Dino Gaudio

1 hour ago, rico said:

The NCAA brings this crap on themselves for having the types of stupid rules I've highlighted below.  I mean, seriously, who the 'F' cares about these types of things?

According to the charge, Gaudio, during an in-person meeting with Louisville officials on March 17, "threatened to report to the media allegations that the University of Louisville men's basketball program had violated [NCAA] rules in its production of recruiting videos for prospective student-athletes and its use of graduate assistants in practice,

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Actually pretty nice move by Louisville. Trying to show they are open and transparent in the eyes of the NCAA by turning in one of their own. Probably hoping it will help with their own punishment coming. 

Lots of wiggle room in fed sentencing guidelines for extortion. Unless Dino has a prior history I don't expect much in terms of sentencing. Now if Dino starts talking to lessen his punishment....this could get real fun for Louisville and others. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The NCAA brings this crap on themselves for having the types of stupid rules I've highlighted below.  I mean, seriously, who the 'F' cares about these types of things?

According to the charge, Gaudio, during an in-person meeting with Louisville officials on March 17, "threatened to report to the media allegations that the University of Louisville men's basketball program had violated [NCAA] rules in its production of recruiting videos for prospective student-athletes and its use of graduate assistants in practice,

Wait.. GA's can't particapate in practice?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Wait.. GA's can't particapate in practice?

I think it is poorly worded. GA can't contact prospective athletes for recruiting purposes. In this instance probably with these recruiting videos etc. Basically UL was using their GA as a defacto assistant coach outside of what they are normally allowed. Don't think it has anything to do with actually practicing with the team.

(i) The individual may not evaluate or contact prospective student-athletes off campus, regardless of whether compensation is received for such activities. The individual may not perform recruiting coordination functions (see Bylaw 11.7.1.2); however, it is permissible for a graduate assistant coach to make telephone calls to and receive telephone calls from prospective studentathletes, provided the coach has successfully completed the coaches’ certification examination per Bylaw 11.5.1.1. (Revised: 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, 5/26/06)

Edited by dgambill
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

This is one of the least surprising. Zion's family receiving big benefits is like saying water is wet. 😀

Is Coach K retiring? Seems Williams got out when he saw the writing on the wall with instant transfers and NIL stuff and didn't want to deal with the new NCAA. Wonder how deep this goes until K says I'm not hanging around to go down with the ship. NCAA basketball and football is dirty pool....we all know it...and those good at it have benefited the last 30 years since the shoe companies and AAU turned it all upside down. What I love about the NCAA is the amateurism of the sport but that seems to be an illusion. I don't know how much longer this charade can last. Seems it is a house built upon the sand...and the earth is shifting. Won't be surprised if in my lifetime the NCAA is no more and these power schools form their own super leagues...ala La Liga/Premier League/Serie A/Bundesliga. Heck even with those it seems they are trying to still form a super league for the elite.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rico said:

@btownqb this does say its using GA in practice....guess I'm not following what the violation is. I thought it was common to have GA assist in practice. Go figure...I'll never understand the complexity of the NCAA rules book.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

@btownqb this does say its using GA in practice....guess I'm not following what the violation is. I thought it was common to have GA assist in practice. Go figure...I'll never understand the complexity of the NCAA rules book.

My understanding is that GA can act like additional assistant coaches. Looking at the article linked within that article, it seems like they might only be allowed to do that under certain circumstances. UTEP's trouble with GA use:

"Additionally, the parties agreed that the former softball coach allowed graduate assistants to provide skills instruction to student-athletes during extra workout sessions, regular practices and occasional competitions. This resulted in the program exceeding the maximum allowable countable coaches in at least four separate academic years, from the 2016-17 academic year through November 2019."

Here is what ziprecruiter says the role of the GA is:

"How to Become a Graduate Assistant Basketball Coach

To become a graduate assistant basketball coach, you need to have many qualifications. You must have completed your bachelor’s degree and meet the requirements to attend a graduate school at the university or college where you want to study and coach. You also need experience playing on a competitive basketball team as an undergraduate. Coaching, leadership, and planning skills are crucial for completing your job duties, including assisting the head coach, leading training sessions, maintaining equipment, organizing meets, and providing training support to players during practice and games. You may also need certification in CPR and First Aid training.

What Does a Graduate Assistant Basketball Coach Do?

A graduate assistant basketball coach works under a head coach to support a college level basketball team. In this career, you provide instruction to student-athletes by showing techniques and working to improve performance during practice and games. You provide feedback on individual workouts and group practice. You also assist in recruiting new team members and retaining current players. You are responsible for recording video footage, assessing plays, overseeing team travel, preparing for games, identifying skills and weaknesses, and fulfilling other duties as needed. A graduate assistant basketball coach also promotes good sportsmanship, health, and academic balance."

So maybe the GA can only help if not all of the coaches are there, like maybe when some are out recruiting. Maybe they were using the GA to get extra practice time with coaching, exceeding the NCAA allowed number of coaching hours. Or maybe there are different type of GA positions and some are non-coaching positions but they used them as coaching GA anyways. This last one seems like the most likely but I'm really not sure. 
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry, but penalizing a school for using Grad Assistants incorrectly in practice would rank right up there with Charity Calendars and Bumper Stickers on the Stupidity Meter of the NCAA.  It's not like UL went out and hired Kenny Payne as a fake 'Grad Assistant' in an attempt to circumvent rules to gain some sort of advantage. 

Beyond that, let's not lose sight of how pathetic this was of Gaudio.  He's mad at Chris Mack.  He can't turn him in for strippers or paying players.  So, he decides to blow the whistle on how grad assistants are used in practice.  Seriously?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm sorry, but penalizing a school for using Grad Assistants incorrectly in practice would rank right up there with Charity Calendars and Bumper Stickers on the Stupidity Meter of the NCAA.  It's not like UL went out and hired Kenny Payne as a fake 'Grad Assistant' in an attempt to circumvent rules to gain some sort of advantage. 

Beyond that, let's not lose sight of how pathetic this was of Gaudio.  He's mad at Chris Mack.  He can't turn him in for strippers or paying players.  So, he decides to blow the whistle on how grad assistants are used in practice.  Seriously?

Agreed. I still think they may have been using them for recruiting purposes outside of what is allowed. Maybe meaning using them for contacting players outside of allowed time and amount that coaches could. Basically backdoor recruiting along with these recruiting videos they were misusing. Agreed if this is the GA's were helping kids get shots up outside of normal practice hours etc....that's just a dumb rule.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. I still think they may have been using them for recruiting purposes outside of what is allowed. Maybe meaning using them for contacting players outside of allowed time and amount that coaches could. Basically backdoor recruiting along with these recruiting videos they were misusing. Agreed if this is the GA's were helping kids get shots up outside of normal practice hours etc....that's just a dumb rule.

The article linked in the original post seems to indicate the GA piece of this was for practices and workouts, not recruiting.

Louisville officials said in a statement. "The allegations of violations are the impermissible production of recruiting videos for prospective student-athletes and the impermissible use of graduate managers in practices and workouts.

And, as far as the recruiting video....that's a stupid rule too.  And, any kid that makes a decision based on the contents of a video is making a stupid decision as well.  

The fact that the NCAA wastes their time on crap like this while ignoring academic fraud perpetuated at the level it was at UNC speaks volumes as to why college basketball as we know it is in real danger of becoming irrelevant.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2