General College Basketball News (Stories Undeserving Of Their Own Topic)

Oh, the names I collected during my banking career...

Harry Tewell

Uneda Peter

Harden Long

Ima Hoar

an entire family of Dicks

...and the show stopper...a catholic priest named Father Firmus Dick. I 💩 you not:

https://obits.courierpress.com/us/obituaries/courierpress/name/firmus-dick-obituary?pid=138630772

Father Firmus was much beloved locally.  Seemed like a genuinely good guy.  You just wonder what parents are thinking sometimes.

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Martinsville has a Richard Lipps

There was a Don Lipps that was the freshman basketball coach back in 74 who eventually ascended to the AD chair but retired back in 2016...not that some of the athletes didn't replace "Don" with "Richard" on occasion 😁

Back in the day I worked with an air traffic controller named Richard Burns...controllers use operating initials to communicate on landlines...my suggestion for his were "VD." 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There was a Don Lipps that was the freshman basketball coach back in 74 who eventually ascended to the AD chair but retired back in 2016...not that some of the athletes didn't replace "Don" with "Richard" on occasion 😁

Back in the day I worked with an air traffic controller named Richard Burns...controllers use operating initials to communicate on landlines...my suggestion for his were "VD." 

I bet it was the same guy. My roommates may have changed his name for the story. He was their PE teacher late 80,s early 90's

• Like 1

Wasn't there a mayor of Muncie named Harry Balz?  If I recall correctly, they had a contest a few years ago to name some new building and he was the hands-down winning name, but ignored the voting and went with another name.

Regarding the Lipps name, I worked a guy at Carrier named Pherman Lipps - he was a big UK fan and we never saw eye-to-eye on anything.

EDIT: It was in Fort Wayne and the man's name was Baals

harrybaals_width_600x-1.jpg

Edited by Zuckerkorn
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Mark Few facing DUI charge.. swept under the rug, cost him his job, or somewhere in between? 

Somewhere in between but closer to being swept under the rug than getting fired. Several game suspension is my guess. Of course, their non-conference schedule is tougher than their conference schedule so an early season suspension could hurt them more than it typically does for P5 schools and could ultimately affect their NCAA seed.

10 hours ago, ledies22 said:

And an apology 

wasn’t there a day where that was a fireable offense or was that just partially how to get rid of someone not quite living up to expectations/standards as an out and to save money? 

It very well might be in violation of Few's contract and an incident that could cause termination.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

It very well might be in violation of Few's contract and an incident that could cause termination.  

Do you really believe they would fire Few though?

I think that would put them.in Marquette territory when Al McGuire retired...from being a legitimate national power house that could win it all, back to just another good program... 

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think that would put them.in Marquette territory when Al McGuire retired...from being a legitimate national power house that could win it all, back to just another good program... 

No, I don't think they would fire him.

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I would like to add that Few isn't really a media darling.  He has made some statements in the past on various topics that the sportswriters sensationalized.  With that being said, it wouldn't be ridiculous to assume that there is gonna be some "witch hunting" going on here.  Basically looking for skeletons in Mark's closet.  For all I know Few might have a major drinking problem...

• Like 1