Are You Ready For Some Fantasy Football - HSN Style

41 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I've been very successful with drafting rookies and stashing them.. 

I had Dobbins, Akers, Taylor, Swift, and picked up Jeff Wilson last season. Plus I had Saquan and Aaron Jones.

Basically.. what I meant was.. I know how hard it is to put things together/organize everything. So, I don't have a right to complain.

My preference would be a 17 player roster, but the roster is 14.. so I'll adapt. I agree with what you're saying about the IR stuff, for sure. 

She really can do everything. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Leagues with an odd number of players (15, 17, etc.) give an inherent advantage to those with early draft slots.  They essentially get an extra round of 'Picking First'.  That said, 16 is likely optimal, but if it was 16, then having IR spots is overkill.  I've not played a lot of fantasy in the past, and I was skeptical about the 14 at first.  But, the more I played around with mock drafts, the more I liked it.  Basically, everyone on your roster to start the season has a defined role.  No one is extra padding for a security blanket.  I think it will add to the challenge.

14 is plenty…otherwise the waiver wire becomes essentially useless. This way people also have to make some decisions about dropping and picking up people and that in turn can turn over other teams rosters who might want a guy cut. Too big rosters mean little to no activity and imo gets boring. Half the fun is waking up on Tuesday to see who hit the waiver wire and then on wed/Thur to see if you landed him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

14 is plenty…otherwise the waiver wire becomes essentially useless. This way people also have to make some decisions about dropping and picking up people and that in turn can turn over other teams rosters who might want a guy cut. Too big rosters mean little to no activity and imo gets boring. Half the fun is waking up on Tuesday to see who hit the waiver wire and then on wed/Thur to see if you landed him.

Disagree completely about the waiver wire. It makes you do way more research. There's pickups to be had.. especially in a 12 team league. 

Makes each move you get so valuable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Disagree completely about the waiver wire. It makes you do way more research. There's pickups to be had.. especially in a 12 team league. 

Makes each move you get so valuable. 

Agree to disagree. If you have 16-18 players on a roster with only essentially 7 active players (not counting def and kicker) then how many players are ever going to see the field/starting lineup? The drop off from rb2 to a rb 3 or even more so 4 or 5…it’s huge and makes them basically useless as you would never play them unless there is an injury. I just don’t see the point of 8-9 guys sitting on your bench. Having those all sitting on the waiver wire is much more interesting…more strategy is involved…because I thinking dropping a guy to pick up a waiver wire guy should feel like a true gamble…when you only have a couple back ups it would mean you really have to think twice if you want to drop a guy/starter if one is out for 4-6 weeks say for example. There are many years if my team is healthy I only have to make bye week adjustments and my bench never plays and I still finish at the top of my league. Just my opinion and it doesn’t really mean anything but I feel like less players on a team raises the stakes and makes a more intense competition. If I’m just churning my wr 5 and 6 all season but they aren’t even playing does it really matter. However if you are talking about a decision about dropping my wr 3 or 4….that might make me really sweat it out.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

Agree to disagree. If you have 16-18 players on a roster with only essentially 7 active players (not counting def and kicker) then how many players are ever going to see the field/starting lineup? The drop off from rb2 to a rb 3 or even more so 4 or 5…it’s huge and makes them basically useless as you would never play them unless there is an injury. I just don’t see the point of 8-9 guys sitting on your bench. Having those all sitting on the waiver wire is much more interesting…more strategy is involved…because I thinking dropping a guy to pick up a waiver wire guy should feel like a true gamble…when you only have a couple back ups it would mean you really have to think twice if you want to drop a guy/starter if one is out for 4-6 weeks say for example. There are many years if my team is healthy I only have to make bye week adjustments and my bench never plays and I still finish at the top of my league. Just my opinion and it doesn’t really mean anything but I feel like less players on a team raises the stakes and makes a more intense competition. If I’m just churning my wr 5 and 6 all season but they aren’t even playing does it really matter. However if you are talking about a decision about dropping my wr 3 or 4….that might make me really sweat it out.

This isn't a complain about our league or any league for that matter...but two extra bench spots means I could have added Callaway from Saints 2 weeks ago....and kept Mack as handcuff to Taylor in addition to getting Gus Edwards handcuff. Just a different viewpoint is all. I do like the smaller bench with regards to waiver priority. Do people keep making moves each week? Or save their turn in pecking order to be #1 when the sure fire waiver claim happens as it does every single year by week 3-4.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This isn't a complain about our league or any league for that matter...but two extra bench spots means I could have added Callaway from Saints 2 weeks ago....and kept Mack as handcuff to Taylor in addition to getting Gus Edwards handcuff. Just a different viewpoint is all. I do like the smaller bench with regards to waiver priority. Do people keep making moves each week? Or save their turn in pecking order to be #1 when the sure fire waiver claim happens as it does every single year by week 3-4.

Oh no doubt it would make your life much easier...and there still will be guys on the waiver wire that are worth picking up for some teams.  Maybe next year we won't have to draft so early and can wait til the weekend before or something...that would have saved you some pain. I know your not in my division but we still have Mack, Lindsay, and Mckissic on our waiver wire...and several other backs that are one injury away from meaningful playing time...so no...no one that can replace Dobbins numbers for sure...but hopefully you have a good rb3 that will step into that role and you can use a guy such as the ones I listed as a streamer occassionaly during a bye week.

My only point is if you dilute the waiver wire by taking another 24 guys out of it (12 teams *2) then it almost becomes meaningless. Plus in almost every league I play (hopefully not this one) but at least 3-4 guys stop playing half way through etc and then you have guys sitting at the end of someone's bench that isn't even playing that could have been maybe on the waiver wire and able to help a guy trying to win. This becomes ESPECIALLY important late in the season when you have a playoff team but get a critical late season injury or have a bad matchup come playoff time. It is a trade off for certain and I'm sorry the injury happened to your guy (at least it is early and you can formulate a plan or start working the trade channels now). A shrewed trade of maybe a wr1+rb3 might lure someone into giving up a starting rb and a solid wr if they are loaded at RB. I just think having less players on a team makes the stakes that much higher on who you draft, keep, and who you cut which outweighs having a huge roster for every team and no need to even use the waiver wire. I really like it when those waiver wires are active...churns over a lot of players and occassionaly you get a guy who gives up too soon on someone etc...but if their bench is even deeper than now...not much reason to use it.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

Now that I've secured word to the wise in other leagues. Go get Jakobi Meyers if available on waivers in other leagues.

With Mac Jones now being the QB Damien Harris gets a bump because Newton won't be vulturing goal line TD's....and if forced to go a different route in upcoming drafts and miss out on Kelce/Waller/Kittle.....Jonnu Smith could be a late round addition worth your while. 

43 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Now that I've secured word to the wise in other leagues. Go get Jakobi Meyers if available on waivers in other leagues.

With Mac Jones now being the QB Damien Harris gets a bump because Newton won't be vulturing goal line TD's....and if forced to go a different route in upcoming drafts and miss out on Kelce/Waller/Kittle.....Jonnu Smith could be a late round addition worth your while. 

James White?

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

James White?

I think so if you have the space. He's always valuable out of the backfield in PPR formats and if Damien gets hurt (just like any handcuff) he's instant RB1 touches....no guarantee on the production but definitely the touches.

Speaking of handcuffs. Getting nervous on one of mind. Wouldn't it be funny if I drafted a handcuff in Murray (Kamara)....pickup Edwards as cuff for JK.....and both Edwards and Murray split time in Ravens backfield making all moves basically RBBC?? Haha. Weird rumors floating out of New Orleans right now with Murray.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think so if you have the space. He's always valuable out of the backfield in PPR formats and if Damien gets hurt (just like any handcuff) he's instant RB1 touches....no guarantee on the production but definitely the touches.

Speaking of handcuffs. Getting nervous on one of mind. Wouldn't it be funny if I drafted a handcuff in Murray (Kamara)....pickup Edwards as cuff for JK.....and both Edwards and Murray split time in Ravens backfield making all moves basically RBBC?? Haha. Weird rumors floating out of New Orleans right now with Murray.

The Saints cut Freeman which I thought would cement Murray’s spot there

• Like 1

This is kind of why I understand those wanting to wait til a little closer to regular season before drafting. Drafting before we even know the depth chart or who is being waived or kept (when many teams are notorious for misinformation coming out of camps) makes it very difficult. That said I know it was important to get the inaugural league up off the ground. Maybe next year we do it the weekend before the regular season hopefully.

So, tonight was the draft for the 2 QB league I referenced a few pages back.  10 team PPR league with 1 Flex spot.  If you've never been in a 2 QB league, QB's go much earlier than in other formats.  But, I had decided to forego the mad early scramble for QBs and go RB/RB in the first two rounds.  Picking 4th and Cook fell to me.  Easy decision.  I was hoping to get Chubb or Taylor to fall to me in round 2, and sure enough Chubb was still there.  But, I was shocked to see Zeke there as well. 

Even though I had Zeke ranked several positions higher than Chubb, I went against instinct and took Chubb, because I was targeting Dak for round 3.  Well, Dak went two picks later, so I missed out on him, but I was flabbergasted to see Zeke still there with the 4th pick in round 3.  So, even though I already had 2 stud backs, I could not imagine passing on Zeke.  The best WR left was Justin Jefferson, but I already had Cook from Minnesota.  The best QB left was A. Rodgers.   Kelce and Kittle were off the board for TE, but Waller was still out there.  

Well, I said screw it.  The Flex was built for moments like this and I grabbed Zeke. I personally thought I had an unbelievable start, and the rest of my draft went even better than I thought.  Here it is.

QBs:  Tannehill, Stafford, Ryan

RBs:  Cook, Chubb, Zeke, and M. Gordon.  

WRs: A. Robinson, Godwin, Julio Jones, M, Thomas, and Devonte Smith

TEs:  Pitts, Higbee

Def: Dolphins (May just try and stream here.  I was last team to take a D).

K: Zuerlein

So, I'm very happy with this draft.  I lack a WR1, though Robinson could be and Thomas could be as well when he comes back.  And, I'll be able to stash him on IR until he does and fill in added depth somewhere else.  

But, ESPN apparently does not agree with me.  They project me to finish in 7th place.  7th out of 10?  I don't see how that is possible.  I mean, I didn't even need to think about using a roster spot to handcuff my RBs, because I have two other studs if one gets hurt.

Someone help me out here.  What are the major flaws with this team?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

So, tonight was the draft for the 2 QB league I referenced a few pages back.  10 team PPR league with 1 Flex spot.  If you've never been in a 2 QB league, QB's go much earlier than in other formats.  But, I had decided to forego the mad early scramble for QBs and go RB/RB in the first two rounds.  Picking 4th and Cook fell to me.  Easy decision.  I was hoping to get Chubb or Taylor to fall to me in round 2, and sure enough Chubb was still there.  But, I was shocked to see Zeke there as well. 

Even though I had Zeke ranked several positions higher than Chubb, I went against instinct and took Chubb, because I was targeting Dak for round 3.  Well, Dak went two picks later, so I missed out on him, but I was flabbergasted to see Zeke still there with the 4th pick in round 3.  So, even though I already had 2 stud backs, I could not imagine passing on Zeke.  The best WR left was Justin Jefferson, but I already had Cook from Minnesota.  The best QB left was A. Rodgers.   Kelce and Kittle were off the board for TE, but Waller was still out there.  

Well, I said screw it.  The Flex was built for moments like this and I grabbed Zeke. I personally thought I had an unbelievable start, and the rest of my draft went even better than I thought.  Here it is.

So, I'm very happy with this draft.  I lack a WR1, though Robinson could be and Thomas could be as well when he comes back.  And, I'll be able to stash him on IR until he does and fill in added depth somewhere else.  

But, ESPN apparently does not agree with me.  They project me to finish in 7th place.  7th out of 10?  I don't see how that is possible.  I mean, I didn't even need to think about using a roster spot to handcuff my RBs, because I have two other studs if one gets hurt.

The only issue is Chubb and Zeke neither catch a lot of passes and it’s full PPR. Sometimes you just have to play the board the way it is and hard to argue with what you did. Also I wouldn’t be afraid to seek a trade later on if you see an opportunity. Someone is inevitably going to need a rb1 and you are pretty loaded.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

My only thought on why 7th place forecast is the difference in QB's just because it's a 2 QB league. Like the team on paper but it has to be the scoring system used for 2 QB leagues.

I have a draft late tonight. Full Point PPR and 6 points for QB passing TD's. The little differences add up real quick in terms of forecasting or drafting a grade. I don't see any  weakness on your team and nobody should have better RB play. Only question will QB's...and it'ss not like your 3 are bums. 

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

The only issue is Chubb and Zeke neither catch a lot of passes and it’s full PPR. Sometimes you just have to play the board the way it is and hard to argue with what you did. Also I wouldn’t be afraid to seek a trade later on if you see an opportunity. Someone is inevitably going to need a rb1 and you are pretty loaded.

Yep. Give it about 2-3 weeks until at least one stud RB goes down....and dangle one of those RB's in front of someone. They'll bite.

• Like 1