Overtime Elite gets first "commitment"

5 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

and most pro athletes make more money from sponsors than they do contracts so its really no different.

The money Peyton has made in endorsements is probably crazy high by now. By the time he retired with career earnings and endorsements he had made over 400 million and probably only half of that is salary and bonuses.

I don't think there is much of a market for this to be honest.  Look at the NBA's numbers.  They are the pinnacle of their sport and it is not like the NBA is appointment TV.  I mean, if the kid can get a million at 16, you do you man.  However, I just don't see long term sustainability for a league paying that kind of money to high school kids to play basketball.  There is only a short window in the summer where they would not be competing with more popular alternatives.  Why watch these semi pros when the NBA is available?  Why watch these guys you have no connection to when your Alma Mater or state school is available?  Why watch this when the NFL and college football are available?

Only the most diehard sports fans are going to be looking for something like this and it will only be when a whole host of other options is not available.  That does not scream "league capable of inking $1 million deals with 16 year olds and staying viable" to me.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yep, prep schools...

IF they can get the prep schools to play against "professional players" as the article mentions...there might be some ramifications if they do...

The main thing that I garnered from the article is that my dislike for Silver still stands.  I am starting to wonder if the NBA's objective all along has to been to destroy the college game.  Or maybe I am just drunk?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

and most pro athletes make more money from sponsors than they do contracts so its really no different.

I don't believe this at all. Maybe some star athletes who get site deals and a bunch of other large endorsement deals but I doubt it's most pros. Others that might are those with big personalities but small contacts. But most bench warmers in basketball aren't known enough to get a bunch of endorsement money. The same goes for 2nd and 3rd string football players and positions in football like offensive linemen whose players aren't often well known 

50 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I don't believe this at all. Maybe some star athletes who get site deals and a bunch of other large endorsement deals but I doubt it's most pros. Others that might are those with big personalities but small contacts. But most bench warmers in basketball aren't known enough to get a bunch of endorsement money. The same goes for 2nd and 3rd string football players and positions in football like offensive linemen whose players aren't often well known 

Brings to mind Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.  Brady is by most objective standards the greatest QB to ever play and yet, Peyton is the one I see doing all the TV pitching.  Is it just a regional thing because he played in Indy or does he have a lot more endorsement deals in general? I can't recall seeing Brady pitching anything on TV besides a football. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Brings to mind Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.  Brady is by most objective standards the greatest QB to ever play and yet, Peyton is the one I see doing all the TV pitching.  Is it just a regional thing because he played in Indy or does he have a lot more endorsement deals in general? I can't recall seeing Brady pitching anything on TV besides a football. 

Mr Bündchen's wife makes enough money that he doesn't have to partake in such loutish activities...

😁

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't think it's regional, I believe you're right. I love in AZ and I see many more Manning commercials than Brady.

Part of that is personality. Manning comes off as a down to earth, likeable guy even though he's goofy looking. Brady is a good looking guy (certainly better looking than Manning) but vibes off as a total d-bag. It's also possible that he doesn't really work hard to get endorsements while Manning does. I'm not in the marketing business so I can only speculate why that is.

As far as football is concerned, while Brady is considered to be the GOAT, they're both 1st ballot HoF quarterbacks so I don't think that the talent gap is large enough that Brady would have a large advantage over Manning in that aspect.

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

I don't think it's regional, I believe you're right. I love in AZ and I see many more Manning commercials than Brady.

Part of that is personality. Manning comes off as a down to earth, likeable guy even though he's goofy looking. Brady is a good looking guy (certainly better looking than Manning) but vibes off as a total d-bag. It's also possible that he doesn't really work hard to get endorsements while Manning does. I'm not in the marketing business so I can only speculate why that is.

As far as football is concerned, while Brady is considered to be the GOAT, they're both 1st ballot HoF quarterbacks so I don't think that the talent gap is large enough that Brady would have a large advantage over Manning in that aspect.

Agree with this and would add that one guy is retired while the other is still focused on plying his trade 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

I think you see Manning in more commercials because that is more Manning's  type of thing and his personality. 

Brady "vibing as a d-bag" is certainly a subjective opinion and one that would be skewed negatively by the board we're on (an Indiana board). 

There's no doubt Tom Brady could have tons of national endorsements if he wanted too. He's just more selective in those things (I don't mean that negatively towards Manning at all, just different ways of operating). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

My quick google search says that Manning is estimated to make 10 million a year from endorsements. Brady makes 22 million.

Link

How much does Tom Brady make in endorsements?

Even though Brady’s one of the most recognized names in sports (and considered the G.O.A.T. of NFL QBs), he’s never been a huge moneymaker when it comes to endorsements. Forbes currently estimates that his endorsement deals for brands like Under Armour, Sam Adams, Foot Locker and Tag Heuer bring in just $12 million a year.

Link II

Manning remains one of the world’s most marketable athletes as he also made huge money off the field. He endorses many major global brands including Nike, Buick, Papa Johns, and DirecTV. He also has affiliations with Sony, ESPN, Spring, Master Card, and Gatorade. In addition, he also owns 32 Papa John’s pizza stores located in Colorado and earns over $25 million a year in endorsements alone.

So, who knows?

You're right...who knows?  All I feel confident in saying is that if Brady is making half of what Manning is making in endorsements, I'd still see Manning as a relative bargain.  Brady's endorsement deals don't seem nearly as visible.  I'd expect something like Under Armour but I was honestly unaware of all Brady's listed endorsements.  That's not getting a lot if bang for your buck, IMO, which brings me back to my original topic-jumping thought...the best athletes may not make the most under the NIL.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

the best athletes may not make the most under the NIL.

I definitely agree with that. I I've said it before and I'll say it again, think Priller could've done well for himself if the NIL rules were in place when he was in school. It certainly wouldn't have been because he was a great player. So I won't be surprised if future fan favorites who play limited time sometimes make more from endorsements than some starters.

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

You're right...who knows?  All I feel confident in saying is that if Brady is making half of what Manning is making in endorsements, I'd still see Manning as a relative bargain.  Brady's endorsement deals don't seem nearly as visible.  I'd expect something like Under Armour but I was honestly unaware of all Brady's listed endorsements.  That's not getting a lot if bang for your buck, IMO, which brings me back to my original topic-jumping thought...the best athletes may not make the most under the NIL.

The reason you don’t see Tom Brady ads and see it as being a good bang for your buck is because Tom Brady markets to a totally different crowd then Peyton Manning. Tom Brady positions himself in high end luxury products with very low National visability. He promotes Tag Heur & Movado watches, Ugg boots, and Aston Martins. Glaceau Smart Water…even does a lot of international work in Europe. He sells to the high end because he is seen as the best…the best only buy the best. Brady resinates with rich high end luxury brands and he doesn’t lower his image peddling papa John’s pizza or Buick’s. Peyton marketing is like his game…stats heavy…quantity over quality. He is very down to earth and resinates to the every man. Hey I want to be like Peyton….he uses nationwide insurance and a Buick is cool enough for him. You don’t see Brady commercials because you aren’t the target audience for the most part of what he is selling. Also those type of goods aren’t in your face advertisers. You’ll see a magazine ad, an internet ad that is exclusively on high end websites etc. I’d say though that Brady probably drives the same value for those companies though who aren’t looking for volume and mass appeal but rather a niche market that Brady exclusiveness speaks to. Probably doesn’t hurt Im sure Tom gets plenty of advice and direction from how Gisele markets her brand.

So in conclusion…just two different types of promotions and both are excellent at what they do. I think both are very effective and both found a great market for their services.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

The reason you don’t see Tom Brady ads and see it as being a good bang for your buck is because Tom Brady markets to a totally different crowd then Peyton Manning. Tom Brady positions himself in high end luxury products with very low National visability. He promotes Tag Heur & Movado watches, Ugg boots, and Aston Martins. Glaceau Smart Water…even does a lot of international work in Europe. He sells to the high end because he is seen as the best…the best only buy the best. Brady resinates with rich high end luxury brands and he doesn’t lower his image peddling papa John’s pizza or Buick’s. Peyton marketing is like his game…stats heavy…quantity over quality. He is very down to earth and resinates to the every man. Hey I want to be like Peyton….he uses nationwide insurance and a Buick is cool enough for him. You don’t see Brady commercials because you aren’t the target audience for the most part of what he is selling. Also those type of goods aren’t in your face advertisers. You’ll see a magazine ad, an internet ad that is exclusively on high end websites etc. I’d say though that Brady probably drives the same value for those companies though who aren’t looking for volume and mass appeal but rather a niche market that Brady exclusiveness speaks to. Probably doesn’t hurt Im sure Tom gets plenty of advice and direction from how Gisele markets her brand.

So in conclusion…just two different types of promotions and both are excellent at what they do. I think both are very effective and both found a great market for their services.

This is a phenomenal post! 

The addition I would have is that Brady also spends a ton of time on his own TB12 brand as well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think you're spot on, but, in keeping with the earlier posts, I would change the bolded to "d-bags want to buy a product endorsed by a d-bag".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is a phenomenal post! 

The addition I would have is that Brady also spends a ton of time on his own TB12 brand as well. 

Yep…that too. He is very select with his brand image. Very conscious about that. Nothing wrong with it…just how he goes about it and a very well planned out decision. I doubt he will ever be selling bud light or pizza hut. It will always be premium products and services like luxury brands and wealth management etc. Plenty of advertising dollars out there…Peyton who appeals to the avg joe with his self deprivation has his lane and Brady with his aura of clout and class has his.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Yep…that too. He is very select with his brand image. Very conscious about that. Nothing wrong with it…just how he goes about it and a very well planned out decision. I doubt he will ever be selling bud light or pizza hut. It will always be premium products and services like luxury brands and wealth management etc. Plenty of advertising dollars out there…Peyton who appeals to the avg joe with his self deprivation has his lane and Brady with his aura of clout and class has his.

100%, and as you said earlier most of the brands that Brady reps aren't doing national TV campaigns.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

100%, and as you said earlier most of the brands that Brady reps aren't doing national TV campaigns.

Exactly…open a magazine in the sky lounge or look at ads in Forbes etc etc…then you’ll see Brady. I will say he is starting to lighten up…see his T-Mobile commercial with Gronk…but also he isn’t immune from a head scratcher lol…remember the mattress commercial he did a few years ago?? Weird!

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

Tom Brady does spots for Macy's.