Overtime Elite gets first "commitment"

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I read the ESPN article on it, and they said OTE was "well funded." But "well funded" only lasts so long if there's no revenue coming in...What will be their revenue source?

Exactly. You need fans to pay to attend games.  Who are these fans going to be? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Exactly. You need fans to pay to attend games.  Who are these fans going to be? 

TV money imo is what they will need. TV equals exposure and marketing options. Contract with ESPN or another streaming service. You line those up and it really doesn't matter how many people you let into games. In fact the more people that come the bigger the venue to rent out and the more overhead for paying workers, security, venue. Not sure that is even necessary if you can get it televised.

• Like 1

I also wonder if OE doesn't have an agent arm to their organization.  You have to wonder if these kids don't have an agent as soon as they sign with OE?  To me, that would be the sustaining revenue mechanism for such an entity.

Not real impressed with Kevin Ollie as head coach, but he can argue that he won a championship I guess.

18 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/matt-ryan-bewley-become-first-overtime-elite-signings-as-five-star-prospect-twins-choose-upstart-program/

If this becomes a viable option, it will help ferret out the kids who really have no inclination to go to class, and will make the college game all the better, imo.

Agree that this could ultimately help college ball.  Should see a lot more 3-4 year players in the college game.  There will still be 'stars' in college ball.  They will just be stars of a different kind, the 4 year guy who develops while in college to become an All-American, as opposed to the pre-ordained ones who are gone after their freshmen year.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

TV money imo is what they will need. TV equals exposure and marketing options. Contract with ESPN or another streaming service. You line those up and it really doesn't matter how many people you let into games. In fact the more people that come the bigger the venue to rent out and the more overhead for paying workers, security, venue. Not sure that is even necessary if you can get it televised.

Ok, who’s going to watch these games? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Yep...no alumni, no regional appeal...just scouts and people who don't like reality shows or infomercials...

Sponsors aren't going to be sponsors long if they're not getting a return on their investment...

I feel sorry for kids today because they are not allowed to be kids any longer. At the age of 10 it is all about travel sports and not letting kids just play for the fun of it.  I go by basketball courts in parks or schools and don't see many pickup games like you use to.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I feel sorry for kids today because they are not allowed to be kids any longer. At the age of 10 it is all about travel sports and not letting kids just play for the fun of it.  I go by basketball courts in parks or schools and don't see many pickup games like you use to.

I really don't understand travel leagues. If you live anywhere near Indy, there are going to be hundreds if not thousands of good players within a half hour of your house. Why would you go farther than that to play some other kid? And for that rare kid who really is that good, just play kids a couple years older than you.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I really don't understand travel leagues. If you live anywhere near Indy, there are going to be hundreds if not thousands of good players within a half hour of your house. Why would you go farther than that to play some other kid? And for that rare kid who really is that good, just play kids a couple years older than you.

Agree on this, if you live around Indy. 99.5% of athletes can get plenty of competition just at the tournaments that go on at Grand Park on weekends. The best of the best come to play here from all over the Midwest and even the country in some cases. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I just feel sorry kids don’t play other sports for the most part. It’s why I believe there are so many injuries in these repetitive sports.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Who knows. If they are able to get Nike and Addidas and under armor etc to sponsor it to land shoe deals for kids they will find a way. I mean there are all kinds of hockey, baseball, and football leagues across the country that aren’t tied to the major leagues...if they are smart they will figure it out. I mean I watched a spring league football game on tv the other day. Not a single fan in Lucas Oil...yet it’s on tv.

• 1 month later...

From NBC Sports:

Jalen Lewis, 16, youngest player to turn pro in American basketball – for $1M with Overtime Elite

High school junior Jalen Lewis — a five-star basketball recruit — is signing a contract with the new Overtime Elite professional league, sources tell The Athletic. His multiyear deal is worth more than $1 million, sources said.

Lewis, 16 and born in 2005, is the youngest prospect ever to turn pro in America.

This is yet another sign of how much the landscape is changing. Lewis – who played at Bishop O’Dowd High School in Oakland, Calif. – ranks just No. 12 in the class of 2023 247Sports Composite.

Imagine what even more highly touted prospects will draw as options open in the coming years.

Replying to:

@Steubenhoosier

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m all for capitalism, but these same kids clamoring for these opportunities will be complaining that they didn’t get the right guidance when it doesn’t work out in the long term for them. Hope they have the right people in their lives. 

Just to much money anymore in sports and they can get it younger and younger.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m all for capitalism, but these same kids clamoring for these opportunities will be complaining that they didn’t get the right guidance when it doesn’t work out in the long term for them. Hope they have the right people in their lives. 

Hey, if the young man thinks an Edsel is the next great moneymaker then go for it.  Just don't whine if it doesn't sell.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Nothing wrong with your post and I tend to agree with you.  Time will tell on how this works out.  One thing I don't know about any of these kids is the culture they grew up in/growing up in.  One thing I know is how I grew up.  I didn't grow up with bullets flying all around.  The only gang I knew was the "Our Gang"  I lived with and knew who my parents were.  I didn't "want" for anything.  I had lots of presents under the tree every Christmas.  Most importantly I never went to bed hungry ever.

Had I been "miserable" I might have walked the same path these young men are going to walk...

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, rico said:

Nothing wrong with your post and I tend to agree with you.  Time will tell on how this works out.  One thing I don't know about any of these kids is the culture they grew up in/growing up in.  One thing I know is how I grew up.  I didn't grow up with bullets flying all around.  The only gang I knew was the "Our Gang"  I lived with and knew who my parents were.  I didn't "want" for anything.  I had lots of presents under the tree every Christmas.  Most importantly I never went to bed hungry ever.

Had I been "miserable" I might have walked the same path these young men are going to walk...

I get it, but just hope they have the right people guiding them or they’ll end right back up with bullets flying around them. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I get it, but just hope they have the right people guiding them or they’ll end right back up with bullets flying around them. 

Completely understood...where as a college education might solve the problem.

• Like 2

I hope these young people have good mentors as well, but at some point they will have to be fully accountable for their lives. If they sign a big contract and do well, good for them. If they blow through it, hope they learn from it. Many of these guys have been coddled all their lives. I won’t watch a second of their games. I wish all of these young men well. If they don’t make it, I won’t lose any sleep. Let them succeed or fall. If they are savvy enough, and talented enough to sign a 7-figure contract, no sympathy if it doesn’t work out 

• Like 3