Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski to retire after next season

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

First Williams, now K. 

I think the writing is on the wall for some of these older guys who don't want to adapt to all the changes coming forward in college athletics. Between the portal, NIL, and these alternatives for the highest ranked kids, I think these coaches are stepping down because they can't/don't want to change.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Boeheim doesn't announce his retirement soon.

....and then Izzo.

Then add in the transfer portal and the NIL.....the CBB landscape will be interesting 5 years from now. You have to think Duke and UNC will have some growing pains. And who knows what's going on with Kentucky. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

....and then Izzo.

Then add in the transfer portal and the NIL.....the CBB landscape will be interesting 5 years from now. You have to think Duke and UNC will have some growing pains. And who knows what's going on with Kentucky. 

Big time CBB programs are or will have to start approaching how they operate much differently. Archie's failure seems similar to why these older guys are leaving. It's a multi level operation much more aligned to the NBA than it used to be. At some point it will come semi full circle though where the coaches just coach and everyone else in the program handles the rest of it. As it stands now, head coaches are going to burn out way faster than before and/or you're only going to have total "marketing" or "charisma" type guys and older school "coaching coaches" who love the x's and o's but not so much the rest, will be relegated to assistants or lead smaller programs. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

No coincidence this happening with the new portal rules, NIL, and oh yeah...Zion stuff coming out. I like Coach K as a coach. The way he teaches the game and the way he raised "men" for the most part of his career. I just think the last several years he really kind of sold his soul in chasing the OAD and more championships. I think he sees the continued trends and realizes the game is passing him by in terms of recruiting, keeping players, and the new landscape of what the NCAA will be and he is getting out before he loses credibility and so he doesn't have to navigate the new college basketball world....ala Williams. It was only a matter of time anyways.

2 hours ago, HoosierMama said:

Wow!  I'm not too surprised but am surprised they announced it this early.  Farewell tour I guess.

Then how long before the "Brad's out in Boston and he misses coaching so he's going to step down as president there and come back to college" rumors start....

I think they will stick with one of their own for awhile. People might put the rumors out there but I don't think he will go there.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The times they are a changing....the NCAA landscape could be looking very different in a year or two. Makes this year for Woodson so very important for building momentum in the program. Go IU!

I was initially wrong with Woodson, but he’s our guy now! Can’t wait for the season start! 

• Like 1

Curious if Goodman will spend day after day tweeting about Duke hire. Insecure little....$**%*. Really surprised Johnny Dawkins was never even considered. Scheyer has zero head coaching experience in college let alone at pro level. Duke might finally be taking a step back. Amen. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

If Stevens was actually seriously considering the IU job in the middle of the NBA season this year, he’s absolutely taking the Duke job after ratface retires... No way they go with Scheyer if Stevens is available.

The nice thing is, I’m not even upset about this.  Mike Woodson is the guy.

Well this was a bad call... I can’t wait to see UNC and Duke tank with Williams’ and K’s stoolboys.

• Like 1

Over our past coach searches (oh, I hate using the plural form of that word) I recall various rival schools mocking us for not wooing a big-name, established coach - as if any of them would have ever left their current teams. At those times several of us speculated about just who or how the current elite teams would replace their legendary coaches.  Now we're seeing that none of them thus far have pulled in the Stevens', Donovans or poached a coach from any other perennial contender.

Nope, it's a passing of the guard for multiple blue blood type teams.  History has shown that the failure rate is pretty high for coaches who directly succeed HOF coaches.  It will be interesting to see how much sway Duke/UNC will have going forward based solely on past reputation.

• Like 3