Are You Ready For Some Fantasy Football - HSN Style

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I still think this is about three weeks too early for a fantasy draft. 

Agreed but I understand especially the first year in getting it going we have to make some sacrifices. Heck by the end of cuts a bunch of guys might be moving to different teams and I hate preseason injuries and like to have as much info as possible in making my draft. I usually join a league the week before the first game. At least we are all in the same boat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

That sucks. 

My better half, who will often ask me a question, but rarely pay attention to my answer,  has already asked me 3 times this week what my plans for the weekend are.  I don't know if she's wanting to go out Saturday night or what.  But, the whole 'It's my fantasy football draft' is not registering with her.  

Well Fred means I'll be staying home so as long as the internet is going strong I should be good to go! Got my papers out, guys highlighted and just hoping for a things to fall my way lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

If worse case scenario is draft best available.  Make sure to only select 1 or 2 qbs since they will be ranked higher.  I too dont know how it works.  My thinking is if you take best available you can always go back and try and make trades with us.  

Any cutthroat dealings in the open are frowned upon.  Now cutthroat dealings in cigar smoked, seedy backrooms are applauded.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Yes.  You can load a list of players in advance.  What I dont know is if it is smart enough not to select 3 other tight ends after you already have Kelce.  That's assuming you put more tight ends on your list than just Kelce.  And, you would have to do that, because you are not guaranteed Kelce.

Edit:  I misread your post.  I thought you were asking the process if you had to auto-draft.  As far as prep, my understanding is that we will find our draft spot about 30 minutes in advance.

For anyone having to autodraft. Read this article and decide for yourself if you want to follow the suggestion. I am not endorsing it (although I would do something close to this myself if I couldn't draft my own players). I haven't autodrafted ever so I'm taking this poster at his word.  Click the article to go to reddit and read the answers to his question.

In summary. Yahoo will fill all your positions first before going back and taking back ups. So here are a few keys. Put all kickers on do not draft list. If you would normally draft a defense in the last couple rounds just put all defenses on do not draft list. Put all injured players or ones you don't want on do not draft list. To avoid too many TE's or QBs simply put a majority of them on your do not draft list. Rb's and WRs since that will make up most your bench you probably don't need to worry about as much. After completing your do not draft list, order the players in priority of who you want to draft. It isn't perfect by a long stretch. Sometimes there is a run on qbs early or rbs etc etc but at least this will help you avoid having 4 qbs and 6rbs and only 3 wrs like the guy in the question talks about. That is about all you can do honestly and then after the draft pick up a kicker and defense and maybe shuffle a couple guys at the bottom of your roster to get it closer to what you want. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by dgambill
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, dgambill said:

For anyone having to autodraft. Read this article and decide for yourself if you want to follow the suggestion. I am not endorsing it (although I would do something close to this myself if I couldn't draft my own players). I haven't autodrafted ever so I'm taking this poster at his word.  Click the article to go to reddit and read the answers to his question.

In summary. Yahoo will fill all your positions first before going back and taking back ups. So here are a few keys. Put all kickers on do not draft list. If you would normally draft a defense in the last couple rounds just put all defenses on do not draft list. Put all injured players or ones you don't want on do not draft list. To avoid too many TE's or QBs simply put a majority of them on your do not draft list. Rb's and WRs since that will make up most your bench you probably don't need to worry about as much. After completing your do not draft list, order the players in priority of who you want to draft. It isn't perfect by a long stretch. Sometimes there is a run on qbs early or rbs etc etc but at least this will help you avoid having 4 qbs and 6rbs and only 3 wrs like the guy in the question talks about. That is about all you can do honestly and then after the draft pick up a kicker and defense and maybe shuffle a couple guys at the bottom of your roster to get it closer to what you want. 🤷‍♂️

@rico.  This totally explains my comment that you would get a good defense and kicker.  They will get picked before any of your bench.  Saw this first hand when doing some mocks.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Yes.  You can load a list of players in advance.  What I dont know is if it is smart enough not to select 3 other tight ends after you already have Kelce.  That's assuming you put more tight ends on your list than just Kelce.  And, you would have to do that, because you are not guaranteed Kelce.

Edit:  I misread your post.  I thought you were asking the process if you had to auto-draft.  As far as prep, my understanding is that we will find our draft spot about 30 minutes in advance.

Yeah, what my main league has done in the past is use a third party draft randomizer a week before the draft.....then manually enter the order the day of the draft. This way it gives geeks like us to know where we are picking and only research the picks likely to fall to us, rather than the whole field.

For example, if I know I have the 10th pick there's no point in me looking into McCaffrey or Dalvin Cook because I have no chance of getting them......or even guys like AJ Brown (who are not good enough to go 10, but will be long gone before my 3rd pick). I need to be researching Gibson, Adams, Chubb, etc. 

I'm not suggesting you do this, but i'm not sure why Yahoo can't give leagues that option. It also makes the first 3 rounds go a heck of a lot faster because everybody has a better idea of who they want to take. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Yeah, what my main league has done in the past is use a third party draft randomizer a week before the draft.....then manually enter the order the day of the draft. This way it gives geeks like us to know where we are picking and only research the picks likely to fall to us, rather than the whole field.

For example, if I know I have the 10th pick there's no point in me looking into McCaffrey or Dalvin Cook because I have no chance of getting them......or even guys like AJ Brown (who are not good enough to go 10, but will be long gone before my 3rd pick). I need to be researching Gibson, Adams, Chubb, etc. 

I'm not suggesting you do this, but i'm not sure why Yahoo can't give leagues that option. It also makes the first 3 rounds go a heck of a lot faster because everybody has a better idea of who they want to take. 

This also allows us to sim mock drafts from our position so we can see what real people over several mocks will do. But yes the big thing is people draft faster because they already have an idea when their pick will come around each round so they have a short list of who they want in rd 1, 2, 3, 4 etc knowing which guys will be off the board.

Edited by dgambill

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

This also allows us to sim mock drafts from our position so we can see what real people over several mocks will do. But yes the big thing is people draft faster because they already have an idea when their pick will come around each round so they have a short list of who they want in rd 1, 2, 3, 4 etc knowing which guys will be off the board.

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I was originally disappointed we would not know, but the idea of finding out right before the draft has grown on me.

Whether you know your draft slot or not, you still should have an idea of what WRs are preducted to be available in the front end of the 5th round versus the back end of the 5th round. 

Your personal rankings should not change based on your draft position.  If you figure you would take Player X early in the 5th round, you dont totally right him off because you end up drafting late in the 5th.  He might still be there when your pick comes around.  If so, that's even better.  You got better value.  If he's gone, no big deal.  Just take the guy you expected to be there and who still is.

Most likely, once we get past pick 5 or 6 if the first round, everyone's plans are pretty well blown up anyway.  Imagine building your whole strategy on picking Mitch Trubisky with the #7 pick in the first round, only to see@bluegrassIUpick him at #6 when the draft actually starts.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I was originally disappointed we would not know, but the idea of finding out right before the draft has grown on me.

Whether you know your draft slot or not, you still should have an idea of what WRs are preducted to be available in the front end of the 5th round versus the back end of the 5th round. 

Your personal rankings should not change based on your draft position.  If you figure you would take Player X early in the 5th round, you dont totally right him off because you end up drafting late in the 5th.  He might still be there when your pick comes around.  If so, that's even better.  You got better value.  If he's gone, no big deal.  Just take the guy you expected to be there and who still is.

Most likely, once we get past pick 5 or 6 if the first round, everyone's plans are pretty well blown up anyway.  Imagine building your whole strategy on picking Mitch Trubisky with the #7 pick in the first round, only to see@bluegrassIUpick him at #6 when the draft actually starts.

You'd be pretty surprised to see how detailed draft sheets can be given what position someone is drafting from. I will say in most expert leagues or winner leagues that I join the variation is much more limited because most use similar strategies...so in a league where there is wide difference in skill and strategy I agree it will be very chaotic and I imagine there will be guys that I won't expect to be there still sitting there and some of my sleeper or later picks might come off way too early blowing up my later round estimates. In the end it will all be fine. Done plenty of drafts with no idea my position. Just saying when you do know...there are literally mocks for each specific draft spot and what guys should and could be there given their ADP etc. Like I said I can practice picking from x position and see dozens of scenarios and get an idea of which two or three guys will be on the top of my board and zero in and spend hours focused on those players instead of just spending hours on the entire draft because at this point.....EVERYONE is on my board. Example...I pick 2....so my first pick is likely McCaffery, Cook, Henry basically....I no longer need to even study guys in the 5-15 range because they will certainly be gone. So me studying guys like Tyreek Hill vs Devonte Adams or Chubb vs Jones is pointless they will be gone before my pick comes back....so I should be studying guys like maybe Mixon vs Montgomery or Metcalf vs AJ Brown. Conversely if I pick at 10 the whole thing flips. Anyways there is value and its value for everyone and for a speedier draft....just something to think about for the next time if it's possible. I honestly even trust the commissioners to simply draw names themselves and set the draft order. I don't think anyone here would cheat over a game lol. Anyways....good luck guys!!

@dgambill. You touched on an important point.  This is not an expert league, and even more importantly, it's a NEW league.  We have no idea of the tendencies of the other guys drafting.  And, it's not the league where we have to factor the unknown in for one new guy.   We have to do it for everyone.

Now, if we do it again next year, everyone will know 5fouls is that crazy guy that drafted 7 Houston Texan players.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

@dgambill. You touched on an important point.  This is not an expert league, and even more importantly, it's a NEW league.  We have no idea of the tendencies of the other guys drafting.  And, it's not the league where we have to factor the unknown in for one new guy.   We have to do it for everyone.

Now, if we do it again next year, everyone will know 5fouls is that crazy guy that drafted 7 Houston Texan players.

Why aren't you in my division again??? lol I always want an early pick but that advantage can go away pretty darn quick if they get hurt an suddenly your best player is a guy ranked in the 20s.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Why aren't you in my division again??? lol I always want an early pick but that advantage can go away pretty darn quick if they get hurt an suddenly your best player is a guy ranked in the 20s.

I'm actually in both HSN leagues.  I'm hoping for different draft slots in each.  But, if they happen to be similar, I'm going to make it a point to use different strategies to keep it interesting.

Seriously, 2-3 weeks ago, I felt very good about my overall plan.  But, now I'm not liking it as much.  Too much information coming out of training camps that has me second guessing everything.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm actually in both HSN leagues.  I'm hoping for different draft slots in each.  But, if they happen to be similar, I'm going to make it a point to use different strategies to keep it interesting.

Seriously, 2-3 weeks ago, I felt very good about my overall plan.  But, now I'm not liking it as much.  Too much information coming out of training camps that has me second guessing everything.

You are aren't you!! I don't know how I missed you in both. That second draft should perhaps be a little easier but again who knows what crazy stuff will happen.

Draft Day gents.  Hope it's just the first in a new annual HSN tradition.  Best of luck to everyone.  I can't think of another group of guys I would rather do this with.

That said, here is a Draft Day poem

May all your passes be complete

May your RBs always score

May all your kicks split the posts

May your Defense slam the door

But, remember it's all just fun and games

Win or lose each week with class

But, tonight if you draft a player I want

I'm liable to kick your ass

• Like 2
  • Haha 2