IU and Vaccine

4 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Last I checked, that did not make up such a large % of the population. I'm not in favor of disenfranchising 1% but 20-30% is another story. 

I'm not sure that I understand your point.  But, If I do, I have the following follow-up questions?

• Why are 99%+ of the population perfectly comfortable receiving the measles vaccine, but 30%+ want nothing to do with the Covid vaccine.  They are both highly infectious diseases.
  • Being 'disenfranchised' is part of life when you have laws and rules. 
    • I'm not allowed to drive 120 mph on the interstate in Indiana
    • I'm not allowed to vote in Kentucky even though I work there 5 days a week.
    • I'm not allowed to swim naked in my neighbor's pool without an invitation to do so.
    • I'm not eligible to be nominated for homecoming King or Queen at the local high school
    • I'm not allowed to hunt deer when they are not in season

Just because I exist and am my own human being does not give me a right to do the things I've listed above.  Requiring a vaccine is no different.  It does not discriminate against a protected segment of the population.  It's a rule/law that applies to EVERYONE.  That is not 'disenfranchising'. 

• Like 2

I highly doubt the measles vaccine had 99% participation within 6 months of adoption.  I'd imagine this vaccine will get there but it will take time. Let it get perfected. I just don't see a need to mandate something that would alienate many taxpayers.  

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Bottom line is that we all have a right to decide whether or not to get the vaccine.  By the same token, IU has the right to require it.  And, they can do so whether we like it or not.  

True. And they will probably get sued as a result. The American way...

The R naught values are important, imho, when it comes to requiring vaccination.  @HoosierFaithfulhad a very good post in response to one of mine when I brought up R values. 

I was corrected, through most of the pandemic, Covid R values were if I remember 1.1-1.4. I used current R value which is <1. 

Look up the values for MMR,TB well above 1.  Those viruses have been around for decades and their R naught values are 2-3 times higher. 

Maybe Covid ends up being like that, but I believe it will become endemic and part of the seasonal flu season, just like Spanish flu, Asian Flu,Hong Kong flu, Swine flu ect....

At this point I just dont think vaccination should be a condition of enrollment or employment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What's really nice.. 

We all have a fairly close opinion.. that makes up 98% of the US. The other 2% (one on each side) are the ones with the voices. It's unfortunate. 

I think its fairly easy to see what side of the aisle I vote for, but it's simply an economic thing.. (mostly) and I can understand stand why people vote the opposite, and I respect that (or honestly try). That's simply life and perfectly fine by me. Good people here. Go Hoosiers. 

Its unfortunate what most of social media has turned into. Every blowhard has a platform now.  Noise pollution and information overload is our new reality. Most people are easily susceptible to propaganda and subliminal messaging...with the exception of HSN members.  Purdoo grads are a lost cause. Well most of them😉

Relating the above with covid and vaccination, its difficult for the average person to know what to trust or believe.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Inequality said:

ECCE1C1E-15FE-4447-946E-66CC1B38515E.jpeg

Talk about a pathetic attempt to score political points. The general assembly wrote this law to include a 'state or local unit' (the verbiage does not say public institutions). According to the article linked below IU is considered an educational institution under Indiana law, therefore, does not apply. You’d think the Attorney General would know this. Even the co-author of this bill contradicts the AG’s statement. She said she purposely left colleges out of the law and “even double checked”.

Way to get a bunch of people worked up over your deliberately false post that holds no legal merit Mr. Attorney General. Bravo. 👏

Also, I’m no legal scholar, but didn’t IU put this mandate in place before the law was passed? So even if this law was written to include educational institutions (again, which it does not), wouldn’t it be considered ex post facto? Honest question I don't know the answer to.

https://fox59.com/indianapolitics/what-does-indianas-new-vaccine-passport-law-do/?fbclid=IwAR1gZhaY0oKIv-XBipFhpFUNAEhT7ugBpDlt1VF60N-qCi7Z4F693BL4OoY

Edited by tdhoosier

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Well, that makes the "requirement" pretty toothless.  Not surprising they are backing up on this, to be honest.

I look at it this way for the most part:

The only people that should be concerned about somebody not being vaccinated is people that aren't vaccinated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

I look at it this way for the most part:

The only people that should be concerned about somebody not being vaccinated is people that aren't vaccinated.

...or haven't yet acquired natural immunity.

Either way, solid point.  I'm vaccinated and behaving reasonably.  I'm not much concerned about others at this point.