't mean to pile on, but videos like this show me even more reason why Archie needed to go.

He took 2 total dribbles in that entire video in a half court setting though. 

Everything else in the half court was off reb/spot up 3. 

He screams 4 to me. 

• Like 3

Indiana fans for 4 years: "We need size and shooting..." 

Archie Miller: "Meh"

Mike Woodson in 2 months:  "Done and done."

All the moves that have been made this off season really lead me to believe that the former caretakers of the program did not have a clue what they were doing here.  Seriously, Woodson was here for 2 months, took a look at the roster, recognized the same deficiencies that the fanbase has been complaining about for years and goes out and addresses the issues.  In 2 months.  Not 4 years.  2 months.

Miller was awful.

That being said, welcome to Durr.  Having 7'0 250 lbs available on the roster is a luxury we have not had here often lately.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Bowhunter said:

Always nice to have a 7 footer on the team. That being said, I don’t see him playing much at all.

There's no way we were going to get a 10 and 10 big to come here and agree to play behind Trayce. Woody is good but he's not that good. 

• Like 1

I bet he plays more than everyone is anticipating, at least at the start of the year. Takes younger guys a lot longer to be functional on both sides of the ball. I also think JG can play some 3. He seems like a guy who plays with confidence but was being held back last year. He had no defined role and seems like he's got an ok shot. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He screams 4 to me. 

He definitely needs to tighten his handles quite a bit. I agree he will likely see most of his minutes at the 4 based on the roster construction....but if we land a couple of the guys we have certainly been focused on in the 22 class (mostly 6'8-6'10) with extended range then Jordan will need to be able to play more on the perimeter and get comfortable putting it on the floor. I really do see Jordan in that OG mold. I mean size wise...he is in that 6'6-6'7 range and he has an incredible body to work with. Soft hands and nice touch on his jumper. I just hate the idea of throwing him inside as an undersized 4 and not expanding on the part of his game that has the most potential for him and us.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He definitely needs to tighten his handles quite a bit. I agree he will likely see most of his minutes at the 4 based on the roster construction....but if we land a couple of the guys we have certainly been focused on in the 22 class (mostly 6'8-6'10) with extended range then Jordan will need to be able to play more on the perimeter and get comfortable putting it on the floor. I really do see Jordan in that OG mold. I mean size wise...he is in that 6'6-6'7 range and he has an incredible body to work with. Soft hands and nice touch on his jumper. I just hate the idea of throwing him inside as an undersized 4 and not expanding on the part of his game that has the most potential for him and us.

I can't think of too many good basketball teams playing their 4 inside. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I can't think of too many good basketball teams playing their 4 inside. 

Agree...but I meant more banging and trying to defend the 4. I really think if he has a future it's at the 3....here and if he wants to go pro. Basically same size as OG.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agree...but I meant more banging and trying to defend the 4. I really think if he has a future it's at the 3....here and if he wants to go pro. Basically same size as OG.

I think he showed he can defend guys who want to bang last year. I agree, if he wants to play in the NBA he needs to be able to play as a 3, but it's worth pointing out the lineup that OG got his second highest amount of minutes with this year had him playing the 4 (Siakam, FVV, Lowry, and Powell) and so did 4 of the top 10 most common lineups OG played with. 

So if JG's comparison is OG, then we should expect to see a lot of JG at the 4, especially in college. But yeah, if he wants to make the NBA he has to be able to play the 3. 

Edited by KoB2011

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

He screams 4 to me. 

Yet another player in what seems like a long line of IU forwards who fans mistakenly think can play at the guard/wing spot, haha. Geronimo just isn’t a 3 in the college game — won’t be able to handle the ball or create off the dribble like he’d need to to play there.  But he really is the perfect 4.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

There's no way we were going to get a 10 and 10 big to come here and agree to play behind Trayce. Woody is good but he's not that good. 

This is what I’m wondering — does Durr have a chance to start alongside TJD, or will TJD and Race be starting with Durr coming off the bench?  I lean toward the latter, but who knows.  Either way, the kid will be getting meaningful minutes and should be a huge upgrade over a geriatric Joe Brunk.

IU needed more experienced size and 7 ft 250 lbs checks the box.

If all he can do is keep TJD from having to muscle every big in the conference for 40 minutes, it's a positive. If he can play defense enough to let Race and Geronimo stay in their position and not pretend to be a 5, it's a positive. If what he brings to the table allows Duncomb to develop without being thrown in the deep end on day one, it's a positive. If he can stay in the rotation it's likely more than Brunk would have been able to do for a whole season, and that's an improvement.

I'm not sure what he can do - haven't seen him play. I do know this, he put up 14 pts and 7 reb against #8 Houston in February. If he can play a role on the team and add some rebounding inside, it makes IU better. That's what they need.

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is what I’m wondering — does Durr have a chance to start alongside TJD, or will TJD and Race be starting with Durr coming off the bench?  I lean toward the latter, but who knows.  Either way, the kid will be getting meaningful minutes and should be a huge upgrade over a geriatric Joe Brunk.

i can't imagine having 2 complete non shooters starting together with how the game is played today.  i am really glad we got Durr, but can't see how he can get many minutes with how many minutes TJD will play and them not playing together.  better than having Race or Duncomb at the 5 when TJD is out for sure.  

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i can't imagine having 2 complete non shooters starting together with how the game is played today.  i am really glad we got Durr, but can't see how he can get many minutes with how many minutes TJD will play and them not playing together.  better than having Race or Duncomb at the 5 when TJD is out for sure.  

Unless Geronimo makes a huge jump or Mike Woodson decides to start a small ball lineup with Kopp at the 4 and TJD at the 5, there are going to be non-shooters starting at both forward spots.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Unless Geronimo makes a huge jump or Mike Woodson decides to start a small ball lineup with Kopp at the 4 and TJD at the 5, there are going to be non-shooters starting at both forward spots.

Race is a tremendous shooter with excellent range compared to Durr

• Haha 1