Michael Durr Commits to IU

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Race is a tremendous shooter with excellent range compared to Durr

Really not sure how you can call a player who’s shot 21% from three (6/28) and 62% from the line in his three-year career anything other than a “complete non-shooter”... but I guess the message boards say he was a great shooter in high school, lol. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Unless Geronimo makes a huge jump or Mike Woodson decides to start a small ball lineup with Kopp at the 4 and TJD at the 5, there are going to be non-shooters starting at both forward spots.

Is 6'3, 6'5, 6'5, 6'7, 6'9 really playing small ball in modern basketball? I'd say Kopp fits the starting 4 profile of the two top seeds in the West at a minimum. He'd be right in line with the guys who played 4 for Baylor as well. Heck, even the Warriors throughout their dynasty and even now played "small." 

I think the team we want to be and the makeup of this roster dictates we are more likely to play how those teams play than how a team like the Lakers or Illinois play. I think size is turning into a nice to have in basketball, but length, versatility and the ability the space the floor are must haves if you want to win at a high level. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Really not sure how you can call a player who’s shot 21% from three (6/28) and 62% from the line in his three-year career anything other than a “complete non-shooter”... but I guess the message boards say he was a great shooter in high school, lol. 

i agree, but i am pretty confident Race has a lot more potential to shoot with decent range than Durr.  that's all i'm saying.  i'd be shocked to see Durr and Jackson-Davis play together, but i guess you never know.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

In an interview on. assembly call Green said Race is a lot better shooter than he has shown so far.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

In an interview on. assembly call Green said Race is a lot better shooter than he has shown so far.

I’m going to pray that is the case with all our kids under Archie. They all came in looking better than they turned out. Guess we will see if it was really Archie or them.

5 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

If he can average 8 boards and 6 pts with a few blocks in between then im happy. 

Happy?  Well yeah I'd be as giddy as a fat kid in a candy factory if he averages 8 boards 6 pts in less than 10 mins.  

IU has had transfers from Pitt, Arizona st, and Georgetown come in an put up considerably less numbers than at their previous school.  I won't set the bar too high for the kid.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Happy?  Well yeah I'd be as giddy as a fat kid in a candy factory if he averages 8 boards 6 pts in less than 10 mins.  

IU has had transfers from Pitt, Arizona st, and Georgetown come in an put up considerably less numbers than at their previous school.  I won't set the bar too high for the kid.  

Glass is half empty kinda guy, then?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Is 6'3, 6'5, 6'5, 6'7, 6'9 really playing small ball in modern basketball? I'd say Kopp fits the starting 4 profile of the two top seeds in the West at a minimum. He'd be right in line with the guys who played 4 for Baylor as well. Heck, even the Warriors throughout their dynasty and even now played "small." 

I think the team we want to be and the makeup of this roster dictates we are more likely to play how those teams play than how a team like the Lakers or Illinois play. I think size is turning into a nice to have in basketball, but length, versatility and the ability the space the floor are must haves if you want to win at a high level. 

Not necessarily when you’re just listing off their heights, but I’m not sure Kopp fits the profile of a 4.  First off, from what I’ve seen, 6’7 is a pretty generous listing for Kopp.  And based on the videos I’ve watched, it doesn’t look like he was playing the 4 for Northwestern much at all last season.  Looked much more like a 3 than a 4 to me.

That’s not to say there’s no way he could play the 4.  With the way college basketball is trending and how Mike Woodson may want to play, he very well could, and he’d provide some much needed shooting at that spot.  But he’d certainly be an undersized 4, especially in the Big Ten, and I think it would be tough for him on defense and really tough for him on the glass (averages less than 3 rpg for his career).  Right now, my money’s still on Race starting at the 4.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i agree, but i am pretty confident Race has a lot more potential to shoot with decent range than Durr.  that's all i'm saying.  i'd be shocked to see Durr and Jackson-Davis play together, but i guess you never know.  

Tbh, I think I might be more confident in TJD shooting from deep than Race at this point. Based on Mike Woodson’s comments about TJD stepping out and hitting jumpers, I wouldn’t be surprised to see TJD at the 4 and Durr at the 5 at least sometimes.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

it doesn’t look like he was playing the 4 for Northwestern much at all last season.

Northwestern almost always had 2 of their 3 bigs (Beran, Nance, and Young) in the game at one time. Beran and Nance were more 4s, with Ryan Young being the only one that was a traditional post player without much of an outside game...so yeah, Kopp was pretty much the 3 all the time...

But, like you said, he may be called on to play the 4 in a short lineup...

• Like 4

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

I dont see JG playing any 3. Maybe he has that skill set like OG and we didn't see it yet. 

Agree, I think Geronimo is a prototypical college 4, and I am extremely high on his potential there. I expect TJD/Race/Geronimo to eat up the vast majority of the post minutes on this team.

Kopp on the other hand I see as a 3, who can give you spot minutes at the 4 in certain lineups. I saw Hunter the same way honestly.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not necessarily when you’re just listing off their heights, but I’m not sure Kopp fits the profile of a 4.  First off, from what I’ve seen, 6’7 is a pretty generous listing for Kopp.  And based on the videos I’ve watched, it doesn’t look like he was playing the 4 for Northwestern much at all last season.  Looked much more like a 3 than a 4 to me.

That’s not to say there’s no way he could play the 4.  With the way college basketball is trending and how Mike Woodson may want to play, he very well could, and he’d provide some much needed shooting at that spot.  But he’d certainly be an undersized 4, especially in the Big Ten, and I think it would be tough for him on defense and really tough for him on the glass (averages less than 3 rpg for his career).  Right now, my money’s still on Race starting at the 4.

I think I remember Kopp saying that CMW wanted him to improve his rebounding. I believe that CMW sees the guys he has added more as what he believes they can be than what they have been. Woodson is all about development. That's something he is selling the guys he is recruiting. I think we will be seeing guys doing things they haven't done before.

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I'm personally not too worried about what he did at NU. They had a limited roster and in order to maximize talent that meant a lot of time playing the three. 

We have guards who are good rebounders and one of, if not the, best rebounders in the conference in TJD. If teams want to attack Kopp by having their secondary post player shoot jump hooks, have at it. Not many teams are going to beat you if that's their best attack on offense. 

30 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm personally not too worried about what he did at NU. They had a limited roster and in order to maximize talent that meant a lot of time playing the three. 

We have guards who are good rebounders and one of, if not the, best rebounders in the conference in TJD. If teams want to attack Kopp by having their secondary post player shoot jump hooks, have at it. Not many teams are going to beat you if that's their best attack on offense. 

We’ll see.  I’m sure he’ll get some time at the 4 here and there, but I think he’ll play mostly at the 3.

8 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Tbh, I think I might be more confident in TJD shooting from deep than Race at this point. Based on Mike Woodson’s comments about TJD stepping out and hitting jumpers, I wouldn’t be surprised to see TJD at the 4 and Durr at the 5 at least sometimes.

i guess i could see that as i'm sure that is TJD's goal for potential NBA.  i personally think it will hurt our chances to win if we play around at showcasing him as a 4 for his NBA prospects though.  not saying it won't happen, but if TJD gets to try to prove he is a shooter this season, i am very very nervous.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i guess i could see that as i'm sure that is TJD's goal for potential NBA.  i personally think it will hurt our chances to win if we play around at showcasing him as a 4 for his NBA prospects though.  not saying it won't happen, but if TJD gets to try to prove he is a shooter this season, i am very very nervous.   

I think what Woody wants most from him is to be able to use both hands around the basket...and to be able to face up some on that 10-12 foot jumper. I expect Trayce to shoot fewer than 5 3's this year...it just isn't efficient basketball.  Trayce basically never faced up except to drive last year. He won't ever be Tim Duncan but just adding a face up little jumper would make him deadly for college guys to try to defend with his ability to make moves and get to the rim. Add finishing with both hands and well you have a complete post player. The goal isn't to push him out to the 3pt line and live and die with that....he can continue to work on his face up game as his career goes along. He can still have a long NBA career if he just gets better and better taking a few steps further out each year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I think what Woody wants most from him is to be able to use both hands around the basket...and to be able to face up some on that 10-12 foot jumper. I expect Trayce to shoot fewer than 5 3's this year...it just isn't efficient basketball.  Trayce basically never faced up except to drive last year. He won't ever be Tim Duncan but just adding a face up little jumper would make him deadly for college guys to try to defend with his ability to make moves and get to the rim. Add finishing with both hands and well you have a complete post player. The goal isn't to push him out to the 3pt line and live and die with that....he can continue to work on his face up game as his career goes along. He can still have a long NBA career if he just gets better and better taking a few steps further out each year.

totally agree.  i would love to see him be able to do those things consistently.  holy crap!  if he can, he's gonna be flat out nasty at the college level.  TBH that's all i care about.  sure, i'd love to see him play in the NBA, but i want to see IU win.  as long as he isn't working on his NBA game and hurting us in games in the process, i'm great with that!  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

totally agree.  i would love to see him be able to do those things consistently.  holy crap!  if he can, he's gonna be flat out nasty at the college level.  TBH that's all i care about.  sure, i'd love to see him play in the NBA, but i want to see IU win.  as long as he isn't working on his NBA game and hurting us in games in the process, i'm great with that!  

Nobody wants to see growth cost us games but it's just a part of the process. In the end it's about making the player and the team better in the long run...because if you ever want to be a part of anything special you are going to have to make sacrifices...your going to lose some games that move your team forward. If by the end of the season we are doing those things we've learned and executing...we will be a tough out...but those things don't happen over night and sometimes not even on the practice court. It starts there but you have to be tested under fire. Enough pressure, enough fire, and you refine your craft...your get pure GOLD. That come tournament time these guys are all able to knock down shots, rebound better, step into passing lanes...whatever it is that they have to improve. I'll take some bumps in the road (some off shooting nights) if in the long run we get these kids to where they need to be....else you end up doing what we all thought Archie was doing. Not allowing freedom for these guys, putting pressure to get the perfect shot, not to miss, and play it safe on offense by not expanding their games. No one wants Trayce just doing his own thing and I don't even think it's in his interest just to go out and put up 2-3 threes a game and start settling for 18 footers but we are going to have to loosen the reigns and take the bad with the good if we want him and this team to expand their game...or we just end up with Archie ball 2.0.....pound it in the post....dribble out the shot clock and no one with the freedom to act on their own.

Just now, The Daily Hoosier said:
“Indiana being the program that it is, the school that it is, with all the tradition, I wanted to go somewhere where they would help me take my game to the next level"

That's refreshing to hear. Honestly the next level for him is not the NBA. Perhaps its professional ball over seas or whatever. To hear he recognizes that we can give him some more tools...improve his game even in more limited minutes make him a more efficient player that will benefit him in the long run. Not everyone is going to the NBA...but that doesn't mean they can't get better and continue their craft! He got all he thought he could get at USF and was looking to get better even if it meant sacrificing stats and playing time. A professional team will recognize what he can offer over larger minutes if he improves.

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Some interesting and relevant quotes in this article from the always great @The Daily Hoosier 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/michael-durr-picked-indiana-for-tradition-chance-to-take-my-game-to-the-next-level/

Durr said Woodson told him his NBA-style system would give him room to explore his versatility. After taking a total of four 3-pointers in his first two seasons at South Florida, he took 20 last season and made four of them. Hitting 20 percent from 3-point range isn’t terrifying for opposing defenses, but it’s just enough to gain some respect for a five man and spread the floor. Woodson made it clear to All-American center Trayce Jackson-Davis that he will expected to take outside shots, and he made it clear to Durr that he will have freedom to shoot as well.

“He likes the fact that I can play inside and out,” Durr said of Woodson. “He wants me to take my game to the next level, play within his NBA style, show improvement from last year and help win ball games. I fit right in with what they’re trying to do. … With me being able to shoot from outside, it helps my game because you have to guard me anywhere on the floor. And it helps my teammates because if I’m out on the perimeter, you can’t just stay in.”

And because he can shoot, Durr said, Woodson told him he would put Jackson-Davis and Durr on the floor at the same time. That would seem to go against Woodson’s overall game plan of going four-out, one-in, but if one or both of them show enough perimeter comfort as shooters and ball-handlers, it would at least be possible.

“We’re definitely playing together,” Dunn said. “Being a force in the Big Ten with both of us.”

• Like 2