Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski to retire after next season

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

ESPN really really talking up Scheyer....all the old Duke guys really trying to convince young kids this guy is already a Brad Stevens in waiting. smh  The fawning ESPN does over Duke basketball is just ridiculous. 

ESPN can say whatever they want. What matters is what happens in the living room. I think Duke just made a mistake in not going with Johnny Dawkins. 

• Like 3

As we know, the ACC Network (ACCN) is a 24/7 national network dedicated to ACC sports. ACCN is owned and operated by ESPN in partnership with the Atlantic Coast Conference.

I’m fine with spanking their little darlings around in the ACC vs B1G challenge. The only time of year I pull for the other B1G teams.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

ESPN can say whatever they want. What matters is what happens in the living room. I think Duke just made a mistake in not going with Johnny Dawkins. 

So Scheyer is like our Fife....pretty sure he is the future but the right guy for right now is Woody. You think Dawkins is the right guy for right now in Duke? He didn't really do anything at Stanford except had NIT success. I think the allure of the unknown for Duke is greater than what they do know. Why do you think Dawkins would be the guy? Not arguing just wondering.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So Scheyer is like our Fife....pretty sure he is the future but the right guy for right now is Woody. You think Dawkins is the right guy for right now in Duke? He didn't really do anything at Stanford except had NIT success. I think the allure of the unknown for Duke is greater than what they do know. Why do you think Dawkins would be the guy? Not arguing just wondering.

Mostly because the I played for 9 years in the league and know what it takes to get there angle sells on recruiting front. Plus he's been a head coach and taken two different programs to tourney. Former Duke legend, NBA player, proven track record in coaching....all that to me adds up to better option.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Mostly because the I played for 9 years in the league and know what it takes to get there angle sells on recruiting front. Plus he's been a head coach and taken two different programs to tourney. Former Duke legend, NBA player, proven track record in coaching....all that to me adds up to better option.

The king of the NIT is your proven track record? I get the NBA angle you are saying but let's be real....Dawkins NBA connection is not the same as an NBA lifer like Woody. You could be right...either way K has plenty of assistants and former players coaching that it could take a lifetime to give them all a chance.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Scheyer can gat you to the "league" too if you don't mind learning Yiddish... :D 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The king of the NIT is your proven track record? I get the NBA angle you are saying but let's be real....Dawkins NBA connection is not the same as an NBA lifer like Woody. You could be right...either way K has plenty of assistants and former players coaching that it could take a lifetime to give them all a chance.

Getting programs like Stanford and UCF to the tourney is impressive to me. Time will tell. I'll be curious over the coming season what former Duke players are going to say. I'm not talking Laettner and Hurley. Talking recent players. 

• Like 1

Not a Duke or K fan at all, but listening to the "tribute" shows already aired by ESPN and on Sirius, they make it sound like a eulogy, or at the very least that he retired immediately. He's gonna be coaching one more year, and I am certain that every opponent, at least in the ACC, will have their tribute videos, gifts etc. Just seems like the gun got jumped quite a bit here to start this.

As  I heard someone say this morning, it's like Sara McClaughlin's (sp?) "I Will Remember You" was or should have been playing in the background of every one of these.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, dgambill said:

No coincidence this happening with the new portal rules, NIL, and oh yeah...Zion stuff coming out. I like Coach K as a coach. The way he teaches the game and the way he raised "men" for the most part of his career. I just think the last several years he really kind of sold his soul in chasing the OAD and more championships. I think he sees the continued trends and realizes the game is passing him by in terms of recruiting, keeping players, and the new landscape of what the NCAA will be and he is getting out before he loses credibility and so he doesn't have to navigate the new college basketball world....ala Williams. It was only a matter of time anyways.

Or he is just getting old and its time to call it a career.

6 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

History has shown that the failure rate is pretty high for coaches who directly succeed HOF coaches.  It will be interesting to see how much sway Duke/UNC will have going forward based solely on past reputation.

Now that is a very interesting topic.  

Let's see...

UK...Joe B. Hall(won a title)

Louisville...Rick Pitino(won a title)

UNC...Bill Guthridge(FF appearance)

Indiana...Mike Davis(National Title game)

UCLA...Gene Bartow(FF appearance, SS in just 2 years with a record of 51-10)

Who else do you consider a blue blood?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, rico said:

Let's see...

Consider Mike Davis a success? He didn’t f up that one season, so kudos, but I certainly wouldn’t use him as an example to rebut Zuckercorn’s claim. The others are certainly fair IMO.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Consider Mike Davis a success? He didn’t f up that one season, so kudos, but I certainly wouldn’t use him as an example to rebut Zuckercorn’s claim. The others are certainly fair IMO.

Not rebutting Zuckerhorn's claims...just showing what guys did taking over for a legend.

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

A lot of guys have followed a HOF coach and had success but did nothing once that HoF coach's players left.  See Tubby, Weber, Davis, and Ollie who all made the title game and 2 of them won it.  All were ultimately fired though.  It's tough to follow a legend.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Let's see...

Kansas?

Phog Allen was replaced by Dick Harp ("no, that's not a musical instrument")