‘21 Offseason

Just watched the 81 championship game and that team played so great in that tournament.  Thing that struck me is that how the game and how it was coached is do different now.  In this game IU played only 7 guys and 3 starters played all 40 minutes.

IT, Tolbert and Wittman played 40 minutes.

Turner played the first 35 minutes until fouling out.

Kitchell played the first 5 minutes but got 3 fouls and did not play the rest of the game.

J. Thomas played the last 27 minutes of the game.

Risley played like 12 minutes.

Edited by IU Scott

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just watched the 81 championship game and that team played so great in that tournament.  Thing that struck me is that how the game and how it was coached is do different now.  In this game IU played only 7 guys and 3 starters played all 40 minutes.

IT, Tolbert and Wittman played 40 minutes.

Turner played the first 35 minutes until fouling out.

Kitchell played the first 5 minutes but got 3 fouls and did not play the rest of the game.

J. Thomas played the last 27 minutes of the game.

Risley played like 12 minutes.

Saving the last minute of this years blowout, Gonzaga played 7 guys and Baylor played 8. I think it's normal to play a bigger rotation in the regular season than you do in the tournament/playoffs, but rest assured in the year 2021 benches are short by the time postseason play comes around for teams that are competing for a title. 

If you look at the '85 Lakers (won the title) vs the 2021 Bucks, each team has three players averaging over 30 MPG and an additional two players averaging over 25 MPG. I think it is easy as fans to forget how a coach manages/plays his rotation in a run of the mill regular season game. We tend to compare what a coach this year would do in a random game in the middle of January to what Knight would have done in the tournament, and it just isn't really a fair comparison. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Saving the last minute of this years blowout, Gonzaga played 7 guys and Baylor played 8. I think it's normal to play a bigger rotation in the regular season than you do in the tournament/playoffs, but rest assured in the year 2021 benches are short by the time postseason play comes around for teams that are competing for a title. 

If you look at the '85 Lakers (won the title) vs the 2021 Bucks, each team has three players averaging over 30 MPG and an additional two players averaging over 25 MPG. I think it is easy as fans to forget how a coach manages/plays his rotation in a run of the mill regular season game. We tend to compare what a coach this year would do in a random game in the middle of January to what Knight would have done in the tournament, and it just isn't really a fair comparison. 

The difference is that the only reason for the subs were foul trouble and not just subbing because it was time.  In each half 4 guys played the when half.  Also I have watched some regular season games and it was the same subbing pattern.

On 7/5/2021 at 12:33 PM, IU Scott said:

The difference is that the only reason for the subs were foul trouble and not just subbing because it was time.  In each half 4 guys played the when half.  Also I have watched some regular season games and it was the same subbing pattern.

It's not necessarily era specific. '84 Georgetown, Thompson consistently used 7 guys for at least 15 minutes per game throughout the tournament run, and only twice did someone go over 35 minutes. 

• Like 1

That’s terrific.  Even if it’s just optics, it’s a great morale boost for the department of athletics, the teams, and the alumni.  

You can walk and chew gum at the same time.  Academics will always be far and away the numero uno priority, but a President should be able to effectively manage all aspects of a B1G institution.  Athletics can enhance academics in many ways, which was always a point McRobbie never seemed to comprehend.  Whether it’s engaging alumni and keeping them captive to fundraising or whether it’s promoting the school for new applicants, there is a synergy there. Most of the other schools in the B1G get this and we have been handicapped.  

• Like 4