2022 QB Conner Harrell

Indykev

13 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Finally got some intel on Harrell from a former Thompson qb.  His first words were, "kid can sling it ". When I ask him about playing in the B1G he said, "I don't know, mid major for sure,  but not sure about Power 5 starter".  He also said he is pretty raw, but has tons of talent and is very coachable.  

First of all thanks. Second: Indiana, UNC, NW, AZ St, Duke, WVU, and Michigan... have all offered. That isn't mid major. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

First of all thanks. Second: Indiana, UNC, NW, AZ St, Duke, WVU, and Michigan... have all offered. That isn't mid major. 

True, just relaying a quote.  My buddy is a pretty pragmatic guy,  and also a huge Bama fan. He's used to 5 stars, so a pretty tough grader of talent.  The potential is obviously there for Harrell.

I watched Talia Tagovailoa and Thompson play Mountain Brook in high school, and wasn't overly impressed.  There was no way he was going to start at Bama.  Harrell seems more Talia than Tua.  Nothing wrong with that, not many are Tua!

Depending on the date, I'm going to try to get to the Hoover-Thompson game this fall.  That will be a great test for him.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 7:45 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

Exactly. A guy might absolutely kill it at one level but there’s a gap in his measurables that either prevents his ability to translate up a level, or at least there’s a perception of that being the case.  

You could throw out names like you mentioned.   Some overcome this like Baker Mayfield.  I think he’s barely 6’0.   He was a walkon and ended up the first overall pick.  Perhaps Braden Smith and Luke Brown are in this discussion.  

You could be the junk ball pitcher who throws upper 80s and gets guys out at double A with a microscopic ERA but would get clobbered in the majors.  On the other hand, other guys have lackluster performance at one level but have ridiculous tools and put it together later.  It’s a fun yet confusing part of projecting guys.  It can lead to fun discussion for sure.   Had to mention Luke just for my friend, @IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Oh bob ….you always warm my heart through this cold stretch of no basketball .  Hope you guys are having a good start to summer.  May many fish and few bogies grace your off-season 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • KDB changed the title to 2022 QB Conner Harrell
  • 3 months later...

Finally was able to watch Harrell live last night. First of all, why Mountain Brook schedule the #6 in the country for their homecoming is baffling.  Mountain Brook was undefeated in 6A and steamrolling everyone. Their defense has been stellar.

That being said, Thompson and Harrell are on another planet in terms of talent. They have a linebacker committed to Bama, and high D1 talent all over the field.

Harrell threw on the run better than anyone I've seen live in a long time.  Left or right, short or long, he threw lasers.  He ran for a couple scores after getting screamed at by his coach for lofting a duck from the 5 yard line that should have been intercepted. The next play, he tucked and ran around and over multiple defenders for the score.

When he was decisive, he was pretty much unstoppable throwing and running.  His receivers use great speed and route running to create separation.   His passes were on time, well placed, and absolute rockets.   Busted plays were fun to watch because his legs and arm allowed for him to create big plays.

Rough night for the home team, but nobody expected them to keep it close.  We left in the 3rd down 45-0. Great opportunity to watch a potential star in college.

• Thanks 3