IU and Vaccine

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Do I need to.have all my son's teachers tested because most students won't be affected by Covid  but my son would be. As a teacher you don't feel an obligation to those parents that trust you with their kids. 

My job is to educate. I should not have to inject anything in my body if I choose not to. I am a perfectly healthy 30 year old with zero risk factors.

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

This. I never understood why everyone else's health was my responsibility. I wanted my parents to get the vaccine, and they did. They're at risk. I am not, and I don't make it a habit of putting things in my body that I don't gain anything from.  

As far as IU goes.. I think it's a pretty ridiculous requirement. I assumed IU was part of the my body, my choice crowd. 

If this does continue, I hope IU is sued for discrimination. 

Honest question.  Covid aside, if you and your future wife decide to have children, will you have them get the standard vaccinations recommended/required for public school.

Just now, btownqb said:

My job is to educate. I should not have to inject anything in my body if I choose not to. I am a perfectly healthy 30 year old with zero risk factors.

It's a lot more than to educate. Teachers are the most under paid profession in the country so if you job is to JUST educate then my friend you are overpaid. You will have more impact on some of these kids than  their own parents. 

• Like 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

Honest question.  Covid aside, if you and your future wife decide to have children, will you have them get the standard vaccinations recommended/required for public school.

Yes lol

They are AT RISK for polio, measles, etc. Unless someone can show me they are at risk for Covid... we aren't getting it. Again.. I asked my parents to get it, and legitimately wanted them to get the shot, especially my dad. But I cannot understand why someone that is NOT AT RISK would need to get the vaccine.

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

It's a lot more than to educate. Teachers are the most under paid profession in the country so if you job is to JUST educate then my friend you are overpaid. You will have more impact on some of these kids than  their own parents. 

I understand all that. But, at the root of my job is to educate. I educate on life, school work, etc. I bring information/examples to them and they do with them what they wish.

But I still do not understand why I need to put something in my body that I do not need.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I understand all that. But, at the root of my job is to educate. I educate on life, school work, etc. I bring information/examples to them and they do with them what they wish.

But I still do not understand why I need to put something in my body that I do not need.

I never said you need too. I am saying that if your employer or.govt says you do then I see no.issue with it. Currently it's a choice and I am.fine with that or fine with it being mandated. Make no mistake our actions do have significant consequences to those around us

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I never said you need too. I am saying that if your employer or.govt says you do then I see no.issue with it. Currently it's a choice and I am.fine with that or fine with it being mandated. Make no mistake our actions do have significant consequences to those around us

Yeah I don't trust employers or the government, especially the government. I think it's 100% immoral to mandate that.

I take precautions to avoid others actions from affecting me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Is your son able to get the vaccine? Legitimately asking. No underlying reason to my curiosity, truthfully just don't know.

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There is not nearly enough information out about this vaccine and you guys know it. Asking a 19 year old female to get a vaccine when she doesn't know the effects it might have later on in regards to child birth is borderline disgusting, to me.

That's just simply not true.  If you want to believe that, it's up to you, but everyone in here (me included) has their mindset entirely baked in on this matter, so I'm not sure why we keep trying to argue with one another.  I just try to post information, but if people don't agree with me, I understand entirely why.  Somehow along the way, we seemed to lose our faith in scientists, which makes me really sad.  The scientific community is speaking with one overwhelming voice and it isn't saying anything remotely aligned with what people are posting here.

This is a vaccine that has existed, more or less, for 30 years.  We developed it "uber quickly" because 1) we already had it made pretty much and 2) instead of working on production and other time-intensive processes sequentially (e.g. one after another), we worked on them in a parallel timeline.  It was massively costly, which is why we normally don't do so, but in this instance, it was a no brainer.  

IU is gonna do what they are gonna do.  If you're upset, email a Trustee.  But to throw out a pure hypothetical such as "what if it stops a woman from getting pregnant later!" is just a giant strawman, IMO.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HoosierFaithful said:

That's just simply not true.  If you want to believe that, it's up to you, but everyone in here (me included) has their mindset entirely baked in on this matter, so I'm not sure why we keep trying to argue with one another.  I just try to post information, but if people don't agree with me, I understand entirely why.  Somehow along the way, we seemed to lose our faith in scientists, which makes me really sad.  The scientific community is speaking with one overwhelming voice and it isn't saying anything remotely aligned with what people are posting here.

This is a vaccine that has existed, more or less, for 30 years.  We developed it "uber quickly" because 1) we already had it made pretty much and 2) instead of working on production and other time-intensive processes sequentially (e.g. one after another), we worked on them in a parallel timeline.  It was massively costly, which is why we normally don't do so, but in this instance, it was a no brainer.  

IU is gonna do what they are gonna do.  If you're upset, email a Trustee.  But to throw out a pure hypothetical such as "what if it stops a woman from getting pregnant later!" is just a giant strawman, IMO.

I wish this applied to everything in life/popular topics in the world.

To require someone to get a vaccine, to a disease that they aren't at risk for, is bat s*** CRAZY to me. Upset? Naww.. not nearly. I was upset I couldn't attend a baseball game all spring long, though.

Why can't those of you that want the vaccine.. just get the vaccine? Why does it matter if I am? 

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Is your son able to get the vaccine? Legitimately asking. No underlying reason to my curiosity, truthfully just don't know.

Yes he got it 8am the 1st day it became available for his age group and will get second dose June 3rd. For us it has lifted some amount of weight off shoulders obviously as a parent not all of it

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, btownqb said:

To require someone to get a vaccine, to a disease that they aren't at risk for, is bat s*** CRAZY to me. Upset? Naww.. not nearly. I was upset I couldn't attend a baseball game all spring long, though.

Why can't those of you that want the vaccine.. just get the vaccine? Why does it matter if I am? 

because this is a collective action problem, and your actions can impact others.

I know for some that doesn't matter, and that's their viewpoint to hold, but it's not a viewpoint that many others share and it's not one IU seems to share either.

It isn't a terribly complex fact that COVID is spread from human to human.  And despite the fact that young people are at a lower risk to die or have serious complications from COVID, they're just at risk (if not even more at risk!) to spread it.  The r-naught doesn't give a crap how old you are.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't want you to get sick.  And that goes for any of my friends.  And you sir, are my friend.

5 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

because this is a collective action problem, and your actions can impact others.

I know for some that doesn't matter, and that's their viewpoint to hold, but it's not a viewpoint that many others share and it's not one IU seems to share either.

It isn't a terribly complex fact that COVID is spread from human to human.  And despite the fact that young people are at a lower risk to die or have serious complications from COVID, they're just at risk (if not even more at risk!) to spread it.  The r-naught doesn't give a crap how old you are.  

But.. if you vaccinated.... what does it matter? That is what I'm saying. You get the vaccine. I cannot give it to you because... .you are vaccinated. So... why do I need to be vaccinated?

You take care of yourself the way you feel best, I will do the same for me.

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I equate this to: "why should I vote?" "My individual vote won't make a difference."

However, if you vote and get others to vote....it can make a difference. I know there's an argument about anti-collectivism going on here, but a democratic election is a form of collectivism. You do your part to play a role in the outcome. The more people who participate the better and more representative the outcome. 

Honest question, do you not agree with this statement: The more people who get the vaccine, the better off our nation will be from a health and economical standpoint and the quicker we will recover?

Or is that theory inaccurate? 

I ask because individually you may be at a low risk for severe illness, but collectively millions of others share that same belief. Tens of millions of vulnerable hosts walking around is like leaving the door cracked open when you can shut it. It's leaving the door open for more possible outbreaks and increases the chances of allowing the virus to mutate into something that is resistant to the vaccine we have.

Individually it may not matter, but collectively it does. I've never viewed my choice to get the vaccine as an individual decision, but that's just me. I stayed careful, wore masks, and stayed away from large gatherings because that was the advice of infectious disease scientists who are smarter than me. I was not concerned about getting the virus myself as I was concerned about having it and contributing the spread. I felt my caution was a responsibility. 

I'm not saying that I'm right or wrong, but just sharing how I view this whole thing in an effort for you to better understand where I, or others like myself, are coming from. My reply doesn't come from a place of judgement of criticism; it's just that I want this f'ing virus to go away as quickly as possible and I believe vaccination is how we do that. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But.. if you vaccinated.... what does it matter? That is what I'm saying. You get the vaccine. I cannot give it to you because... .you are vaccinated. So... why do I need to be vaccinated?

You take care of yourself the way you feel best, I will do the same for me.

That's fine, and you're entitled to feel that way, but many others don't agree and institutions like IU don't seem to either.

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I equate this to: "why should I vote?" "My individual vote won't make a difference."

However, if you vote and get others to vote....it can make a difference. I know there's an argument about anti-collectivism going on here, but a democratic election is a form of collectivism. You do your part to play a role in the outcome. The more people who participate the better and more representative the outcome. 

Honest question, do you not agree with this statement: The more people who get the vaccine, the better off our nation will be from a health and economical standpoint and the quicker we will recover?

Or is that theory inaccurate? 

I ask because individually you may be at a low risk for severe illness, but collectively millions of others share that same belief. Tens of millions of vulnerable hosts walking around is like leaving the door cracked open when you can shut it. It's leaving the door open for more possible outbreaks and increases the chances of allowing the virus to mutate into something that is resistant to the vaccine we have.

Individually it may not matter, but collectively it does. I've never viewed my choice to get the vaccine as an individual decision, but that's just me. I stayed careful, wore masks, and stayed away from large gatherings because that was the advice of infectious disease scientists who are smarter than me. I was not concerned about getting the virus myself as I was concerned about having it and contributing the spread. I felt my caution was a responsibility. 

I'm not saying that I'm right or wrong, but just sharing how I view this whole thing in an effort for you to better understand where I, or others like myself, are coming from. My reply doesn't come from a place of judgement of criticism; it's just that I want this f'ing virus to go away as quickly as possible and I believe vaccination is how we do that. 

That's all fair and I understand that. I am not just going to blindly trust scientist. I just won't. I don't blindly trust anything. Until we see more from the vaccine, we aren't touching it. Period.  

I followed every regulation sent my way during the height of this thing. I missed Xmas and a birthday celebration (my own lol on Dec 22nd) because I had Covid. I wore my mask during basketball games that I coached, I wore my mask in the halls at school, I wore my mask when I was within 6ft of students at my classroom.

There is zero hospitalizations in the county I grew up in now. Jackson County. I think my health is my responsibility.. and no one else's and I'm not going to back down from that. I don't feel your health is my job, I'm sorry, but I don't. My fiance, my dogs, when I have kids.. those are my responsibility.

None of you have explained to me yet... if Person A gets the vaccine, why does Person B need to worry about getting the vaccine? And if the answer to that is Person C could get it, my reply would be then Person C needs to get the vaccine if they're worried.

3 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

and again, it matters if people don't get vaccinated because we are in an existential race against time for a variant that is vaccine-resistant.

So... why isn't Canada, Japan... and the other 1st world countries more worried?

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

None of you have explained to me yet... if Person A gets the vaccine, why does Person B need to worry about getting the vaccine? And if the answer to that is Person C could get it, my reply would be then Person C needs to get the vaccine if they're worried.

1. My kids in this scenario are person C and aren’t old enough to get it.

2. In order for a virus to mutate it needs a host. Nature finds a way and the virus will try to find a way to mutate, but it can only mutate in a host without antibodies. Decreasing the number of hosts decreases the chance of the virus mutating into a strain that is resistant to the vaccines we have. 

3. Person B may get it and spread it to their co-workers (person C,D,E and F), which can force a disruption in that companies production. This has been happening on and off with my suppliers and is causing me and my customers huge head aches. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So... why isn't Canada, Japan... and the other 1st world countries more worried?

Japan is talking about cancelling the olympics again. Think they’re not worried? 

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

1. My kids in this scenario are person C and aren’t old enough to get it.

2. In order for a virus to mutate it needs a host. Nature finds a way and the virus will try to find a way to mutate, but it can only mutate in a host without antibodies. Decreasing the number of hosts decreases the chance of the virus mutating into a strain that is resistant to the vaccines we have. 

3. Person B may get it and spread it to their co-workers (person C,D,E and F), which can force a disruption in that companies production. This has been happening on and off with my suppliers and is causing me and my customers huge head aches. 

Japan is talking about cancelling the olympics again. Think they’re not worried? 

What are the ages that can get the vaccine now?

I think companies are a different discussion than a public university. I also don't think companies should have to give people weeks off for maternity leave lol but that's a different discussion.