Are You Ready For Some Fantasy Football - HSN Style

On 8/10/2021 at 9:06 AM, Seeking6 said:

More of general fantasy comment. One of my leagues they do draft order way in advance. Not a fan of it but oh well. Anyway I'm at the dreaded 5th spot. I think we talked on 3-4 pages ago but assuming CMac, Cook, Henry go 1-3 in most drafts....the real fun starts at 4. 

I refuse to have Zeke or Barkley on my team so I wouldn't pick them. Kamara is next....and I have no clue what to do with him. Somebody is going to touch the ball in New Orleans and the division always scores tons of points....do you go Kamara at 4/5? Or at the 5th if no Kamara do you start looking at Adams/Hill?

Two things to remember...NO doesn't have check down Brees anymore and it is probably a good bet that Michael Thomas will be traded. Take that for whatever you think it's worth.

I think Ekeler will have a bounce back year...hopefully healthy. Young qb, and look at once he got semi-healthy and came back at the end of the year...he looked very much like his 2019 self.

Final note...one thing I've learned about fantasy. You can't be a hater and a winner. Inevitably you want to win you have to take guys on teams you don't like or maybe personalities you don't like that produce. I'll leave it at that. Maybe two guys being equal....ok down the draft but when you have a clear drop off....gotta take that guy that will score you points. Only you can decide how much of a difference you perceive there will be but man if you think Zeke is set to have a bounce back year with Dak back and in an offense that will have to put up tons of points because their defense will suck...well you will have to decide.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Two things to remember...NO doesn't have check down Brees anymore and it is probably a good bet that Michael Thomas will be traded. Take that for whatever you think it's worth.

I think Ekeler will have a bounce back year...hopefully healthy. Young qb, and look at once he got semi-healthy and came back at the end of the year...he looked very much like his 2019 self.

Final note...one thing I've learned about fantasy. You can't be a hater and a winner. Inevitably you want to win you have to take guys on teams you don't like or maybe personalities you don't like that produce. I'll leave it at that. Maybe two guys being equal....ok down the draft but when you have a clear drop off....gotta take that guy that will score you points. Only you can decide how much of a difference you perceive there will be but man if you think Zeke is set to have a bounce back year with Dak back and in an offense that will have to put up tons of points because their defense will suck...well you will have to decide.

Notes to self if I'm drafting after @Seeking6 and/or @dgambill

• Seeking6 will not draft Zeke
  • Dgambill will draft Zeke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Notes to self if I'm drafting after @Seeking6 and/or @dgambill

• Seeking6 will not draft Zeke
  • Dgambill will draft Zeke.

Maybe....depends on who else is on the board lol. My only reference is that I would not limit myself based on whether I hate Tom Brady or like Peyton Manning etc etc. I base my decision on how successful I think they might be. I do think Zeke (barring injury) will have a bounce back year...but I think that anyone would come to the same conclusion given he has his qb back. Some might think a person is going to drop off due to age, different offense, change in circumstances etc but I would not eliminate someone because I can't stand the Cowboys lol.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Understand. The thing that amazes me is the same people saying don't take Kamara (volume play) are the same that have no problem taking CMC at 1 because he's a volume play. I get the Brees deal....have for years. I've been on Ekeler for past 2 seasons and have been snake bitten. 

To me Zeke and Barkley are a matter of trust. I don't trust either. Injuries and other things plus I think this Dak issue is deeper. Glad most of my drafts are 3-4 weeks out. Plenty to chew on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I won't take Zeke or Barkley..book it....and I'll never reach for a QB early although this 6 point deal in our league has me moving up a tad in that department. 

I may be saying this because I believe it to be true.

Or, I could be saying this because I want to trick people into leaving Mahomes on the board for an extra round.

But, I'm not seeing the 2 extra points for QB being a huge factor unless someone goes totally nuts and gets over 50 TDs.  But, assuming normalcy, the top QBs will get 40-45, while the lower-end QB1's will get 25-30.  We're talking about basically an average of one extra TD a week, resulting in an extra 2 points that week.  So, if I'm drafting close to one of the turns, i may flip my QB with my other pick.  But, if I'm in the middle, I don't see myself moving QB up a full round because of that.  

Now, of course, since I said it, I will lose by 1.5 points about 6 times this year.    

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I may be saying this because I believe it to be true.

Or, I could be saying this because I want to trick people into leaving Mahomes on the board for an extra round.

But, I'm not seeing the 2 extra points for QB being a huge factor unless someone goes totally nuts and gets over 50 TDs.  But, assuming normalcy, the top QBs will get 40-45, while the lower-end QB1's will get 25-30.  We're talking about basically an average of one extra TD a week, resulting in an extra 2 points that week.  So, if I'm drafting close to one of the turns, i may flip my QB with my other pick.  But, if I'm in the middle, I don't see myself moving QB up a full round because of that.  

Now, of course, since I said it, I will lose by 1.5 points about 6 times this year.    

Tough one to balance for sure. Need to start looking at some mocks soon. 

45 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Can someone simply clarify rules?  I feel like some general fantasy conversations have spilled over in here and now Im confused?  

Also, when is draft? 

Full PPR.

Draft time depends on who your commish is.  Kevs draft is 7 this Saturday evening.  KDBs draft follows at 8:30.

If you log into your Yahoo account to pull up your team and go to the league settings it outlines the full scoring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Draft reminder for those that may have forgotten

Two HSN leagues drafting this Saturday, August 14th at the times shown below.  You probably know which one you are in, but I've listed each player just in case.  Please note that times are EDT for those of you that may be in a different time zone.  

HSN#1  

Saturday 7:00 PM EDT (Draft order should be available about 6:30)

@Indykev

@5fouls

@rico

@Sagamore

@NotIThatLives

@ledies22

@Leathernecks

@PAHoosier

@Parakeet Jones

@dgambill

@bluegrassIU

@Billingsley99

HSN Fantasy Football

Saturday 8:30 PM EDT (Draft order should be available about 8:00)

@KDB

@KoB2011

@5fouls

@BeerBQ

@Seeking6

@Steubenhoosier

@B_A

@mrflynn03

@btownqb

@Hoosier51

@Indykev

@tdhoosier

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Draft reminder for those that may have forgotten

Two HSN leagues drafting this Saturday, August 14th at the times shown below.  You probably know which one you are in, but I've listed each player just in case.  Please note that times are EDT for those of you that may be in a different time zone.  

HSN#1  

Saturday 7:00 PM EDT (Draft order should be available about 6:30)

@Indykev

@5fouls

@rico

@Sagamore

@NotIThatLives

@ledies22

@Leathernecks

@PAHoosier

@Parakeet Jones

@dgambill

@bluegrassIU

@Billingsley99

HSN Fantasy Football

Saturday 8:30 PM EDT (Draft order should be available about 8:00)

@KDB

@KoB2011

@5fouls

@BeerBQ

@Seeking6

@Steubenhoosier

@B_A

@mrflynn03

@btownqb

@Hoosier51

@Indykev

@tdhoosier

That was really nice of you to put those in reverse order of finish. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I still think this is about three weeks too early for a fantasy draft. 

No money involved and we are all in the same boat.  No real harm, no real foul.  And, our commissioners had a legit reason for needing to do it now.  

I, for one, keep tweaking my strategy doing mocks, and my results are getting worse, not better.  I think I would have been better off two weeks ago.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, rico said:

Keeps looking more and more like I will have to do the auto draft.

That sucks. 

My better half, who will often ask me a question, but rarely pay attention to my answer,  has already asked me 3 times this week what my plans for the weekend are.  I don't know if she's wanting to go out Saturday night or what.  But, the whole 'It's my fantasy football draft' is not registering with her.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That sucks. 

My better half, who will often ask me a question, but rarely pay attention to my answer,  has already asked me 3 times this week what my plans for the weekend are.  I don't know if she's wanting to go out Saturday night or what.  But, the whole 'It's my fantasy football draft' is not registering with her.  

Well there is a silver lining in this I suppose.  I can use the auto draft as an excuse as to why my team sucks...

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, rico said:

Well there is a silver lining in this I suppose.  I can use the auto draft as an excuse as to why my team sucks...

You may have a good defense and a good kicker.  I was playing around with some mocks on Yahoo and noticed the auto draft likes to take defense and kicker earlier than what you probably would if you were picking.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

You may have a good defense and a good kicker.  I was playing around with some mocks on Yahoo and noticed the auto draft likes to take defense and kicker earlier than what you probably would if you were picking.  

Well that is damn comforting.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I may just make the draft….hopefully there in time for the first pick. 

That said, I believe on Yahoo you can set the draft order earlier. Is that possible so we can do a little prep beforehand? Preparing for the second pick is much different than the 11th because you are researching a completely different group of players. 

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

That said, I believe on Yahoo you can set the draft order earlier. Is that possible so we can do a little prep beforehand? Preparing for the second pick is much different than the 11th because you are researching a completely different group of players. 

Edit: never mind, I don’t think yahoo is able to do that….i was thinking about another platform i used in the past. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Yes.  You can load a list of players in advance.  What I dont know is if it is smart enough not to select 3 other tight ends after you already have Kelce.  That's assuming you put more tight ends on your list than just Kelce.  And, you would have to do that, because you are not guaranteed Kelce.

Edit:  I misread your post.  I thought you were asking the process if you had to auto-draft.  As far as prep, my understanding is that we will find our draft spot about 30 minutes in advance.

Edited by 5fouls