General College Basketball News (Stories Undeserving Of Their Own Topic)

Couldn't find any general basketball topics to fit his under so I made one up (feel free to contribute unrelated news here)...

Saw this gem today:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ex-michigan-state-star-keith-appling-named-suspect-by-detroit-police-in-fatal-shooting-134629721.html

No surprise since Appling was named (among others) as committing sexual assault at MSU and was later busted on at least one drug charge.  Lots of warning signs with this one but Izzo tolerated his shenanigans in the name of winning.  Seems like a fine upstanding young man to me.:coffee:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I saw on FB that Jon Rothstein reported that Jordan Bohannon was attacked on Sunday morning and received a serious head injury that required medical attention.

Early Sunday...around the time DC's (Iowa City bar) closed...

He wasn't going to mass...😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

I saw on FB that Jon Rothstein reported that Jordan Bohannon was attacked on Sunday morning and received a serious head injury that required medical attention.

Kid was trying to start a bar fight and got rocked — hilarious.  Between this and Dakich doing DoorDash deliveries because he lost so much money betting on the tournament, it’s been an amazing day in college basketball news.

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Kid was trying to start a bar fight and got rocked — hilarious.  Between this and Dakich doing DoorDash deliveries because he lost so much money betting on the tournament, it’s been an amazing day in college basketball news.

Trying to start a fight? How can you tell? Anybody can pop somebody not expecting it.  I don’t give a hoot about Bohannon one bit, but I hope the kid that popped him got arrested. Nothing to celebrate here. We’re better than this. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 2:17 PM, FKIM01 said:

Couldn't find any general basketball topics to fit his under so I made one up (feel free to contribute unrelated news here)...

Saw this gem today:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ex-michigan-state-star-keith-appling-named-suspect-by-detroit-police-in-fatal-shooting-134629721.html

No surprise since Appling was named (among others) as committing sexual assault at MSU and was later busted on at least one drug charge.  Lots of warning signs with this one but Izzo tolerated his shenanigans in the name of winning.  Seems like a fine upstanding young man to me.:coffee:

He's the poster boy for Izzo's tough love program.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Trying to start a fight? How can you tell? Anybody can pop somebody not expecting it.  I don’t give a hoot about Bohannon one bit, but I hope the kid that popped him got arrested. Nothing to celebrate here. We’re better than this. 

He’s the kid with his phone up in the other kid’s face before he gets popped.  Happens in every college bar in the country every weekend.  Don’t talk **** if you’re not ready to get hit... And the thing that makes it even funnier is he’s 24 years old and putting himself in this situation.  Important lesson learned for the young man IMO.

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

He’s the kid with his phone up in the other kid’s face before he gets popped.  Happens in every college bar in the country every weekend.  Don’t talk **** if you’re not ready to get hit... And the thing that makes it even funnier is he’s 24 years old and putting himself in this situation.  Important lesson learned for the young man IMO.

Also supposedly he was throwing ice at people on the floor below them. So it sounds like he was going to get knocked out by someone.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

1) You’re right. Shouldn’t have been in that situation. But he is only 24 years old. I’m sure you’ve drank too much and popped your mouth off at somebody as well at 24 or older. I’m sure I have. I’ve never been punched or punched somebody, nor would I unless I was defending myself.  I was raised better. Walk away …. it’s not worth it. 

2) I’ve been to plenty of college bars and I think it’s just a slight stretch to suggest that it happens all of the time and is somewhat acceptable.

3) Nothing is funny about somebody that thinks it’s okay to punch somebody because they don’t like what somebody said to them. That’s softer than Bohannon running his mouth. Not to mention, many people have died from punches to the head. But hey, he deserved it right?  I hope the kid faces assault charges for his poor decision, and if he instigated the confrontation like it sounds Bohannon shouldn’t be allowed back in that place. 

Edited by kyhoosier29

7 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Also supposedly he was throwing ice at people on the floor below them. So it sounds like he was going to get knocked out by someone.

Certainly not condoning his childish behavior. Just don’t think it’s funny to suggest it’s acceptable to sucker punch somebody. If he went after the kid then I’d say he deserved it, but I don’t think we should go around punching people that run their mouth. 

7 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

1) You’re right. Shouldn’t have been in that situation. But he is only 24 years old. I’m sure you’ve drank too much and popped your mouth off at somebody as well at 24 or older. I’m sure I have. I’ve never been punched or punched somebody, nor would I unless I was defending myself.  I was raised better. Walk away …. it’s not worth it. 

2) I’ve been to plenty of college bars and I think it’s just a slight stretch to suggest that it happens all of the time and is somewhat acceptable.

3) Nothing is funny about somebody that thinks it’s okay to punch somebody because they don’t like what somebody said to them. That’s softer than Bohannon running his mouth. Not to mention, many people have died from punches to the head. But hey, he deserved it right?  I hope the kid faces assault charges for his poor decision. 

I don't condone knocking somebody out. With that said, there is a reddit thread on this where even Iowa fans are calling Bohannon a total jerk, and sharing stories of him being a complete jerk on campus repeatedly. 

Like even Iowa fans are saying if anyone deserved to get punched that it is Bohannon. 

Again, it doesn't excuse it and it shouldn't happen, but apparently Bohannon has a very negative reputation around there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Certainly not condoning his childish behavior. Just don’t think it’s funny to suggest it’s acceptable to sucker punch somebody. If he went after the kid then I’d say he deserved it, but I don’t think we should go around punching people that run their mouth. 

He was doing more then running his mouth if what is being said is true. And I have to disagree with you, sometimes it just gets to a point were they need punched in the mouth or they will never quit.

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

He was doing more then running his mouth if what is being said is true. And I have to disagree with you, sometimes it just gets to a point were they need punched in the mouth or they will never quit.

Unless Bohannon was getting physical with the guy, it doesn’t make it okay in my book. Nor is it something to celebrate or pound your chest about. Be better than that. If he WAS getting physical, and it wasn’t just talking, then sometimes it’s necessary, I agree. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't condone knocking somebody out. With that said, there is a reddit thread on this where even Iowa fans are calling Bohannon a total jersey, and sharing stories of him being a complete jerk on campus repeatedly. 

Like even Iowa fans are saying if anyone deserved to get punched that it is Bohannon. 

Again, it doesn't excuse it and it shouldn't happen, but apparently Bohannon has a very negative reputation around there. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Sounds like he’s a real winner! 

Edited by kyhoosier29

Unless Bohannon was getting physical with the guy, it doesn’t make it okay in my book. Nor is it something to celebrate or pound your chest about. Be better than that. If he WAS getting physical, and it wasn’t just talking, then sometimes it’s necessary, I agree. 

we will just have to disagree on this

Be better than that.

Maybe Bohannon needs to be better and not bring this on himself.

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

we will just have to disagree on this

Maybe Bohannon needs to be better and not bring this on himself.

That’s fine, and it sounds like he does need to be better. I just hope for your sake if you ever punch somebody that was just running their mouth, or one of your children do, that you/they don’t kill somebody and end up in prison. Again, it’s not worth it, unless you’re defending yourself from a physical confrontation. 

• Like 1

Just now, kyhoosier29 said:

That’s fine, and it sounds like he does need to be better. I just hope for your sake if you ever punch somebody that was just running their mouth, or one of your children do, that you/they don’t kill somebody and end up in prison. Again, it’s not worth it, unless you’re defending yourself from a physical confrontation. 

I don't need preached at. I am 51 years old and don't go out to bars so I don't put myself in that situation.

We clearly see things differently in life. Which is fine, not everyone is going to agree on everything.

10 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

3) Nothing is funny about somebody that thinks it’s okay to punch somebody because they don’t like what somebody said to them. That’s softer than Bohannon running his mouth. Not to mention, many people have died from punches to the head. But hey, he deserved it right?  I hope the kid faces assault charges for his poor decision, and if he instigated the confrontation like it sounds Bohannon shouldn’t be allowed back in that place. 

I broke a guy's nose once for grabbing my wife's ass.  You're right, she wasn't worth it.

• Haha 6

On 5/23/2021 at 2:17 PM, FKIM01 said:

Saw this gem today:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2020/02/14/msu-basketball-keith-appling-arrested-heroin/4766876002/