General College Basketball News (Stories Undeserving Of Their Own Topic)

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

People can believe what they want...

I personally believe this about as much I I do him saying he delivered food via DoorDash for the fun of it...

In this article he even says...

"I don't know if ESPN is going to have me back. I assume they won't," Dakich said on his show. "Who cares? Who cares man?"

As someone who listens everyday after the whole Twitter issue he knew his contract would not be renewed.  He said that several times on air. He also said several times that he did not liked getting bumped for big games and there were several people that he did not want to work with. Not really a mutual separation but he never said he would have a new contract. He kept saying all along if i.do.i do and.if.i don't I dont 

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not really a mutual separation

"I’m not going to do games at ESPN and that was as much my choice as their choice,"

Sure makes it sound mutual to me...

If they didn't offer him a contract, what "choice" did he have?

There have been times I've listened to him and enjoyed his commentary...other times I haven't. I hated it when he did IU games because he wanted to avoid showing bias by crapping on all things IU in my estimation. I've listened to his radio show once, when he interviewed Dane Fife...but he strikes me as one of those guys that likes to say controversial things to attract listeners...and it seems to have come back to bite him...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

"I’m not going to do games at ESPN and that was as much my choice as their choice,"

Sure makes it sound mutual to me...

If they didn't offer him a contract, what "choice" did he have?

There have been times I've listened to him and enjoyed his commentary...other times I haven't. I hated it when he did IU games because he wanted to avoid showing bias by crapping on all things IU in my estimation. I've listened to his radio show once, when he interviewed Dane Fife...but he strikes me as one of those guys that likes to say controversial things to attract listeners...and it seems to have come back to bite him...

Yes it was not his choice after the Twitter issue.  Was the quote from an interview they did with him or excerpts from his show? 

Of course he is controversial it sells. Do you believe Howard Stern believes everything he says? He is highest paid best ratings of anyone on the radio. It's a character.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yes it was not his choice after the Twitter issue.  Was the quote from an interview they did with him or excerpts from his show? 

Of course he is controversial it sells. Do you believe Howard Stern believes everything he says? He is highest paid best ratings of anyone on the radio. It's a character.

The quote was from the Indy Star interview I linked in the initial post...

I understand the Howard Stern phenomenon...just not especially fond of it in sports...you see it on ESPN all the time...and for someone who has talent, which I do think Dakich has, I think it's a waste...in today's society it can end a career too...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The quote was from the Indy Star interview I linked in the initial post...

I understand the Howard Stern phenomenon...just not especially fond of it in sports...you see it on ESPN all the time...and for someone who has talent, which I do think Dakich has, I think it's a waste...in today's society it can end a career 

I really do not think the Star interviewed him, that's my point they pulled info from his show and quoted it. Like me saying, "I never ever eat red meat unless it's cooked Medium"

The Star coukd then quote me saying "I never ever eat red meat." While taking a bite of a steak. The comment was taken out of context. I listened prior to his contract not being renewed when he said what he did

57 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I really do not think the Star interviewed him, that's my point they pulled info from his show and quoted it. Like me saying, "I never ever eat red meat unless it's cooked Medium"

The Star coukd then quote me saying "I never ever eat red meat." While taking a bite of a steak. The comment was taken out of context. I listened prior to his contract not being renewed when he said what he did

You're correct. I went back and looked...

But the point remains, if ESPN decided not to offer him a contract, what "choice" did he have in the matter?

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

But the point remains, if ESPN decided not to offer him a contract, what "choice" did he have in the matter?

I agree with that but his quote was he told them he did not want to keep getting bumped and not want all.MAC games. Yes he was not going to get renewed anyway.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree with that but his quote was he told them he did not want to keep getting bumped and not want all.MAC games. Yes he was not going to get renewed anyway.

This article clears things up a bit.

https://draxe.com/Dakich/

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

It's a character and it works. 

With all due respect (and you know I do), that's like saying Donald Trump is a character and it works.  Sure it works for a segment of the population and maybe that's all he's after, but it's very polarizing/divisive and he knows that.  He knows when he's insulting the IU fanbase and it's pretty arrogant to think that all will be forgiven when he jumps to the next subject.  I don't care for a demeaning/insulting/disrespectful character in the sports and entertainment arena.  I put up with Coach Knight's lapses because (A) he had huge success and (B), at times he was really funny.  Dan is neither to me.  I also put up with it in a business or political arena if it's getting a job accomplished.  I've personally worked for and with some talented pricks that I didn't personally respect even though they accomplished a lot professionally.  Unfortunately, Dan is not Bob Knight no matter how much he wants to be.  He's not produced results as a coach and he's rarely ever funny to me. 

Maybe someday, he redeems himself in my eyes, but right now, all I see is a bitter jerk who can't hang on to his money and that's hard for me to like and respect.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

With all due respect (and you know I do), that's like saying Donald Trump is a character and it works.  Sure it works for a segment of the population and maybe that's all he's after, but it's very polarizing/divisive and he knows that.  He knows when he's insulting the IU fanbase and it's pretty arrogant to think that all will be forgiven when he jumps to the next subject.  I don't care for a demeaning/insulting/disrespectful character in the sports and entertainment arena.  I put up with Coach Knight's lapses because (A) he had huge success and (B), at times he was really funny.  Dan is neither to me.  I also put up with it in a business or political arena if it's getting a job accomplished.  I've personally worked for and with some talented pricks that I didn't personally respect even though they accomplished a lot professionally.  Unfortunately, Dan is not Bob Knight no matter how much he wants to be.  He's not produced results as a coach and he's rarely ever funny to me. 

Maybe someday, he redeems himself in my eyes, but right now, all I see is a bitter jerk who can't hang on to his money and that's hard for me to like and respect.

I understand your point of view completely but off the air it's a completely different story. His numbers show that it works and Emmis is willing to accept it. The last 10 articles from The star had a total of 51 comments and 12 shares.  His article that @IUFLA posted had 142 comments and 79 shares.  Like him or hate him he knows that character sells.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I get what you're saying but it can be mutual even if they didn't offer. Mutual means that neither side wanted it. Not mutual would mean that one side wanted it but was rejected by the other. Of course, we have only his word that he would've turned down an offer from them while definitely knowing they didn't offer. Only he knows if he's telling the truth or if it's an after the fact rejection like a child saying, "Fine! I didn't want to play with you anyways!"

2 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I get what you're saying but it can be mutual even if they didn't offer. Mutual means that neither side wanted it. Not mutual would mean that one side wanted it but was rejected by the other. Of course, we have only his word that he would've turned down an offer from them while definitely knowing they didn't offer. Only he knows if he's telling the truth or if it's an after the fact rejection like a child saying, "Fine! I didn't want to play with you anyways!"

Oh, I think it was definitely spin on Dakich's part...

On 9/20/2021 at 10:32 AM, IUFLA said:

Where's @IU/Butler/Notre Dame when we need him? 

On 9/20/2021 at 10:55 AM, Coach Robby said:

Deleting his Stetson message board accounts.

No seriously, I hope everything is okay here. I'm sure it is, but never know.

On 9/20/2021 at 11:16 AM, BDB said:

On his way to Stetson to pick up his son.

1. The on his way to Stetson one made me literally laugh out loud …well

played BDB

2. thanks for missing me IUFLA…well

sorta

3. coach Robby I never got on board with Stetson although I am pissed I got ESPN plus cause they televise all their games 

On 9/20/2021 at 6:28 PM, IUFLA said:

I mentioned him a page back hoping to get his attention and maybe some 811 (that talk in the other thread about geriatrics has me sharpening my skilz) 😉

Sorry I thought the brown narrative was dead here I’ve been golfing and landscaping with all my freed by brown arguing time