Mason Gillis

Yeah that is just dumb. In the day and age of uber etc no reason not to phone a friend or catch a lift. Scary people out there do this stuff. Probably could go into the general basketball thread though. We could probably start a whole forum of dumb decisions by college kids if we did threads for them all sadly.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Mason got arrested over the weekend for a DUI. Still don’t understand drinking and driving with all the options out there for people nowadays.  Hopefully he learns from this.

Saw it was a 0.15 which is really bad. In 2021, zero reason to do this when you’ve got Uber/Lyft/etc.  Wonder what his punishment will be. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Saw it was a 0.15 which is really bad. In 2021, zero reason to do this when you’ve got Uber/Lyft/etc.  Wonder what his punishment will be. 

I'll tell you this....I wouldn't want to be on Painters bad side....not with the competition for minutes he is going to have with Furst and Kaufman for minutes....we already know Painter isn't afraid to start freshmen....could easily just dismiss him if he wanted...not saying he should but well in today's college basketball...you are easily replaceable unless you are a superstar draft pick in the waiting.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I'll tell you this....I wouldn't want to be on Painters bad side....not with the competition for minutes he is going to have with Furst and Kaufman for minutes....we already know Painter isn't afraid to start freshmen....could easily just dismiss him if he wanted...not saying he should but well in today's college basketball...you are easily replaceable unless you are a superstar draft pick in the waiting.

Fair points for sure. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Painter gives everyone a second chance. And he likes this kid. But, if he already gave Mason a second chance...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Here in my neck of the woods, Ubers and Lyfts are so expensive recently that drunk driving has seemed like an attractive option.

I got quite a few buds in the Fort, they have mentioned the high prices...still better than getting a DUI, killing yourself, or killing others.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, rico said:

I saw where Mason was in jail for 18 hours after he got booked.  Something is amiss with that.

Well...it could be that or it could be his parents/guardians want him to sit and think about what he did and learn a valuable lesson. I can tell you this....if I had to call my dad back in the day to pick me up at the jail for something like this.....well I might have volunteered to stay and not make that phone call.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Well...it could be that or it could be his parents/guardians want him to sit and think about what he did and learn a valuable lesson. I can tell you this....if I had to call my dad back in the day to pick me up at the jail for something like this.....well I might have volunteered to stay and not make that phone call.

I understand that all too well(another story) but they normally only hold someone for 4 hours on a DUI charge(as long as that is all there is).  

But I haven't bailed out a buddy in 15 years...so maybe the "rules" have changed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I understand that all too well(another story) but they normally only hold someone for 4 hours on a DUI charge(as long as that is all there is).  

But I haven't bailed out a buddy in 15 years...so maybe the "rules" have changed.

I see....then yes there seems to be a story here. Honestly, I've never been to jail or asked to bail anyone out so I would never have known. Heard stories about people being in the drunk tank all weekend but have no clue what truth is in all that. 

Just now, dgambill said:

I see....then yes there seems to be a story here. Honestly, I've never been to jail or asked to bail anyone out so I would never have known. Heard stories about people being in the drunk tank all weekend but have no clue what truth is in all that. 

They can't make bail and have to go before the judge on Monday morning.

I have been thrown in twice.  Once for underage drinking and the other was a mess(hence the the Dad comment I made).

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, dgambill said:

One time when I was at IU, a group of friends from my home town came down for a concert and to party for the weekend. We had hit several keggars and arrived back at my dorm room. Someone asked, "anyone seen "John"? He wasn't in the dorm and we couldn't remember the last place we'd seen him. We decided he probably hooked up with a co-ed and everyone crashed in my dorm room. Next morning (must have been a Saturday), he calls from the Monroe County jail. He'd spent the night in the drunk tank and needed bail money. 

We managed to scrape together the $100 (as I recall, one guy ponied up about $80 of that, I believe he was a small time "entrepreneur"). After we bailed "John" out. He told us that as we were leaving a party, he fell behind the group. A couple of IUPD stopped him and told him to pour out his beer. Instead, he tipped back the cup to finish the last drink (he wasn't well versed on the rules of the day). One cop slapped the cup out of his hand and yelled, "what's the matter boy, you got s**t in your ears?" They arrested him and booked him in the drunk tank and we had no idea.

He also shared that while he was in the drunk tank, he got in a conversation with another guy and they both realized they'd gone to grade school together. 

• Haha 5

21 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

One time when I was at IU, a group of friends from my home town came down for a concert and to party for the weekend. We had hit several keggars and arrived back at my dorm room. Someone asked, "anyone seen "John"? He wasn't in the dorm and we couldn't remember the last place we'd seen him. We decided he probably hooked up with a co-ed and everyone crashed in my dorm room. Next morning (must have been a Saturday), he calls from the Monroe County jail. He'd spent the night in the drunk tank and needed bail money. 

We managed to scrape together the $100 (as I recall, one guy ponied up about $80 of that, I believe he was a small time "entrepreneur"). After we bailed "John" out. He told us that as we were leaving a party, he fell behind the group. A couple of IUPD stopped him and told him to pour out his beer. Instead, he tipped back the cup to finish the last drink (he wasn't well versed on the rules of the day). One cop slapped the cup out of his hand and yelled, "what's the matter boy, you got s**t in your ears?" They arrested him and booked him in the drunk tank and we had no idea.

He also shared that while he was in the drunk tank, he got in a conversation with another guy and they both realized they'd gone to grade school together. 

Man I miss college.

tenor (2).gif

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Sounds like the makings of the Hangover 4....lol

On 6/7/2021 at 6:02 PM, rico said:

I saw where Mason was in jail for 18 hours after he got booked.  Something is amiss with that.

On 6/8/2021 at 12:23 PM, dgambill said:

On 6/7/2021 at 8:16 PM, IUwins0708 said:

Yeah that’s strange for sure.

I was in there for probably 16 hours when I got mine. 

• Like 1