Memorial Day

Headed out of decorate my 2nd father's grave today. He was a WWII purple heart and one of the finest men I ever met.

I'm passionate about this holiday and I grieve the lack of respect this holiday gets from my daughter's generation.  Most of them have no idea what sacrifices were made to secure and protect our freedom.  Those stories are absolutely endless, but are being lost in the dustbin of history.  Our founding fathers are being judged by standards they knew nothing about and labeled as racists.  Our heroes are being labeled as old men or simply forgotten as old dead men.  Our Vietnam vets were welcomed home as baby killers and spat on even though they didn't ask for that war, but dutifully served without seeking deferments.  Our V. P. literally tweeted "Enjoy the long weekend."

I hope and pray that we wake up and remember what freedom means before we become the largest colony of the Chinese empire.  Freedom isn't free and God bless those who paid the price for the rest of us.

2115957657_MemorialDay.thumb.jpg.7e793c8273fd401d9fef4daa861d6eef.jpg

• Like 7

• 11 months later...
5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Back to the top to honor the fallen who have made the ultimate sacrifice in protecting our way of life...

We can always do better, but today is about remembering and being thankful... 

Was standing next to two women yesterday at track during Taps. When it was finished I could see the tears streaming down their faces. After talking with them later one lost her son and the other her husband in Gulf War. Have met up at the 500 each year ever since they met in an online support group.

We thanked them and told them (just like with everyone else) we'll never forget their families ultimate sacrifice.

• Like 4

I always think of Khobar Towers...

13 Airmen and Airwomen lost their lives in that bombing... They brought the caskets to Eglin AFB where I was stationed at the time... I worked Air Force 1 in and then asked to be relieved so I could see the ceremony which was down the flight line from where the RAPCON was... I remember after it was over watching President Clinton walking up the stairs to the plane, head down and looking so sullen...

Also always took comfort in President Lincoln's words to a Mrs Bixby as read in "Saving Private Ryan."

Dear Madam,--

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I’m a day late but huge thank you to all those that made the ultimate sacrifice! Can’t thank them enough and always thank active and former members of our armed forces when I get a chance.

I light up a 4ft by 6ft flag that my wife got me a couple years back. It’s an American flag with hundreds of lights on it. 

• Like 1