Mason Gillis

I got arrested in Louisville, disorderly conduct.  Sometime after midnight.  Evidently they were going to release me around 7 am but i was so passed out i slept through them calling my name.  Finally by noon I asked the guard how long i was going to be held.  They were super confused because i wasn't supposed to be there.  Crazy thing is i was never charged, never fined, no fees, nothing.  I went and got my record of arrest expunged a year later when i started trying to get real jobs.  Represented myself before the judge.  He asked if I had been in anymore trouble.  And wished me luck.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, rico said:

Hmmm.....maybe it is a county thing?  

Where are our legal beagles at?

Not a legal beagle but I’ve always heard they can hold you 24 hrs before charging you or releasing you. A little longer if it is a serious crime. Again...never been arrested....have gotten a couple speeding tickets though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 12:23 PM, dgambill said:

I see....then yes there seems to be a story here. Honestly, I've never been to jail or asked to bail anyone out so I would never have known. Heard stories about people being in the drunk tank all weekend but have no clue what truth is in all that. 

On 6/8/2021 at 12:18 PM, rico said:

I understand that all too well(another story) but they normally only hold someone for 4 hours on a DUI charge(as long as that is all there is).  

But I haven't bailed out a buddy in 15 years...so maybe the "rules" have changed.

It is partially dependent on the county / jurisdiction of the offense but if the information a poster provided about him being alleged to have a 0.15 BAC is accurate it would not be uncommon to have him held for that period of time even outside the circumstances of posting bond or a release on his own recognizance.  Up until last year most counties operated on either a cash or surety bond system. Bond is often immediately scheduled by the detention facility based on the classification of the alleged offense so bond can be posted almost immediately after the book in process.  With dui or any case that involves substance use a facility can hold an individual, even one that can post the determined bond , until the intoxication sufficiently subsides to insure the safety of the detainee.  He could have been so out of it they couldn’t responsibly release him even if folks wanted to post his bond.  About 18 months ago we adopted a new system where misdemeanor offenses and non violent felons could be reviewed upon arrest for several criteria ( criminal history , employment , residence , etc ) to determine if the person was a risk and they could be released without posting a bond to alleviate crowding issues ….unless he has a dui history or was also charged with an endangerment offense that increased the severity to felony level it’s likely he would have qualified for release on his own recognizance even if his family was holding out to teach him a lesson.  Between family not wanting to get him out immediately and / or not being able to get there in timely fashion , him being unsafe to release , and there being further investigative inquiry or circumstance surrounding his arrest I would speculate that it was most likely something to do with his fitness to be released  until  he sobered up.  If he had drugs or did something that was investigated further it would have likely been brought to light since. 

On 6/9/2021 at 2:16 PM, NotIThatLives said:

I got arrested in Louisville, disorderly conduct.  Sometime after midnight.  Evidently they were going to release me around 7 am but i was so passed out i slept through them calling my name.  Finally by noon I asked the guard how long i was going to be held.  They were super confused because i wasn't supposed to be there.  Crazy thing is i was never charged, never fined, no fees, nothing.  I went and got my record of arrest expunged a year later when i started trying to get real jobs.  Represented myself before the judge.  He asked if I had been in anymore trouble.  And wished me luck.  

Well played 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 9:00 PM, dgambill said:

Not a legal beagle but I’ve always heard they can hold you 24 hrs before charging you or releasing you. A little longer if it is a serious crime. Again...never been arrested....have gotten a couple speeding tickets though.

It’s after 48 hours  that they HAVE to release you if probable cause sufficient to hold the accused  hasn't been established by a court with jurisdiction 

• Thanks 1

Just now, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Local and state for sure ….I’m unsure with respect to federal jurisdiction …a lot of their rules and offense classifications are varying 

I think it’s the case with ”normal” federal jurisdiction. If it’s something involving covert ops, all bets are off (including trial…lol)