General College Basketball News (Stories Undeserving Of Their Own Topic)

30 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Death, taxes, and the Illini being obsessed by Indiana basketball.  

They are almost more obsessed with IU then Turdue is. You can go on a Toiletmaker forum and there is usually 3 or 4 post on the front page with something about the Hoosiers in the title.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

BGleas!!  Call for Mr. BGleas!!   😊

Haha! Yeah, I called this during IU's search that Stevens would be more likely to take over for Ainge then come back to coach college. The part I'm shocked about is that it happened so soon and that he's not coaching anymore. 

Ainge built a really great bball ops department, so I thought Stevens would be in a Popovich role where the front office runs on an engine and he remains the coach while making the big decisions.

I'm surprised Stevens is stepping away from coaching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It definitely seems to explain some of the information when BS was rumored to be the taking the IU job, but then had that weird Masshole press conference.  Maybe he was ready to take the IU job, but was then promised the front office job to keep him with Celts.

Regardless, I am happy with Woodson so far.  And I am surprised to see BS leave coaching. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Haha! Yeah, I called this during IU's search that Stevens would be more likely to take over for Ainge then come back to coach college. The part I'm shocked about is that it happened so soon and that he's not coaching anymore. 

Ainge built a really great bball ops department, so I thought Stevens would be in a Popovich role where the front office runs on an engine and he remains the coach while making the big decisions.

I'm surprised Stevens is stepping away from coaching.

Nice call, sir.  You nailed this one most definitely.   😊

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

John Beilein winds up in "Player Development" role with Pistons...

I would have thought he would have either returned to a head coaching gig or stayed as an analyst on the BTN...

Maybe there wasn't a HC gig out there that he was interested in?  He is in a position where he can pick and choose.  Although if I were him I would pick fishing.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rico said:

Maybe there wasn't a HC gig out there that he was interested in?  He is in a position where he can pick and choose.  Although if I were him I would pick fishing.

Maybe not...But the BTN gig was a good one, and once he got his rambles out of the way he provided solid insight...

Plus, he's got a bit of a "rep" in the NBA already, no?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

John Beilein winds up in "Player Development" role with Pistons...

I would have thought he would have either returned to a head coaching gig or stayed as an analyst on the BTN...

Really weird timeline for him. Works his entire life to not be the overlooked mid major success guy....works his way up and is widely regarded as one of the best in his profession. Jumps at the NBA 2 years ago and downhill ever since. 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know where to post this and couldn't find it f we already started an 'NIL' thread. 

Anyway, Hoosier Hysterics has a good interview with the CEO of Opendorse, a new company who is working/consulting IU about the NIL. The way I understand it, this company sets up a program that connects our athletes with companies looking for endorsements. The example given was: an athlete will get a message "Pepsi wants you to send out this tweet out for $1,000" (a pre-made tweet will be ready for them)....click 'yes' or 'no'. For the advertisers the company also establishes a 'market value' per athlete (which is kind of like a Zestimate on Zillow), demographics they appeal to, etc. Some atheltes won't be offered $1k and some won't be contacted by Pepsi, but they do have a value (high or low) that they will financially benefit from.

It was an interesting listen, mainly because you begin realize how many opportunities could be available to so many athletes when the NIL becomes reality. This is going to go so far beyond 'a local car dealership paying a player for an endorsement.' This is going to be about athlete's cashing in on their influence, online presence, personality, style, etc. 

...talk about an education. (I'm not being facetious) Hands on, real world experience in college about branding, marketing, financial management, contract management, etc......for many athletes this won't be a 'case study'. I'm glad IU is leading the way on this and setting up a support system for current and future athletes. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1