Jump to content

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski to retire after next season


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

What did the Purdue coach do when he took over for whatever coach won whatever stupid banner they lay claim to?😛

I think Ward "Piggy" Lambert was the coach for the vaunted Helms Banner team...

Don't know who took over for him...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, rico said:

Now that is a very interesting topic.  

Let's see...

UK...Joe B. Hall(won a title)

Louisville...Rick Pitino(won a title)

UNC...Bill Guthridge(FF appearance)

Indiana...Mike Davis(National Title game)

UCLA...Gene Bartow(FF appearance, SS in just 2 years with a record of 51-10)

Who else do you consider a blue blood?

Point taken, but only two of those coaches lasted long at those schools (Pitino & Hall who both coincidentally continued winning for several years until being ousted for NCAA rules violations). All of the other bb schools had immediate success with the successors, but didn't each decline in fairly short order and replaced those coaches?

Nobody was going to continue with the record UCLA had been used to and Bartow proved at UAB he was a very good coach. 

To your point, not a retirement, but Self following Williams was highly successful.  Matt Painter has done a great job at continuing to maintain good but never great success at purdue.

It got me thinking about HOF coaches at non-blueblood schools. (BTW, I didn't specifically mention blueblood schools but rather HOF coaches).  Honestly don't know who is or isn't actually in the HOF, I think of guys like Fred Taylor, Lou Carneseca, Massimino.

Edit: I think I got my Kentucky cheaters mixed up (Hall/Sutton).  Only realized after I looked at the HOF wiki.  There are very few HOF successors to HOF coaches (Crum/Pitino, Williams/Self), Knight/Davis...🤪).

Edited by Zuckerkorn
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Point taken, but only two of those coaches lasted long at those schools (Pitino & Hall who both coincidentally continued winning for several years until being ousted for NCAA rules violations). All of the other bb schools had immediate success with the successors, but didn't each decline in fairly short order and replaced those coaches?

Nobody was going to continue with the record UCLA had been used to and Bartow proved at UAB he was a very good coach. 

To your point, not a retirement, but Self following Williams was highly successful.  Matt Painter has done a great job at continuing to maintain good but never great success at purdue.

It got me thinking about HOF coaches at non-blueblood schools. (BTW, I didn't specifically mention blueblood schools but rather HOF coaches).  Honestly don't know who is or isn't actually in the HOF, I think of guys like Fred Taylor, Lou Carneseca, Massimino.

Edit: I think I got my Kentucky cheaters mixed up (Hall/Sutton).  Only realized after I looked at the HOF wiki.  There are very few HOF successors to HOF coaches (Crum/Pitino, Williams/Self), Knight/Davis...🤪).

I don't know if I had/have a point.  But imo guys taking over for a HoF coach usually have success.  Now how long that success lasts is a different story.  I should also add that different fanbases view "success" differently.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rico said:

I don't know if I had/have a point.  But imo guys taking over for a HoF coach usually have success.  Now how long that success lasts is a different story.  I should also add that different fanbases view "success" differently.

 

Precisely.  Expectations are probably the biggest barrier at traditional schools.  My sense is that often new coaches last longer at lower profile schools because of it, IDK.  

In any case it certainly will be interesting to see how things proceed at Duke and UNC.

Edited by Zuckerkorn
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Precisely.  Expectations are probably the biggest barrier at traditional schools.  My sense is that often new coaches last longer at lower profile schools because of it, IDK.  

In any case it certainly will be interesting to see how things proceed at Duke and UNC.

BTW, there is one great example out there for failing after taking over for a HoF coach that largely goes under the radar.  That be Hank Iba at Oklahoma St.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, rico said:

BTW, there is one great example out there for failing after taking over for a HoF coach that largely goes under the radar.  That be Hank Iba at Oklahoma St.

Ray Meyer too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, rico said:

No.  Joey Meyer didn't miss a beat.  7 NCAAT appearances in his first 8 years.  

Yeah, it took him a while to fail off, but when he did, it was a fall off the cliff...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rico said:

That is true, but DePaul hasn't sniffed success since Joey.

I was just looking at DePaul's school history...They should have stayed an independent...that kinda coincides with the dropoff...

The GMWC and CUSA weren't terrible fits,  but the Big East sure was,...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was just looking at DePaul's school history...They should have stayed an independent...that kinda coincides with the dropoff...

The GMWC and CUSA weren't terrible fits,  but the Big East sure was,...

A lot of schools got hurt by all the conference shifting and lack of looking into the future.  Look at UNLV and Cincinnati...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Calhoun's health is the word, but after one good season with Ollie, UConn has fallen off the radar

Two good seasons with Ollie.  He made an NCAAT appearance 2 years after the title.  I say UConn is just fine under Hurley which coincides with the Huskies returning to the Big East.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...