Archie's Future

It's been awfully quiet on the Archie front.  I've not heard his name being associated with any open positions.  Got me thinking about what the future held for Coach Miller.  Richard Pitino latched onto a new gig about 12 hours after he was let go at Minnesota.  Crean was immediately linked to TV and purportedly had coaching opportunities available as soon as he was ready to get back in the game, which he did a year later with Georgia.  

Archie?  Crickets.  What's behind that?

• Was his reputation permanently damaged by his IU stint, especially considering how fast Woodson has gotten out of the gate?
  • Does being the brother of, and former assistant for, Sean Miller make him toxic?
  • Is Archie himself just laying low, taking a break, and waiting for something that appeals to him?

And, if we do see Archie coaching in the near future, what kind of school will it be?

• Like 3

If I were Archie I'd take this year. Visit as many NBA teams, practices, colleges, etc....and reevaluate how his coaching should evolve or change. In terms of next gig...he needs to either change his approach on style of play....or choose an area of the country where blue collar approach/defense first,etc....plays well with the fans. 

• Like 5

He's getting paid the same whether he works or not, so my guess is he's taking some time off after living the grind of being a coach (asst. or head) for nearly 20years. That's a lot of years of long hours and given the disappointment of his IU tenure, he's probably enjoying the freedom and spending time with his family to try and catch up a bit on missed moments while coaching.

• Like 3

I’m not convinced we ever see Archie at a power five again. His four years here were bad, real bad. Why would anyone who watched that say, “That’s our guy,”?  He will end up back at a lower level and then we will see if he can reproduce his Dayton results or if UD is just one of those places anyone can win. 
His brother may hurt him too. Would we have hired him if all that broke before we brought him in?  I really don’t know. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’m not convinced we ever see Archie at a power five again. His four years here were bad, real bad. Why would anyone who watched that say, “That’s our guy,”?  He will end up back at a lower level and then we will see if he can reproduce his Dayton results or if UD is just one of those places anyone can win. 
His brother may hurt him too. Would we have hired him if all that broke before we brought him in?  I really don’t know. 

I tend to agree.  It's really hard to identify something positive about his tenure here.  At least something he can take into an interview and say 'see what I did at Indiana'.  His saving grace there may be the administration, at least pre-Dolson.  If he can convince another school that his hands were tied when he got to IU, that could work in his favor.  And, they probably were to a degree.  

Ultimately, I can't see him landing anything higher than the A-10 initially.  From there, if he does well enough for a few years, he could get a look from the Big East or lower level SEC school.  Can't see him landing a job in the ACC, Big 10, or Big 12 though.  And, you would have to think the Pac 12 would be permanently out of the question because of Sean.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

He can get back to power five again if he chooses to. His 4 years were real bad to us, but would be fine for many of the bottom-half power five teams. You really think that no school from the likes of TCU, Kansas St, Iowa St, half of the Pac12, half of SEC, NC St, Pitt, Wake Forest, and BC would take a flier on the former Flyer/Hoosier coach? Remember it only takes one. Look at someone like Jeff Capel's career. Coaches get recycled all the time.

image.png.b9723ac3f65a8763bd38341e2040b44b.png

His IU teams ranked between 34-71 which clearly wasn't good enough for us, but many of the schools listed would be ecstatic with those results.

image.png.5c1d59c6bb2c66b80091d29442397c60.png

Edited by cybergates
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cybergates said:

He can get back to power five again if he chooses to. His 4 years were real bad to us, but would be fine for many of the bottom-half power five teams. You really think that no school from the likes of TCU, Kansas St, Iowa St, half of the Pac12, half of SEC, NC St, Pitt, Wake Forest, and BC would take a flier on the former Flyer/Hoosier coach? Remember it only takes one.

His IU teams ranked between 34-71 which clearly wasn't good enough for us, but many of the schools listed would be ecstatic with those results.

image.png.5c1d59c6bb2c66b80091d29442397c60.png

I think the difference is that, if you can't win at Indiana, with everything they have to offer, how are you going to win at one of those lower level schools.  Crean's struggles ate Georgia aren't going to do anything to counter that perception either.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think the difference is that, if you can't win at Indiana, with everything they have to offer, how are you going to win here.  Crean's struggles ate Georgia aren't going to do anything to counter that perception either.  

I get it, but I think as fans we (myself included) wouldn't hire him after seeing him closely for these past four years, but it just takes one AD to think, man this guy was so highly regarded as a up and coming young coach, he's still young, and for whatever reasons it didn't work out at IU for him, but I'll take my chances with him over these other guys. Other ADs may look at from the opposite perspective of your point, he didn't succeed at IU b/c their expectation are so high, he got dealt a bad hand with injuries/COVID, whatever (many of the same excuses the collective we made around here).

Look at BC's most recent coach Jim Christian, for example. Got a Power 5 job at TCU after Kent St. Was mediocre to good for them, but still ended up at Ohio (odd that he took that job as an upgrade to Power5 TCU?), then ended up at BC (another Power 5). EDIT: Looks like TCU wasn't Power5 at the time he was there.

Archie is too young to not get another Power 5 job if he stays in the business IMO. What are there 70 of them? 

image.png.af86f7c8b89979caa996edd85b22ce6f.png

Edited by cybergates
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think the difference is that, if you can't win at Indiana, with everything they have to offer, how are you going to win at one of those lower level schools.  Crean's struggles ate Georgia aren't going to do anything to counter that perception either.  

26 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

You guys may be right and I may be wrong. Mike Davis never got another Power5 job. Guess we'll see. 

Found it interesting the Mike Davis is 60 only 3 years younger than Coach Woody.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

It's been awfully quiet on the Archie front.  I've not heard his name being associated with any open positions.  Got me thinking about what the future held for Coach Miller.  Richard Pitino latched onto a new gig about 12 hours after he was let go at Minnesota.  Crean was immediately linked to TV and purportedly had coaching opportunities available as soon as he was ready to get back in the game, which he did a year later with Georgia.  

• Was his reputation permanently damaged by his IU stint, especially considering how fast Woodson has gotten out of the gate?
  • Does being the brother of, and former assistant for, Sean Miller make him toxic?
  • Is Archie himself just laying low, taking a break, and waiting for something that appeals to him?

And, if we do see Archie coaching in the near future, what kind of school will it be?

I would make sure to take the right job and not just the first job you are offered.  Just like when I was unemployed I was still going to be selective as long as I was still getting unemployment.

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That struck me a little...until I realized that any children born out of the frenzy in Dunn Meadow after RMK's firing can legally drink now...

Not quite yet. That was Sept 2020 and you're not counting the pregnancy time. Middle of next year they will be able to drink legally, though.

18 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Not quite yet. That was Sept 2020 and you're not counting the pregnancy time. Middle of next year they will be able to drink legally, though.

In Texas, if they're out with their parents at a restaurant, and they're over 18 they can... 😉

Sean and Archie will most likely team up somewhere would be my guess. I could see a lot of Power 5 teams that would take a flyer on Sean especially if he says "I am bringing my brother with me" Then in 2-3 years Archie would get a lot offers I bet. He was not good at IU, but he's got a lot of connections and a pretty successful track record. IU ain't like many schools. Look at a place like DePaul. They hired Dave Leitao twice!!! He'll most likely get an offer out East. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I think its a year or 2 off, collect some free money because his next payday will be a lot smaller. He will find his way back to a mid-major where he belongs. From stories I've been told i hope Archie learns a lesson on how to treat people around a program. Lose the cocky attitude he had with people behind the scenes

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

This isn't rocket science.  Archie is Crean but he's a complete introvert while Crean is a used car salesman.  Crean was able to use Dwade and his personality to grift his way into the GA job.  Archie won't have that luxury.

It’s not just the personality difference.

IU football, BEFORE ALLEN, would have been thrilled to hire a coach that had won the SEC 2 of the previous 5 years. From a basketball standpoint Georgia was like “Lynch-type”  IU football and they hired the coach that brought back IU, put multiple guys in the NBA and won the Big Ten 2 of the previous 5 years. We complained about his consistency, and 1,000 other things, but the Georgia AD was still able to say “I hired the dude that won the tough Big Ten 2 of the last 5 years”.

Try selling Miller and his 9th and 10th place finishes to that exact same fan base. He did literally nothing in his tenure to get another Power 5 school excited. NOTHING.  I’m not saying Miller can’t work his way back to a Power 5 job, if he excels at a mid-major level first, but I think he needs to prove himself again.

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 3