General College Basketball News (Stories Undeserving Of Their Own Topic)

11 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

In this country we determine worth by what the free market is willing to pay. My understanding is that the black-market is already paying 6 figures, do you really doubt that schools won't pay that? Saying that the college name is needed is both true and beside the point: Kentucky makes a lot less money when they lose, so they pay to win. You wouldn't say that a Google programmer is given more credit for driving the money than they deserve, even though it's equally true that the Google name drives their money. The same is true here: if given the chance to bid freely, schools would pay for talent and schools would profit by doing so.

I think we talked past each other. 

Yes, the value is there IF the school is attached.  Which is what I said.  We have a clear cut case of their value without the school attached in the G League for all but the top 25 or so players each year.  And on average that is about $35k a year.

Someone used TJD as an example up above.  With Twitter followers and such he is worth about $120k a year.  However, without an Indiana University fanbase and hype machine around him, what is he worth if he was just playing for a team like the Mad Ants in Fort Wayne?  "He is the next big thing for the Pacers!!!"  Cool, ask Triple A baseball players what that ends up being worth.

My point was not that colleges would not be trying to pay guys or get them money through the NIL.  I believe that will happen, particularly with the NIL.  However, I think a bunch of people are in denial about the players' value when not attached to one of these big schools.  If you did away with the NCAA and had a minor league system like baseball, the Zion Williamsons of the world would go straight to the pros and guys like TJD would languish in a minor league system gaining little attention outside their small geographic footprint.

IU is the draw more than any one player because in college the players are not around long enough to be the draw, particularly the uber talented ones.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think we talked past each other. 

Yes, the value is there IF the school is attached.  Which is what I said.  We have a clear cut case of their value without the school attached in the G League for all but the top 25 or so players each year.  And on average that is about $35k a year.

Someone used TJD as an example up above.  With Twitter followers and such he is worth about $120k a year.  However, without an Indiana University fanbase and hype machine around him, what is he worth if he was just playing for a team like the Mad Ants in Fort Wayne?  "He is the next big thing for the Pacers!!!"  Cool, ask Triple A baseball players what that ends up being worth.

My point was not that colleges would not be trying to pay guys or get them money through the NIL.  I believe that will happen, particularly with the NIL.  However, I think a bunch of people are in denial about the players' value when not attached to one of these big schools.  If you did away with the NCAA and had a minor league system like baseball, the Zion Williamsons of the world would go straight to the pros and guys like TJD would languish in a minor league system gaining little attention outside their small geographic footprint.

IU is the draw more than any one player because in college the players are not around long enough to be the draw, particularly the uber talented ones.  

I absolutely agree with you - from a financial standpoint, there is no viable alternative for a player, even a star, that isn't ready for the NBA.

My point is, I don't think that's terribly relevant to a discussion of what a player deserves and/or will end up getting. If schools could bid on players (I doubt we will see that ever happen) IU would probably pay TJD 7 figures. If the free market were allowed to operate, he would get that.  

On 6/21/2021 at 10:49 AM, dbmhoosier said:

I emailed Dolson this afternoon. Asked him will IU be letting know interested people/business owners what we can and can't do because the schools/conferences get this thing right early on will have a jump on the competition. Really hope BTN has a plan in place to advertise Big 10 players. I know other conferences will.

I want IU way out in front of this and if it means I donate to a certain player to advertise my business or whatever the case might be....I want to know how we go about doing that right away. Whole new world coming. At least this way we know it's semi above board.

One other thing I thought about this week. Might have some good come along with this. Let's say you have a kid who is a junior in either football or hoops. Borderline draft pick. Could the kid decide to come back to college and get the guarantees of $ that a large fanbase could provide instead of going the undrafted route and hope he gets signed at some point? Thinking a guy like Troy Williams. He's made some nice $ but there might not be the rush to the $ if he knows he can sell and earn from his NIL while still on a big stage.

Really fascinating times we are headed in. I just want to make sure Dolson/IU are doing everything possible to be the lead dog. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Looks like Penny Hardaway might get the Orlando job

It's so interesting people talk about how much higher level the NBA is than college (and it is) and Quinn Snyder was a fairly mediocre coach at Missouri and has done a heck of a job with the jazz it doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Do pros make it easier to coach high level ball because they are so much higher level?

In my mind I would think it would be more difficult to coach college ball because you have to teach them so many different new things but maybe I'm giving them too much credit. Basketball is basketball. Move the ball, hit shots, play good team defense, block out and rebound. Keep it simple stupid. Johnny's and Joe's over x's and o's.

49 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It's so interesting people talk about how much higher level the NBA is than college (and it is) and Quinn Snyder was a fairly mediocre coach at Missouri and has done a heck of a job with the jazz it doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Do pros make it easier to coach high level ball because they are so much higher level?

In my mind I would think it would be more difficult to coach college ball because you have to teach them so many different new things but maybe I'm giving them too much credit. Basketball is basketball. Move the ball, hit shots, play good team defense, block out and rebound. Keep it simple stupid. Johnny's and Joe's over x's and o's.

JMHO...

Quin was a fine CBB HC.  He replaced a legend and started off on fire.  Then got caught up in some violations and what not.  He is extremely intelligent.

That being said, successful CBB coaches seem to fail when they get to the next level.

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Why on earth does a pro franchise think Penny can coach when he really couldn't coach at the college level?  Will be a lucky day for Memphis if he makes the jump.

The only reason I can think of that they are considering him is that it would generate a lot of excitement in the fanbase and help ticket and merchandise sales. 🤷‍♂️

It can't be for his coaching prowess that is for sure lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I guess Larry Brown won't be talking to coach Woodson any longer.  Wonder if IU ever offered Brown a job or did we not want to go that route due to his problems with the NCAA

Good points.  TBH, if I was the coach of any team I would be leery about having Larry on my staff.  Helluva coach that seems to have a propensity for disregarding the rules.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, rico said:

Good points.  TBH, if I was the coach of any team I would be leery about having Larry on my staff.  Helluva coach that seems to have a propensity for disregarding the rules.

Yeah when I first heard that Brown was joining Hardaway, I was a bit disappointed that he wouldn't be available for helping CMW.  Then I remembered my concerns when he was talked about as a potential assistant - problems with compliance everywhere he went, and his age.  Still, he's a basketball genius but I think we'll be OK with him there and not here.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Random Rant

A top recruit announced his Top 8 (some are not even colleges) last Friday and there are sites that want you to subscribe and pay for the information even today. It doesn't make sense.

You can do a quick search and find the same information in seconds. Still, some of these scouting gurus have the audacity to charge you for the privilege of reading what they typed... or in some cases what they copied and pasted. 

I'm not opposed to people wasting their money. That's their right. But haven't we learned by now that there is no information made available by any of the so called experts, with their keen insights and connections, that cannot be found for free. Even when a kid announces his actual selection you can get that information at the same time or within seconds of the announcement for free. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

New Valpo nickname.  I guess you could say they are 'a shining light amidst the sleaze of college athletics.'

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31998658/valparaiso-univ-chooses-shun-name-embraced-hate-groups

Well, they're right up there on the lake and get a lot of lake effect snow during basketball season...I would have gone with The Snowflakes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, 5fouls said:

New Valpo nickname.  I guess you could say they are 'a shining light amidst the sleaze of college athletics.'

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31998658/valparaiso-univ-chooses-shun-name-embraced-hate-groups

I got a couple of dear friends that work at VU.  All I can say is that they aren't pleased.