Congress Introduces Bill to Allow College Athletes to Form Unions

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Link

If one of my representatives was involved, I'd be trying to round up the recall votes...they have bigger fish to fry...

It's easier to sell in the media and tie your name to a bill that you care about college athletes then to push some unpopular new tax or spending proposal I'm sure. Agree...there are a lot more pressing issues for American's today than this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Link

If one of my representatives was involved, I'd be trying to round up the recall votes...they have bigger fish to fry...

I don't think anyone claims this is the most pressing issue facing the country, but Congress can do more than one thing at a time. They have staffs. And really, this doesn't take all that long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

I don't think anyone claims this is the most pressing issue facing the country, but Congress can do more than one thing at a time. They have staffs. And really, this doesn't take all that long.

It's not about "doing more than one thing at a time."

I  don't think the legislative branch of our government should be involved in this at all...

• Like 4

Some of the language in that article geez, better working conditions, unpaid labor?  It's a sport they choose to play.  If they dont like the conditions they dont have to do it. 

Why does everybody want to screw the universities when its the NCAA that rakes in a billion a year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

"They have bigger fish to fry." Not sure how else to interpret that.

That the legislative branch should have other priorities than to trying to " fix" something that isn't really broken. 

There's plenty of suffering and need in the US that should be addressed over 18-22 year olds who are already getting a free college education for playing a sport that they (supposedly) love...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

That the legislative branch should have other priorities than to trying to " fix" something that isn't really broken. 

There's plenty of suffering and need in the US that should be addressed over 18-22 year olds who are already getting a free college education for playing a sport that they (supposedly) love...

Again, you're saying exactly what I said you said. No one claims this is the most pressing issue in the country, but Congress can do multiple things at once. This in no way impacts their ability to address the suffering and need.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Again, you're saying exactly what I said you said. No one claims this is the most pressing issue in the country, but Congress can do multiple things at once. This in no way impacts their ability to address the suffering and need.

And I say in my opinion they shouldn't addressing it at all. Simple as that.

You seem to want to belabor this point, but I don't think I can be any more clear. 

• Like 2

While college athletes willingly enter a contract to essentially play a child's game, being compensated very well, I sign a confidentiality agreement and contract that I AGREED to do and can still be fired at will for whatever reason.  And lets be real, if I and a former IU basketball player had the exact same credentials and applied for the same job I have now, who would get it?  Not me.

And when I leave work everyday I see this, Seminary park on 2nd st in Bloomington.  So yeah, college athletes can STFU. 

seminary-park-camping-gear.jpg

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I'm going to have to disagree with this. I doubt Congress could butter a peice of bread right now. Just sayin.🤷‍♂️

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Some of the language in that article geez, better working conditions, unpaid labor?  It's a sport they choose to play.  If they dont like the conditions they dont have to do it. 

Why does everybody want to screw the universities when its the NCAA that rakes in a billion a year. 

Why does your argument apply to players but not to schools? As the rules stand now, players chose to play. Do you have any doubt that schools and the NCAA will still choose to have basketball teams regardless of what comes of this law? Why not say " if they (schools/NCAA) don't like the conditions they done have to do it"?

The schools are the middle man in this situation.  It's the NCAA that makes the rules and profits, and suffers no consequences for their incompetence.  I'm sure schools and NCAA would find a way. But they dont have to provide sports programs if the chose not to. 

What would unionized players even bargain for? Better healthcare?  I'm sure they are on their parents plan and get top notch care paid for by their university.  5 cents for every free throw made?  And in IU's case the last few year $20 for a 3 pointer?

If I had it my way. The NCAA would organize tournaments and whatever administrative stuff but make very little rules just standardized things like first day of practice, recruiting windows. They should not be making rules for athletes.

The individual athletic department's set the guidelines for their programs. The coaches keep their players in line. 

If Mother Bears wants to pay TJD to eat a slice of pizza to use as an advertisement then go for it. Just one example.