2023 PG Jeremy Fears Commits to Michigan State

Sounds like Woodson's staff is doing a really nice job with recruits.

Interesting that this is the first time I've really heard a recruits family comment on the living quarters.  That's always something you hear with a place like Kentucky but it's nice to hear that IU put on a favorable impression.  I assume where the players live is pretty new?

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Interesting that this is the first time I've really heard a recruits family comment on the living quarters.  That's always something you hear with a place like Kentucky but it's nice to hear that IU put on a favorable impression.  I assume where the players live is pretty new?

Stuck out to me as well. They live in complex across the street called Evolve. Nice to hear a family say all facilities are nice but these are next level. Makes it nicer hearing them saying that after visiting Missouri and Illinois too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Imagine the package the coaching staff can put together. Hi I’m mike Woodson. Legend here, played in nba, know what it takes to get there, and stay there. 

oh that guy? That’s just Thad Matta. Oh the new player development guy? Spent 15 years in the league. Dane fife? 2002 guy. Izzo guy. Indiana guy down deep.  Kenya and yasir? Deep roots all over country. 

the attraction is back. There’s no way this could have gone better in woodys first 2-3 months. No way. 

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

He’s the best pg we’ve offered since yogi 

Highest rated...or best talent? Just wondering where you are coming from because we've offered a lot of top flight point guards lately...even under Archie. Not landed many...probably Lander being the most prominent. 

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

What body part do you have to cut off to afford living in a place like that?

Bloomington is a strange place this last 10 years or so. The levels of $ I've seen down there over the past decade keeps getting bigger and bigger. Places like Evolve are almost normal or expected to some. 

Little bit nicer than my 338, 395 Varsity Villa....our senior we stepped up big and moved to Elkins. Sorry to derail.

This kid would be an impressive haul and get us back in the door at La Lu which I don't mind anymore. Top 25 out of state talents who love our tradition and blown away on first visit. Not bad Coach Woodson!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Man...that IS nice. 

I didn't dig too deep but I had the impression they are privately-owned/not part of the university.  I think that would allow IU athletics to lease rooms for student athletes without worrying about running afoul of the rule on athlete housing being available to other students.  Strikes me as a way to level the playing field with wildcat lodge...have a private individual or company with a lot of resources that loves IU build a really high-end student housing complex knowing that a significant percentage of them will be leased to IU student athletes each year. 

If that's what happened, it sounds like a real win-win to me.

• Like 3

Take the basketball program out of it.  It’s nice, but probably out of whack for many.  We all lived in McNutt, the Villas, etc,, but college was a significant expense and you kind of expected to live a spartan existence.  But with the cost of tuition becoming absurd and disproportionate, the developers of Evolve, and no doubt places like it elsewhere, came up with a very smart business proposition.  Tuition goes up, hence student loans just keep driving up.  Take advantage of the situation by developing expensive luxury apartments for students who want amenities and can just put it on their tabs.  

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 10:32 AM, BobSaccamanno said:

Take the basketball program out of it.  It’s nice, but probably out of whack for many.  We all lived in McNutt, the Villas, etc,, but college was a significant expense and you kind of expected to live a spartan existence.  But with the cost of tuition becoming absurd and disproportionate, the developers of Evolve, and no doubt places like it elsewhere, came up with a very smart business proposition.  Tuition goes up, hence student loans just keep driving up.  Take advantage of the situation by developing expensive luxury apartments for students who want amenities and can just put it on their tabs.  

There is a new 580 bed building going up now on Walnut, where the Motel 6 used to sit, that is going to match Evolve. Plenty of takers with Evolve always having a wait list. 3 more buildings going up around BTown along with this big one. I for one hope they build themselves into lower rent. Only so many bodies to fill all the housing.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Indykev said:

There is a new 580 bed building going up now on Walnut, where the Motel 6 used to sit, that is going to match Evolve. Plenty of takers with Evolve always having a wait list. 3 more buildings going up around BTown along with this big one. I for one hope they build themselves into lower rent. Only so many bodies to fill all the housing.

I wonder how far into the future that a majority of college courses and majors will simply be online only. As bad as the pandemic was and as poorly many schools handled the remote learning experience you can't help but still see that the need for these HUGE universities will go the way of the shopping malls etc. Heck Doctors practice and basically perform surgeries in VR...at what point does technology advances make sitting in uncomfortable auditoriums and signing up for over priced sucky meal plans and living in shoeboxes become unappealing and pointless when you can get a college education from your very own home and have momma cook you a real meal. Then what happens to these college towns, these huge buildings...if we think the library will be the least used building on campus just give it 25-50 years and no one will need to step foot in a class room, lab, or dorm room. It can all be done virtually. I'm sure these colleges and universities will still find a way to get their money but there will be innovative ones that will push the boundaries and the traditional ones will have to follow suit or get left behind. Heck probably kids will be graduating from Amazon U, Google & Facebook University....kinda scary to even think about lol.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

i saw somewhere that Kentucky is sniffing around

Booo!!!!   Honestly he really doesn't fit their typical PG. Like anything Cal can change up his style but he typically goes for longer/elite athlete point guards (6'3-6'5 range) over the smaller/quick guys. Overall measurables seem to trump a lot of things with his recruits (wingspan etc)...so I would be surprised if he made a big push for the young man.

58 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Booo!!!!   Honestly he really doesn't fit their typical PG. Like anything Cal can change up his style but he typically goes for longer/elite athlete point guards (6'3-6'5 range) over the smaller/quick guys. Overall measurables seem to trump a lot of things with his recruits (wingspan etc)...so I would be surprised if he made a big push for the young man.

UK has a 5'6 PG on their roster right now.