General College Basketball News (Stories Undeserving Of Their Own Topic)

5 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Of course i am joking but there is some truth to what i say.  Such as amazon only paying 9% tax rate instead of their 21% for corporates.  There are always ways for the rich to offset taxes, whether its individual or corporate. 

https://itep.org/amazon-has-record-breaking-profits-in-2020-avoids-2-3-billion-in-federal-income-taxes/

Eh, there are several factors at work there, starting with Amazon carrying forward a lot of losses before they were profitable.  Then, there are research and development credits, solar and wind farm credits and stock options granted to employees that then pay significant income taxes on  them.  So, if you don't want to encourage research & development, alternative energy investment and paying employees bonuses through stock option programs, we should probably reform the tax code. 

Then, there is the thorny issue of taxing corporate profits and then taxing the same profits again when those earnings are distributed to shareholders.  There is also the issue of U.S. corporate taxes being relatively high even now compared to most developed economies around the globe, incenting numerous U. S. corporations to domicile somewhere outside of the U.S.  I know Amazon has played a variation of that game, shifting a lot of it's European profits to Luxembourg to reduce it's tax bill in the Eurozone.  As long as there are countries willing to charge corporations less in income taxes to domicile in their country, these games will continue.  Raising the U.S. corporate rate will likely cause companies to again resort to shifting corporate offices, profits and/or production to lower tax countries.  It's akin to the dynamic between New York, Florida, California and Texas.  States, just like countries, form tax policies around a variety of factors.  Florida has no income tax, but a healthy sales tax rate, which hits consumers and tourists, rather than high income individuals and corporations.  New York and California are high state tax domiciles and are seeing an exodus of companies and general population, at least partially for tax avoidance purposes.

Tax policy can have a lot of unintended consequences.  I'm not here to defend Amazon, specifically, but I can remember when they were literally bleeding cash losing money while they built their e-commerce market.  Seems hardly fair to disregard the losses they took early on and just assess taxes based on the good years.  Likewise, the government uses tax policy to reward certain behaviors (paying workers more, spending money for research and development and investing in clean energy among other things).  Sure, you can take that away and charge higher tax rates, but you will destroy the incentive for good behavior.

I've rambled like I sometimes do, but it's way too simplistic to just say Amazon pays a relatively low tax rate.  Unfortunately, that's what are media folks tend to do...focus on one tree and completely ignore the forest.  Maybe tax reform is needed, but I'm skeptical when it appears that many of the methods Amazon uses to reduce their tax bill are behaviors that benefit not just Amazon and behaviors that our leaders have attempted to encourage by putting incentives in the tax code.  We can debate whether or not the government and it's citizens are getting their money's worth, but it's apparent that Amazon is at least trying to do some things that our government wants them to do for the benefit of society.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Eh, there are several factors at work there, starting with Amazon carrying forward a lot of losses before they were profitable.  Then, there are research and development credits, solar and wind farm credits and stock options granted to employees that then pay significant income taxes on  them.  So, if you don't want to encourage research & development, alternative energy investment and paying employees bonuses through stock option programs, we should probably reform the tax code. 

Then, there is the thorny issue of taxing corporate profits and then taxing the same profits again when those earnings are distributed to shareholders.  There is also the issue of U.S. corporate taxes being relatively high even now compared to most developed economies around the globe, incenting numerous U. S. corporations to domicile somewhere outside of the U.S.  I know Amazon has played a variation of that game, shifting a lot of it's European profits to Luxembourg to reduce it's tax bill in the Eurozone.  As long as there are countries willing to charge corporations less in income taxes to domicile in their country, these games will continue.  Raising the U.S. corporate rate will likely cause companies to again resort to shifting corporate offices, profits and/or production to lower tax countries.  It's akin to the dynamic between New York, Florida, California and Texas.  States, just like countries, form tax policies around a variety of factors.  Florida has no income tax, but a healthy sales tax rate, which hits consumers and tourists, rather than high income individuals and corporations.  New York and California are high state tax domiciles and are seeing an exodus of companies and general population, at least partially for tax avoidance purposes.

Tax policy can have a lot of unintended consequences.  I'm not here to defend Amazon, specifically, but I can remember when they were literally bleeding cash losing money while they built their e-commerce market.  Seems hardly fair to disregard the losses they took early on and just assess taxes based on the good years.  Likewise, the government uses tax policy to reward certain behaviors (paying workers more, spending money for research and development and investing in clean energy among other things).  Sure, you can take that away and charge higher tax rates, but you will destroy the incentive for good behavior.

I've rambled like I sometimes do, but it's way too simplistic to just say Amazon pays a relatively low tax rate.  Unfortunately, that's what are media folks tend to do...focus on one tree and completely ignore the forest.  Maybe tax reform is needed, but I'm skeptical when it appears that many of the methods Amazon uses to reduce their tax bill are behaviors that benefit not just Amazon and behaviors that our leaders have attempted to encourage by putting incentives in the tax code.  We can debate whether or not the government and it's citizens are getting their money's worth, but it's apparent that Amazon is at least trying to do some things that our government wants them to do for the benefit of society.

honestly i didn't read this.  Way to much for my brain at this time of the morning.  Suffice to say, you know or care way more than i do about digging into how the tax system works so i will bow out of this discussion.  Have a good day

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32442440/kentucky-men-basketball-freshman-tyty-washington-gets-nil-deal-porsche-dealership

Kind of a non-story.  He was going to be driving this car whether the NIL rules changed or not.  

Thankfully for him there is no story now that he has to memorize to tell people where he got the car. The bad part that's 3 less credit hours on his transcript 

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Thanks for posting that! m

My son and daughter graduated from USI....

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Got to imagine it is the OVC that is interested. I think USI could recruit and bring in enough talent from southern Indiana/Illinois/Ohio to compete in that conference imo.

I think they should aim a little higher.  The OVC is limited geographically and is on a downward slide in prestige.  They should look to see if the Atlantic Sun is interested.  Would be a natural rivalry for Bellarmine that just made the move to D1 a couple of years ago.

Edited by 5fouls

48 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think they should aim a little higher.  The OVC is limited geographically and is on a downward slide in prestige.  They should look to see if the Atlantic Sun is interested.  Would be a natural rivalry for Bellarmine that just made the move to D1 a couple of years ago.

Just not sure they want to invest in that kind of travel and especially for other non-revenue sports they may be interested in building. Also ASUN may want more football schools. It is a better conference…but in the end geographically and chance to compete for championships I think OVC is more likely.

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Horizon League would be a good fit

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Horizon League would be a good fit

Footprint fits...non-football conference...but the size of many of those schools would leave USI as one of the smallest I believe. Be nice to get a bidding war...I think this is an opportunity the school shouldn't pass up.

Edited by dgambill

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

I wasn't really trying to start anything with this tweet, but wow check out this Zags writer trying to act like Mark Few's punishment wasn't light?!?!

You have to click through to read the replies. 

They need to tell the Family of the woman killed by Henry Ruggs that the punishment was too harsh. 

• Like 3

On 11/2/2021 at 10:20 PM, BGleas said:

I wasn't really trying to start anything with this tweet, but wow check out this Zags writer trying to act like Mark Few's punishment wasn't light?!?!

You have to click through to read the replies. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/kansas-forward-jalen-wilson-suspended-for-first-three-regular-season-games-after-dui-arrest/

So, a player...a young person, gets a 3 game suspension for basically the same offense, yet the leader of a national contending program only gets one.

Dislike Gonzaga more and more every day.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/kansas-forward-jalen-wilson-suspended-for-first-three-regular-season-games-after-dui-arrest/

So, a player...a young person, gets a 3 game suspension for basically the same offense, yet the leader of a national contending program only gets one.

Dislike Gonzaga more and more every day.

The University Pres and AD I assume are easy enough to be found on social media and their email....