Are You Ready For Some Fantasy Football - HSN Style

56 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Well, I am a Commish for a league on Yahoo and I set the draft order several weeks beforehand 

This makes most sense to me.  At least a couple of weeks.  Gives everyone time to map out a draft strategy.  Sure, the guy drafting in front of you may blow that strategy to hell, but it gives everyone the best chance to be happy with their team.  

On 7/15/2021 at 11:09 PM, 5fouls said:

This makes most sense to me.  At least a couple of weeks.  Gives everyone time to map out a draft strategy.  Sure, the guy drafting in front of you may blow that strategy to hell, but it gives everyone the best chance to be happy with their team.  

Any votes for the 3rd Round Reversal draft sequence instead of just the standard snake draft? lol...I think I know the answer lol.

Conclusion....draft early is best chance all things equal. You end up with 3 top 25 players and the way points drop off in certain rounds early is still better than late.

Edited by dgambill
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Anyone think it strange you have had the #1 pick 3 years in a row?? lol

What's funny about this statement is that I have a site that randomly picks the draft order for my league. I did it yesterday, and I was #1. I did it again, as it's not worth the invariable eyebrow raising that would come with that decision.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

What's funny about this statement is that I have a site that randomly picks the draft order for my league. I did it yesterday, and I was #1. I did it again, as it's not worth the invariable eyebrow raising that would come with that decision.

So much pressure on that pick to stay healthy though. Shew.. lost Saquan last year (I had #2)... and still ended up 3rd in league and won playoffs. 

1st in 10 team isnt too bad to me, but in a 12 it can be tricky. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

So much pressure on that pick to stay healthy though. Shew.. lost Saquan last year (I had #2)... and still ended up 3rd in league and won playoffs. 

1st in 10 team isnt too bad to me, but in a 12 it can be tricky. 🤷‍♂️

We are a 12 team league. My last two seasons I drafted somewhere in the 4-7 range, can't remember exactly. Two years ago I chose Kamara and he was hurt most of the season. Last year I took Michael Thomas and the same thing.

I am vowing not to pick a Saint with my first choice this year.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

We are a 12 team league. My last two seasons I drafted somewhere in the 4-7 range, can't remember exactly. Two years ago I chose Kamara and he was hurt most of the season. Last year I took Michael Thomas and the same thing.

Brutal. The worst. 

3 years ago I think.. I had Kupp, Gurley, and Conner.. first 10/11 weeks absolutely dominated, kinda that first year where Rams offense went bonkers, beat the Chiefs . They all three get hurt and barely even made the playoffs. The way the cookie crumbles. 

2 hours ago, rico said:

Well I got a kick in the nuts last night.  Tammy informed me that "we" have a birthday party to attend the day of the draft.

As soon as draft day was announced I told my wife that the 14th was off limits for any plans she had.  And, then I prayed my daughter would not have a soccer game that night.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Been awhile since I've done this. I will be at work when the draft starts. Will have about a 15 minute meeting during the draft. What happens if I miss a pick?

It will auto draft the highest rated player in your que or if you don’t have anyone in your que then from the board. Shouldn’t be a huge deal as long as you don’t have book end picks and get like back to back qbs or something weird.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Been awhile since I've done this. I will be at work when the draft starts. Will have about a 15 minute meeting during the draft. What happens if I miss a pick?

Yahoo has a feature where you can set your preferred draft order and also identify players you do not want to draft.  Good feature if you need to auto draft, even if it is just for a pick or two.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Yahoo has a feature where you can set your preferred draft order and also identify players you do not want to draft.  Good feature if you need to auto draft, even if it is just for a pick or two.

I'm looking forward to it. Gives me something to do on downtime at work. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It will auto draft the highest rated player in your que or if you don’t have anyone in your que then from the board. Shouldn’t be a huge deal as long as you don’t have book end picks and get like back to back qbs or something weird.

I was listening to one of the Fantasy Football shows on satellite radio last week and they were talking about one of the big media draft contests for charity.  It was one of these drafts where there is like hours between picks,  Jim Bowden, former baseball GM is one of the hosts of the show.  He knew he was going to be on a plane for the first round and possibly the second, so he set up a queue to mitigate the possible damage. 

He had the 3rd overall pick.  So, he was obviously expecting one of the top of the board guys.  His plane lands and he checks his pick, and the computer apparently ignored both his queue and board's queue because he ended up getting Joe Mixon with the 3rd pick.

Not meant to scare @mrflynn03

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, rico said:

Is there a list out there somewhere that tells us who hasn't been vaccinated?  Just sayin'

Follow Tom Pelissero, he gives updates on team vaccination rates. Overall, as of today 80% of players have had at least 1 shot. Once training camp starts, it should be easier to identify who hasn't been vaccinated due to them not being able to talk to the media and having to walk around with masks on.

Found an article below from July 16th:

According to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero, 13 NFL teams have reached the 85% threshold as of Friday, July 16. The teams with the highest vaccination rates are the Pittsburgh Steelers, Miami Dolphins, Carolina Panthers, and Denver Broncos.

On the other side of these NFL rankings, the Washington Football Team and Indianapolis Colts are the last two remaining teams that have less than 50% of personnel vaccinated.

Overall, around 73.8% are vaccinated. This number tracks ahead of the general population. Currently, 67.9% of American adults have received at least one vaccine shot, per the New York Times.

The numbers on NFL vaccinations are changing daily. Reports had eight teams over the 85% threshold earlier in the week, and now that number is 13. Likewise, there were four teams under 50%. However, the Los Angeles Chargers and Arizona Cardinals were no longer on that list as of Friday.

• Thanks 2

On 7/20/2021 at 1:41 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

In one of my leagues that was the exact scenario for me as well. I have a dynasty league where I got Cam Akers last year....

Injuries are part of the deal but I'd like to have one semi injury free year again once the season starts. Of course I know what will happen. I'll be slotted to pick 5th and Kamara is going to be staring me in the face once again.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Anyone know of a website or resource for research?

I like CBS.  It's enough info without reaching the obsessive level some of the fantasy only sites get too.  But, there is a ton out there.  Just google Fantasy Football and you'll find a lot ranging from surface level information to getting neck deep in a lot of analytics.

Some of the sites put their best stuff behind a paywall though.  

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/draft-prep/

• Like 1