General College Basketball News (Stories Undeserving Of Their Own Topic)

On 9/28/2021 at 8:27 AM, Zlinedavid said:

Starting to look like my wife’s academic transcript. Both of her (current) degrees are through Northern Kentucky, but she’s taken classes and has credits from Eastern Kentucky and UK. I joke that she needs to get at least one class or certificate from WKU, just to complete the compass. 

Wait …and you married her 😳…like knowing about the kentucky attendance ?

Edited by IU/Butler/Notre Dame

12 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

1. The on his way to Stetson one made me literally laugh out loud …well

played BDB

2. thanks for missing me IUFLA…well

sorta

3. coach Robby I never got on board with Stetson although I am pissed I got ESPN plus cause they televise all their games 

Hey, we did miss you...Figured you'd have the inside story on why he left Stetson...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Hey, we did miss you...Figured you'd have the inside story on why he left Stetson...

I wasn’t there certainly but they’ve always been forthcoming with me in the past and it was described to me as a combination of two issues :  1. He got down there and truly didn’t like being away from home 2. They did a media session with him and made a video and posted it and of course he had quite a bit of hype ( deserved or not ) coming in and the two kids who were returning having one freshman conference player of the year and the fifth year senior didn’t seem to be fans.  Nothing negative was said about those kids but the impression I took was he was definitely not made to feel welcome.   I think he felt like with those two things combined he had people that liked him at ball state and it was right in his back door and certainly wasn’t worse than a lateral move in competition.

there is a poster here who knows josh smith from Monrovia well he would have good input because I’m only getting one side of the story 

• Thanks 3

17 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Wait …and you married her 😳…like knowing about the kentucky attendance ?

Half my household income comes from the evil blue organization, and both my kids were born there. 

“Lo, though I walk through the valley of the blue shadow of corruption, I shall fear no evil, for IU art with me. Thy cream and thy crimson comfort me.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I wasn’t there certainly but they’ve always been forthcoming with me in the past and it was described to me as a combination of two issues :  1. He got down there and truly didn’t like being away from home 2. They did a media session with him and made a video and posted it and of course he had quite a bit of hype ( deserved or not ) coming in and the two kids who were returning having one freshman conference player of the year and the fifth year senior didn’t seem to be fans.  Nothing negative was said about those kids but the impression I took was he was definitely not made to feel welcome.   I think he felt like with those two things combined he had people that liked him at ball state and it was right in his back door and certainly wasn’t worse than a lateral move in competition.

there is a poster here who knows josh smith from Monrovia well he would have good input because I’m only getting one side of the story 

Appreciate the insight.  I could see that happening, although I would have respected him a bit more for sticking it out a year and seeing if he could make it work.  I mean...the 5th year senior would be gone after that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Appreciate the insight.  I could see that happening, although I would have respected him a bit more for sticking it out a year and seeing if he could make it work.  I mean...the 5th year senior would be gone after that.

Half of me really agrees with you because I think “ oh great one more thing for detractors to complain about “ but at the same time the other half of me is glad he didn’t waste a year of eligibility if it wasn’t a good situation.  The other kid would have been gone but I don’t think minutes were the issue I think it was somewhat a foregone conclusion he would start I think it’s more he didn’t wanna risk spending 3 or 4 years with people who might not like him 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Half of me really agrees with you because I think “ oh great one more thing for detractors to complain about “ but at the same time the other half of me is glad he didn’t waste a year of eligibility if it wasn’t a good situation.  The other kid would have been gone but I don’t think minutes were the issue I think it was somewhat a foregone conclusion he would start I think it’s more he didn’t wanna risk spending 3 or 4 years with people who might not like him 

Fair enough.  Again, appreciate the insight.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Fair enough.  Again, appreciate the insight.

Always ! I’m actually really looking forward to the next two years because along with IU the in state schools have at least intriguing teams and I have a reason to follow ball state again …next 4 years of indiana basketball looks like a bright future ( and yes unfortunately that means Perdue )

2 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I don't know the kid, so mostly I feel like who am I judge, I really believe that, as it's really none of my business. But with that said, he didn't really give it much time. Having played college basketball, there are always going to be teammates that don't get along and returning players that give the new guys a hard time. It sounds like he really didn't give it much of a chance at all. I've had teammates I couldn't stand and then after one road trip where our coach had us share a room we became really good friends. 

Seems like he was looking for an excuse to bail, which again is his business. We've all been there in some way or another, it just seems he 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I don't know the kid, so mostly I feel like who am I judge, I really believe that, as it's really none of my business. But with that said, he didn't really give it much time. Having played college basketball, there are always going to be teammates that don't get along and returning players that give the new guys a hard time. It sounds like he really didn't give it much of a chance at all. I've had teammates I couldn't stand and then after one road trip where our coach had us share a room we became really good friends. 

Seems like he was looking for an excuse to bail, which again is his business. We've all been there in some way or another, it just seems he 

What’s the last part that got cut off ?  From what they told me it wasn’t a scenario that was going to lend to any success but I do agree since it was a combination of him missing being home it certainly made the decision easier 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Half my household income comes from the evil blue organization, and both my kids were born there. 

“Lo, though I walk through the valley of the blue shadow of corruption, I shall fear no evil, for IU art with me. Thy cream and thy crimson comfort me.”

Now I know why you seem so screwed up.

• Haha 1

What’s the last part that got cut off ?  From what they told me it wasn’t a scenario that was going to lend to any success but I do agree since it was a combination of him missing being home it certainly made the decision easier 

I think I said..."We've all been there in some way or another, it just seems he didn't give it much of a chance."

• Like 1

I've seen people bail quicker though. My roommate in college went to the first day of preseason conditioning and didn't come back for the 2nd day. 

My Coach asked me where he was, I just said, "You might want to talk to him, I don't think he's coming back". He did stay in school though, just quit basketball. 

• Like 2

My roomie at USI was offered a basketball scholarship, got down there and after he got there and went through SEVERAL practices, the coach said "oops...I don't have a scholarship for you."  Was one of the shittiest things I've ever personally witnessed.  Obviously, he got recruited over, but seriously...you let a kid get on campus before you break that news?

Obviously, he quit the team at that point and was on a partial academic scholarship as an engineering major (smart kid).  I think USI tried to make a bad situation a little better, but it was a little awkward though as we were rooming in a quad with a graduate assistant and another freshman scholarship player.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

I've seen people bail quicker though. My roommate in college went to the first day of preseason conditioning and didn't come back for the 2nd day. 

My Coach asked me where he was, I just said, "You might want to talk to him, I don't think he's coming back". He did stay in school though, just quit basketball. 

Was he on scholarship ?!

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

My roomie at USI was offered a basketball scholarship, got down there and after he got there and went through SEVERAL practices, the coach said "oops...I don't have a scholarship for you."  Was one of the shittiest things I've ever personally witnessed.  Obviously, he got recruited over, but seriously...you let a kid get on campus before you break that news?

Obviously, he quit the team at that point and was on a partial academic scholarship as an engineering major (smart kid).  I think USI tried to make a bad situation a little better, but it was a little awkward though as we were rooming in a quad with a graduate assistant and another freshman scholarship player.

Yeah i can’t believe he stayed 

On 10/2/2021 at 3:37 PM, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Completely caught the team and coaches off guard. That’s pretty much all I’ll say about it. He went out to eat with several players and all had a great time. The next morning the coach let them know he left the team. The team doesn’t have any hard feelings. 

• Thanks 1