IU and Vaccine

IU announced yesterday that if you want to teach or be a student you must have the vaccine by June 1st.. This is a public school that gets tax payer funding. Your thoughts? Get ready, if you want to go to a sporting event and they are making students, you better have the vaccine. I dont care if you have or not, not my business, just putting this out there. I have taken the vaccine so if anyone has any tickets you now want to unload hit me up......lol.

An old high school friend from home says her daughter tried to switch her enrollment for online only and they told her she can't even do that.  As of this morning, her Facebook thread was flooded with unapproving comments.  They say they are taking their money elsewhere.  

This is one I could see them lightening up on in a few more months depending on how things go.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

IU announced yesterday that if you want to teach or be a student you must have the vaccine by June 1st.. This is a public school that gets tax payer funding. Your thoughts? Get ready, if you want to go to a sporting event and they are making students, you better have the vaccine. I dont care if you have or not, not my business, just putting this out there. I have taken the vaccine so if anyone has any tickets you now want to unload hit me up......lol.

I will be watching this one play out closely.  With all the "to-do" with the mask mandate I can about guess how a "vaccine mandate" is gonna play out.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm good with it.  I was required to have certain vaccines before I started elementary school back in 1970.  Dont see this as much different.

Remember what those vaccines were for?  Measles, Mumps, and Rubella?  Small pox and polio?  Did I miss any?

This seems heavy handed. Student populations are one of the least impacted age groups. I understand the need to take precautions, but at least allow for alternatives for those who are uncomfortable with the vaccine. We are moving into authoritarian territory here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

...and yet others revel in conspiracy theories.

There is a guy at work that is one of those(big time), a coworker said if anyone took a blade and made a small cut on him, spiders would come out! He’s that kind of person!

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

There is a guy at work that is one of those(big time), a coworker said if anyone took a blade and made a small cut on him, spiders would come out! He’s that kind of person!

Revelation 13:17, KJV: "And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name."

I'm vaccinated, but I am absolutely not making the vaccine mandatory for my employees.  I've read more than one place that doing so would open up the floodgates for lawsuits.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out for IU, but I'm frankly a bit surprised they feel they can mandate vaccines.  We live in a different world than when Fouls and I were in grade school and IU turns out a lot of attorneys.

I know it's been said but public schools and universities (and places of employment and our military) require vaccination now and required them before COVID was a thing. Yet, nobody made a stink about it. 

IMO, it doesn't matter if college kids are lower risk because they can still get it, and still spread it, which presents a whole bunch of quarantining issues for the university and the people of the Bloomington community. A mandate will make a better student experience because they won't have to worry about classes or social functions getting spontaneously cancelled due to an outbreak. I know many who have complained about the COVID19 rules being imposed on IU students this past year; this is a way to get rid of those rules. 

I'll also add again that the vaccine is not brand new or "young". These types of vaccines have been studied for 30 years for other corona viruses and there has been no evidence that it presents any serious dangers in the short term of long term. This not to say say there are zero risks, but we take greater risks driving to work in a given day. The CDC director compared the vaccine to a stereo. The stereo was already made and tested, scientists just produced a new cassette tape to enter into the stereo. It's not like 100% of the vaccine was developed from scratch last spring and the human race are guinea pigs in an experiment. I repeat, this has been researched for decades

• Like 5

12 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I know it's been said but public schools and universities (and places of employment and our military) require vaccination now and required them before COVID was a thing. Yet, nobody made a stink about it. 

After grade school I have never had to present proof of vaccination. Not one single employer ive had has asked for proof of vaccination nor should they. 

IMO, it doesn't matter if college kids are lower risk because they can still get it, and still spread it, which presents a whole bunch of quarantining issues for the university and the people of the Bloomington community. A mandate will make a better student experience because they won't have to worry about classes or social functions getting spontaneously cancelled due to an outbreak. I know many who have complained about the COVID19 rules being imposed on IU students this past year; this is a way to get rid of those rules. 

I'll also add again that the vaccine is not brand new or "young". These types of vaccines have been studied for 30 years for other corona viruses and there has been no evidence that it presents any serious dangers in the short term of long term. This not to say say there are zero risks, but we take greater risks driving to work in a given day. The CDC director compared the vaccine to a stereo. The stereo was already made and tested, scientists just produced a new cassette tape to enter into the stereo. It's not like 100% of the vaccine was developed from scratch last spring and the human race are guinea pigs in an experiment. I repeat, this has been researched for decades

Most of the vaccines that we all have been required to get (me included) are ass to mouth viruses or viruses transmitted through bodily fluids. 

You are correct that these vaccines have been thoroughly researched but at no point has their been a successful vaccine for a respiratory virus. Maybe Covid will be different but probably not. 

On 5/23/2021 at 10:11 PM, mrflynn03 said:

So is IU going to tell the companies they have contracts with to complete their construction projects to force their employees to be vaccinated?  Or keep people off the public sidewalks and streets?

What if they do?  What is the big deal?  I have worked for the gov't on several projects as a "private contractor."  Several of those I had to produce my birth certificate.  I also have worked for private companies where background checks were done.  The way I see it is a terrible virus has swept through this country(and the rest of the world) and some are up in arms about getting a vaccine?  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

The point I'm making is that even if you weren't required to show proof of vaccination there are employers and even states that require vaccination in certain settings (note, these are flu vaccines, thus, not ass to mouth). And before COVID, nobody was crying about law suits or loss of liberties or governmental control. This leads me to believe that the rational of some to refuse vaccination is purely political. The shear act of rebellion or "not being told what to do" just for the sake of "not being told what to do" is trumping the benefit to one's self, to other's around them and to our economy. My neighbor and good friend told me directly that his choice not to get one is purely an act of principle and not about health. Deep down I just find that messed up and the epitome of stubbornness. Some may agree with my neighbor, but I'm not sure I can ever understand that rationale. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

The point I'm making is that even if you weren't required to show proof of vaccination there are employers and even states that require vaccination in certain settings (note, these are flu vaccines, thus, not ass to mouth). And before COVID, nobody was crying about law suits or loss of liberties or governmental control. This leads me to believe that the rational of some to refuse vaccination is purely political. The shear act of rebellion or "not being told what to do" just for the sake of "not being told what to do" is trumping the benefit to one's self, to other's around them and to our economy. My neighbor and good friend told me directly that his choice not to get one is purely an act of principle and not about health. Deep down I just find that messed up and the epitome of stubbornness. Some may agree with my neighbor, but I'm not sure I can ever understand that rationale. 

Simply mind boggling aint it?  At least it is to me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Well said and you summed up what those I know that refuse the vaccine are saying as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Were all your words carefully chosen?  :coffee:

• Like 1