‘21 Offseason

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why would this upset me because this part of the process.  I want to see more than just this but this kind of thing doesn't bother.  It seems like some of you guys are set to mock me anytime you can even though I have not even posted much the last month or so.

My apologies Scott. I truly did not mean to offend. Your my "not on my lawn guy"...but I do 100% respect you my friend. I wouldn't joke if I didn't really like you. When I think of you, this is always how I see you...100% respect my friend

eastwood.jpg

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My apologies Scott. I truly did not mean to offend. Your my "not on my lawn guy"...but I do 100% respect you my friend. I wouldn't joke if I didn't really like you. When I think of you, this is always how I see you...100% respect my friend

eastwood.jpg

No problem, it was just under Archie that is all we saw and the results was terrible.  It just seems like there is touch emphasis in weight training over actual basketball skills.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

No problem, it was just under Archie that is all we saw and the results was terrible.  It just seems like there is touch emphasis in weight training over actual basketball skills.

Hey man....I hated the 40 inch verticle promos etc when it came out. Especially when it really didn't show itself on the court. I feel you. Shooting is the most important thing our guys can work on...and I hope they are getting plenty of work in. I do think Archie emphasized defense at the expense of almost everything but I feel Woody knows there is two ends of the floor. As long as guys are putting in the effort at the defensive end that will take care of itself...the offensive end I think he knows needs a major improvement. I think we will even see guys like Rob make improvements in their shot.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I really see us knocking out a lot of teams early this season.

I played on a team from our engineering group in a Texas Instruments league in dallas back in the late 80's.  One of the engineers was a golden gloves boxer. He was easily our best athlete. He had no basketball IQ but always got the ball.  His hands were so super quick. I saw at least 2 times where he faked the pass over the defenders head and the defender turned around to see where the ball went. Syl still had the ball and would then just drive on by. Rec league ball. Gotta love it.

He was like 33 or 34 when he finally quit boxing.  His last year he made it the regional finals before losing.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2021 at 3:52 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t mean this as snarky at all, but I wonder what Phinisee would have been like as a defensive back?  

And on a tangent, so few young kids focus on baseball, especially African Americans.  The numbers speak for themselves.  We don’t have Aaron, Mays, McCovey, and Banks emerging on the diamond.  They’d probably be playing football in the SEC if they came up now.  

Well thats college baseballs fault. 11.7 schollys is a joke, as far as blacks go not focusing on baseball. But in general.. there are TONS of kids that focus on baseball/one sport in general. 🤢

Phin would have been a stud CB. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Looks like some of those guys liked it more than others....I saw a couple miserable faces there lol. 🤣  They will be begging to get up shots in the gym after a couple more days like yesterday lol.

Edited by dgambill

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 4:41 PM, ATX_sig said:

I played on a team from our engineering group in a Texas Instruments league in dallas back in the late 80's.  One of the engineers was a golden gloves boxer. He was easily our best athlete. He had no basketball IQ but always got the ball.  His hands were so super quick. I saw at least 2 times where he faked the pass over the defenders head and the defender turned around to see where the ball went. Syl still had the ball and would then just drive on by. Rec league ball. Gotta love it.

He was like 33 or 34 when he finally quit boxing.  His last year he made it the regional finals before losing.

The "combat" sports (boxing and amateur/collegiate wrestling) require such varying combinations of skills and levels of conditioning that they immediately translate into many other sports. 

I played football, baseball, ran track and wrestled in high school and hands down, the most rigorous conditioning was wrestling. We had a wrestler that hadn't played football since maybe 6th grade decide to play his junior year and within a day or two of full contact practice was putting on a clinic in open field/special teams tackling. Same general motions as shooting a leg for a takedown, aside from wrapping and turning instead of coming back to your feet. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

The "combat" sports (boxing and amateur/collegiate wrestling) require such varying combinations of skills and levels of conditioning that they immediately translate into many other sports. 

I played football, baseball, ran track and wrestled in high school and hands down, the most rigorous conditioning was wrestling. We had a wrestler that hadn't played football since maybe 6th grade decide to play his junior year and within a day or two of full contact practice was putting on a clinic in open field/special teams tackling. Same general motions as shooting a leg for a takedown, aside from wrapping and turning instead of coming back to your feet. 

And people make fun of the fact I was a fencer on top of I also wrestled.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Drroogh said:

And people make fun of the fact I was a fencer on top of I also wrestled.

I wouldn't make fun of any wrestler...I had a friend in college who was like 5'6 (i'm 6'1) and weighed like 50 lbs less then me. We all did some living room wrestling...I was ok as long as I could keep my long arms extended lol but that kid was as strong as a monkey...freaking a ball of muscle and once he locked on to something there was no breaking his hold! Also the dedication (diet) and endurance it would take I'm sure would translate to any sport.

ps...love the sig too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

I wouldn't make fun of any wrestler...I had a friend in college who was like 5'6 (i'm 6'1) and weighed like 50 lbs less then me. We all did some living room wrestling...I was ok as long as I could keep my long arms extended lol but that kid was as strong as a monkey...freaking a ball of muscle and once he locked on to something there was no breaking his hold! Also the dedication (diet) and endurance it would take I'm sure would translate to any sport.

ps...love the sig too!

It's all about leverage.  With leverage on your side, a half inch of movement can produce searing pain. 

• Like 2