Candy stripe origination story

20 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Many of you know this but variations of the story have been told.  Here it is straight from IU.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/did-you-know-indianas-iconic-candy-stripes-didnt-originate-in-the-basketball-program/

Great story....a little bit of history every IU fan would love to have! Thank you! The detail you go to in every story you post on your site is why it is A+ work. Its a pleasure to read. Give those that taught you your writing my compliments! I encourage everyone that doesn't subscribe to do so. Everything you do is well done...you don't half @ss anything over there. In a world of lazy and dishonest journalism you sir get my tip of the hat! 🤠

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Great story....a little bit of history every IU fan would love to have! Thank you! The detail you go to in every story you post on your site is why it is A+ work. Its a pleasure to read. Give those that taught you your writing my compliments! I encourage everyone that doesn't subscribe to do so. Everything you do is well done...you don't half @ss anything over there. In a world of lazy and dishonest journalism you sir get my tip of the hat! 🤠

You are way too kind.  Thank you.

20 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

You are way too kind.  Thank you.

No...honestly the attention to your work over there is unique. It's well done and should be commended. It doesn't hurt the topic is one that we all love but I get the feeling that if you were writing about anything it would be just as quality. I'm trying my best to compliment more and be slow to criticize in an effort to make things a little more positive around me in this difficult current environment. I think if we all do that a little bit more when it is deserved...well who knows...but it can't hurt! Keep up the good work Mike! You and all those that work with you.

• Like 2

I had no idea of the origin, but that article makes perfect sense - Doc Counsilman was an innovator and way ahead of his time.  I was told in the mid-70's that some of his training techniques were adopted by coach Knight (a relative who has no direct connection to IU told me, so IDK if it's true).

On a semi-related note, several years ago I found out about the origins of "Indiana, our Indiana" - kind of disappointed that the music was not original.  You'd think with such a distinguished school of music that someone would have composed it specifically for the school.

Edited by Zuckerkorn
  • Like 1