Archie's Future

26 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Honestly, I hope he’s mentally okay. Financials are one thing, but we all have a soul. His took an unfortunate beating the past 4 years.  Glad a change was made, hope CAM is doing well. 

Same. It's very strange that he never made any kind of public statement, at minimum thank the fans and say your glad you had the opportunity or something. 

• Like 2

Just my opinion, Archie will be back in power 5 hoops in due time.  He’s not a bad coach at all.  His Offense frustrated the hell out of me from day 1 and those early beat downs to iPfw and ISU put him on notice in my mind.  But he isn’t far away.  A normal FT % last season and he is still coaching IU.  I think he will adjust both sides of the ball and be just fine.  If he doesn’t adjust, well then, he’s a millionaire just as well, just not one coaching high level hoops. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Threedom said:

Just my opinion, Archie will be back in power 5 hoops in due time.  He’s not a bad coach at all.  His Offense frustrated the hell out of me from day 1 and those early beat downs to iPfw and ISU put him on notice in my mind.  But he isn’t far away.  A normal FT % last season and he is still coaching IU.  I think he will adjust both sides of the ball and be just fine.  If he doesn’t adjust, well then, he’s a millionaire just as well, just not one coaching high level hoops. 

The thing is that even at Dayton his teams free throw percentage wasn't great

• Like 1

I think he’s happy to continue to cash his IU checks for as long as possible. I think the fact he never has addressed the IU fans tells me all I need to know about his commitment to this program and history. Not real high on him personally. Very glad we’ve moved on

Edited by iufaninand
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’m not convinced we ever see Archie at a power five again. His four years here were bad, real bad. Why would anyone who watched that say, “That’s our guy,”?  He will end up back at a lower level and then we will see if he can reproduce his Dayton results or if UD is just one of those places anyone can win. 
His brother may hurt him too. Would we have hired him if all that broke before we brought him in?  I really don’t know. 

Just for conversation sake. Bruce Weber was able to convince a P5 crew to hire him. If that waffling idiot can convince someone....Archie at age 45 or whatever certainly has about 3 more lives in P5ville. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

I think its a year or 2 off, collect some free money because his next payday will be a lot smaller. He will find his way back to a mid-major where he belongs. From stories I've been told i hope Archie learns a lesson on how to treat people around a program. Lose the cocky attitude he had with people behind the scenes

Kind of blows my mind he was able to maintain any sort of arrogance with how much of a disaster his tenure was.  I mean he wasn’t even just bad, he was a laughingstock in the Big Ten.  How many times did we hear players on other teams say they knew exactly what we were going to do going into a game?  Opposing coaches just ran rings around him, and the recruiting sucked on top of that.

Comparing him to Crean is honestly an insult to Crean (and Crean isn’t very good).

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Threedom said:

Yep. Just imagine if we were just bad (instead of God awful) from 3 and FT line. Archie would be our coach right now. Kudos to Dolson though. Saw things maybe I didn't see. Knew of players leaving or headed to league. Program needed a jolt and we have one. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Just imagine if we were just bad (instead of God awful) from 3 and FT line. Archie would be our coach right now. Kudos to Dolson though. Saw things maybe I didn't see. Knew of players leaving or headed to league. Program needed a jolt and we have one. 

Yes sir.  I’m certain we all know we are in a far better place.  And you are spot on with Dolson, Woodson is the hire, and he saw it before anyone even dreamed it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just for conversation sake. Bruce Weber was able to convince a P5 crew to hire him. If that waffling idiot can convince someone....Archie at age 45 or whatever certainly has about 3 more lives in P5ville. 

I see your point, but BW had some P5 success to point at, Archie had none. Maybe I’m wrong and he does get another P5 job but I think a smaller school rehab happens first. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I see your point, but BW had some P5 success to point at, Archie had none. Maybe I’m wrong and he does get another P5 job but I think a smaller school rehab happens first. 

Understand...but if BW can convince a school he's worthy of a shot. Anyone can. BW success was because the LSD guys opened things up for Self and Weber was handed a F4. Kind of like Mike Davis without the $. 

1 hour ago, Threedom said:

A normal FT % last season and he is still coaching IU.

We ended Archie's fourth season ranked 300th in the country for free throws.  Overall shooting was almost as bad.  That was what he built. 

I'm glad Coach Woodson is here.

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 2

Was not one to throw a coach under the bus. I felt Archie never was fully allowed to bring his guys in at the start because of Crean’s turnover problem and then tried to piece together teams. We never seemed to have a complete team for any system. I am happy for the change now and the direction of the team. However, I do not think Archie needs to tell me he was glad for the opportunity. As for if he will end up at a P5 school, I think yes if he wants it. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, MaroonRebel said:

Was not one to throw a coach under the bus. I felt Archie never was fully allowed to bring his guys in at the start because of Crean’s turnover problem and then tried to piece together teams. We never seemed to have a complete team for any system. I am happy for the change now and the direction of the team. However, I do not think Archie needs to tell me he was glad for the opportunity. As for if he will end up at a P5 school, I think yes if he wants it. 

Yep. My problem is I'll defend IU's basketball coach until the grave. I guess I'll never know the real reason but imagine if McKinley Wright came to IU right away? Fun for boards/discussion. Guess it just doesn't matter anymore.

1 hour ago, rico said:

There is the possibility that he will never coach again.  

I honestly feel this could happen. The last few weeks he was here, he just seemed broken. 

Another hot take: the FBI scandal broke during the fall of his first season here. Given what we now know about his brother, I've always wondered if Archie cheated at Dayton and was constantly looking over his shoulder throughout his IU tenure. 

9 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I honestly feel this could happen. The last few weeks he was here, he just seemed broken. 

Another hot take: the FBI scandal broke during the fall of his first season here. Given what we now know about his brother, I've always wondered if Archie cheated at Dayton and was constantly looking over his shoulder throughout his IU tenure. 

Now we’re jumping the shark. 

2 hours ago, rico said:

There is the possibility that he will never coach again.  

Hey...he had a great opportunity and he couldn't make it work.  Too bad.  We've moved on.  Not losing any sleep over Coach Miller.  There lots of folks who go through worse things.  Not feeling sorry for him.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

He’ll definitely coach again and will absolutely be a P5 coach.  His main flaw at IU was recruiting Dayton-type players to IU.  The IU job has a short-leash compared to many other schools.  He’ll be back.  

I really think a 180 was pulled on him in the end.  There were reports of him leaving the year-end meetings with Dolson/Admins as being encouraged about having another year.  Then, one or two days later, he’s fired.   

He knows basketball. He didn’t get to IU on accident.  The IU experience was a big lesson for him and he’ll adjust going forward … both in recruiting and going to a place with a longer leash.    Recruiting-wise - that first class unfortunately doomed him.   Looked great on paper, but never came to fruition.  Could be lack of developing guys.  Could be bad luck.  Could be a combo.   Also what handcuffs were on him early when maybe he could’ve brought McKinley to IU?  We’ll never know.    

He knows b-ball. He’s a good coach.  Didn’t work out here.    He’s not the next Belichick, but other very good coaches don’t succeed at places too.  It happens.  Didn’t work out here, but doesn’t mean he sucks. 

Edited by Bustout
  • Like 8

Just a few thoughts on CAM:

- Maybe with a guaranteed handsome income, coming off what had to be a stressful tenure at IU, he might decide to just spend time with his family for a while.  I believe his daughter is in her teens and they have no other kids - couldn't fault the guy for wanting to make up for lost opportunities to spend time with her and his wife while he can.

- I don't know if we'll ever know to what extent any constraints were placed on him when he took over.  If they they were significant, I could see them (along with some bad luck injuries) preventing him from building a national contender. But, even with whatever hand he was dealt, his teams still under performed and failed to develop and compete at an acceptable level - not only at IU, but any B10 program.

- In retrospect, I just don't think Archie was as passionate about being at IU as we would hope or expect.  Certainly his predecessor and successor showed/show much more enthusiasm for the job.  Someone said that it might have been a case of the opportunity being too good to pass up, but not a "dream job".  I really think that was true.

Edited by Zuckerkorn
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Just a few thoughts on CAM:

- Maybe with a guaranteed handsome income, coming off what had to be a stressful tenure at IU, he might decide to just spend time with his family for a while.  I believe his daughter is in her teens and they have no other kids - couldn't fault the guy for wanting to make up for lost opportunities to spend time with her and his wife while he can.

- I don't know if we'll ever know to what extent any constraints were placed on him when he took over.  If they they were significant, I could see them (along with some bad luck injuries) preventing him from building a national contender. But, even with whatever hand he was dealt, his teams still under performed and failed to develop and compete at an acceptable level - not only at IU, but any B10 program.

- In retrospect, I just don't think Archie was as passionate about being at IU as we would hope or expect.  Certainly his predecessor and successor showed/show much more enthusiasm for the job.  Someone said that it might have been a case of the opportunity being too good to pass up, but not a "dream job".  I really think that was true.

Without knowing him, hard to say he wasn’t passionate about the job.  Early on he talked about the phenomenal history of IU.  And every year he always talked about the fans and their passion, best in the country, etc.   

I think he could’ve been passionate about the job, but it’s just his outward personality didn’t reflect any of that. Unlike a guy like Musselman who acts like he’s in Hollywood at Arkansas.    

• Like 1

Three things about Archie...

I think he's a good coach who has a specific idea on how to build a team and a program...In retrospect, it was not the way a blue blood program can do it because the expectations are too high and success has to come sooner rather than later...No latitude for the egg we laid last year...

I think he'll get another P6 gig eventually...he may take another mid-major job first, but I can see a second tier ACC/SEC/B12 school giving him another chance (like Georgia did with Crean)...And I think if he's given long enough, he'll produce results...

I think one of the reasons for the silence is he felt betrayed. I remember when all of the rumors were going back and forth, and one was that after CAM's meeting with Dolson, he felt like he'd get another year...It'll be interesting when he breaks that silence...

When he was hired, I expected Tony Bennett defense with better offense. But for some reason, Archie's version of the Pack Line wasn't as effective as Bennett's is. If he can figure that out, he may be able to get back to the P5 level. Otherwise, I see him in the mid-majors going forward.