2022 QB Conner Harrell

Indykev

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

Gatorade player of the year in Alabama.

I would have expected that Gatorade Player of the Year in the state of Alabama to have some bigger names on his list.  Obviously has his academics in order with Duke, Vandy, and Northwestern on the list.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I would have expected that Gatorade Player of the Year in the state of Alabama to have some bigger names on his list.  Obviously has his academics in order with Duke, Vandy, and Northwestern on the list.

I know he had an offer from Tennessee...don't how may other SEC schools offered.

54 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Nick Tronti won FL Mr Football and essentially only had us recruiting him out of the power 5 schools. 

It's similar to like Jimmer Fredette not making it in the pros. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thompson High school is a powerhouse down here. It's usually Thompson and Hoover, then everyone else.  Our school dropped down a class due to enrollment,  but used to play them.  Didn't see him play last fall, but their QBs are usually high D1 talent. (Tua and his brother attended Thompson)

I'll ask around for details on him.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Nick Tronti won FL Mr Football and essentially only had us recruiting him out of the power 5 schools. 

It's similar to like Jimmer Fredette not making it in the pros. 

Exactly. A guy might absolutely kill it at one level but there’s a gap in his measurables that either prevents his ability to translate up a level, or at least there’s a perception of that being the case.  

You could throw out names like you mentioned.   Some overcome this like Baker Mayfield.  I think he’s barely 6’0.   He was a walkon and ended up the first overall pick.  Perhaps Braden Smith and Luke Brown are in this discussion.  

You could be the junk ball pitcher who throws upper 80s and gets guys out at double A with a microscopic ERA but would get clobbered in the majors.  On the other hand, other guys have lackluster performance at one level but have ridiculous tools and put it together later.  It’s a fun yet confusing part of projecting guys.  It can lead to fun discussion for sure.   Had to mention Luke just for my friend, @IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Edited by BobSaccamanno

21 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Thompson High school is a powerhouse down here. It's usually Thompson and Hoover, then everyone else.  Our school dropped down a class due to enrollment,  but used to play them.  Didn't see him play last fall, but their QBs are usually high D1 talent. (Tua and his brother attended Thompson)

I'll ask around for details on him.

I lived in Prattville and they were also really good. Its been a min. So that might have chaged...

J 

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

I lived in Prattville and they were also really good. Its been a min. So that might have chaged...

J 

Still very good.  As is Oxford.  Thompson and Hoover are in an arms race and on another level.  Both enrollments and resources/facilities are ballooning. Tons of D1 talent come out of those schools.

15 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Still very good.  As is Oxford.  Thompson and Hoover are in an arms race and on another level.  Both enrollments and resources/facilities are ballooning. Tons of D1 talent come out of those schools.

Just for reference.. I googled Hoover. They are right at 3K students, Thompson is just over 2K. Hoover would be the 11th largest HS in Indiana and Thompson would be the 32nd biggest HS in Indiana.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, btownqb said:

Just for reference.. I googled Hoover. They are right at 3K students, Thompson is just over 2K. Hoover would be the 11th largest HS in Indiana and Thompson would be the 32nd biggest HS in Indiana.

True. But the population of Indiana is 6.7 million vs 4.9 in Bama. Hoover is almost 3k while they're nearest rivals are around 2k.  Hoover and Thompson both have great coaches and youth programs,  but being 50% larger than your rivals definitely helps. That being said, they're no Carmel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

True. But the population of Indiana is 6.7 million vs 4.9 in Bama. Hoover is almost 3k while they're nearest rivals are around 2k.  Hoover and Thompson both have great coaches and youth programs,  but being 50% larger than your rivals definitely helps. That being said, they're no Carmel.

Oh I was just stating general info. Nothing more to it. Indiana HS are insane with their enrollments. Wait 10 years and see Fishers, HSE, and Westfield. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Oh I was just stating general info. Nothing more to it. Indiana HS are insane with their enrollments. Wait 10 years and see Fishers, HSE, and Westfield. 

I appreciate the info on Indiana high school football. Been gone for 25 years.  Bama high school football is strong, but other than Hoover and Thompson,  not sure they could compete with metro Indy teams.

2 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I appreciate the info on Indiana high school football. Been gone for 25 years.  Bama high school football is strong, but other than Hoover and Thompson,  not sure they could compete with metro Indy teams.

Carmel, BD, WC, and CG are impressive. Avon, BBurg on their heels. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, btownqb said:

Someone told me a few years ago that in 10 years, at this pace, Westfield will have a senior class of 2500. 

The amount of new builds up here is insane.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What? Absolutely they are not. 

Not all but 2 of the five bigger ones absolutely are.  I work in one.  My wife works in another.  Carmel has definitely hit a plateau.  They’re done growing.  Noblesville has as well.  Maybe some slight growth there.  HSE and Fishers have really slowed their growth.  Westfield has the most growth ahead but they are still catching up with those others.  But they also don’t have the land to grow like Carmel once did.  They will never be as big as Carmel is.

Edited by thirdgenhoosier

5 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

That will not happen.  Hamilton County schools are already or are starting to level off.

I found 3 articles like this.  Westfield was number 2 in growth 17, 18, and 19.  Couldn't find 20 data.  Money.com said "its population surged 45% between 2010 and 2020."

For me to get to 31 from my house, I drive by about 8 or 9 new neighborhoods, that's on the east side of 31 and I know of a massive one going in on the west side southwest of 31 and St Rd 38.  Whitestown has won fastest growing 7 years straight but their population is 1/8th of Westfield.  I don't know if that guy was accurate in what he told me but the data and the eye test says it's exploding, still. To go along with city people moving out mid and post pandemic, it's not slowing down in the near future.  

https://news.iu.edu/stories/2019/05/iub/releases/23-whitestown-westfield-top-list-of-growing-communities.html

Edited by NotIThatLives

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I found 3 articles like this.  Westfield was number 2 in growth 17, 18, and 19.  Couldn't find 20 data.  Money.com said "its population surged 45% between 2010 and 2020."

For me to get to 31 from my house, I drive my about 8 or 9 new neighborhoods, that's on the east side of 31 and I know of a massive one going in on the west side southwest of 31 and St Rd 38.  Whitestone has won fastest growing 7 years straight bit their population is 1/8th of Westfield.  I don't know if that guy was accurate in what he told me but the data and the eye test says it's exploding, still. To go along with city people moving out mid and post pandemic, it's not allowing down in the near future.  

https://news.iu.edu/stories/2019/05/iub/releases/23-whitestown-westfield-top-list-of-growing-communities.html

Oh Westfield still is growing for sure.  Didn’t mean to imply that they weren’t.      Again, they’re still catching up to the other county schools because they have room right now.  But their township is smaller than Carmel-Clay. My guess is they’ll eventually get to 3500 maybe 4000 students with graduation classes of 1000.

23 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Oh Westfield still is growing for sure.  Didn’t mean to imply that they weren’t.      Again, they’re still catching up to the other county schools because they have room right now.  But their township is smaller than Carmel-Clay. My guess is they’ll eventually get to 3500 maybe 4000 students with graduation classes of 1000.

Here is Westfield enrollment by grade.  I see nothing crazy like that guy told me.  I do know that there are new builds everywhere.  I think they may go all the way up to 206 because a buddy of mine lives just north of 38 and his kids are Westfield.  Then you have Sheridan stealing kids and Noblesville as well.  Just north of 216 definitely goes to Hamilton heights, east of 31, not sure about farther north if it jumps across 31.  

Screenshot_20210522-191846.png

• Like 1

Finally got some intel on Harrell from a former Thompson qb.  His first words were, "kid can sling it ". When I ask him about playing in the B1G he said, "I don't know, mid major for sure,  but not sure about Power 5 starter".  He also said he is pretty raw, but has tons of talent and is very coachable.  

• Thanks 2