New Playoff Format

10 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Interested in everyones thoughts. I like the expansion. I think 12 is too much. 

I want to see it in action first...but I was getting tired of seeing the same teams in the 4 team play-off.  I see a conference commish has already whined about playing in cold weather due to the on campus scenarios.  Originally I thought 8 would be the number and then someone talked me into 16.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rico said:

I want to see it in action first...but I was getting tired of seeing the same teams in the 4 team play-off.  

Most people would agree, if you're not an OSU, Clemson, and Bama fan. I like how it seems there is more of a set standard and less arbitrary, like it currently is. But also, preseason rankings will be all more so important. 

16 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Most people would agree, if you're not an OSU, Clemson, and Bama fan. I like how it seems there is more of a set standard and less arbitrary, like it currently is. But also, preseason rankings will be all more so important. 

I feel the opposite on the preseason rankings.  To me they would become less important.  

I like it for the simple reason less players will feel like it is acceptable to opt out of playing bowl games if they are in a playoffs with a shot at a NC. That should cause guys to think long and hard about bailing on their teammates when a title could be on the line as opposed to well it’s just a bowl game. Plus making the playoffs will be a big deal then the random bowl selection where you can get dicked over by a poor bowl.

On 6/11/2021 at 5:45 PM, Hoosierinbham said:

Love it. Let Georgia or Florida go play Wisconsin or Penn State in December on the road.  Instead of B1G teams cramping down south, the southern boys will freeze up north.  Better have a strong run game in a snow storm!

I do like the thought of that. Almost all Bowl games are in weather friendly environments. Be nice to see an SEC team come up north and play at Wisconsin or Notre Dame. Be nice. Also can you imagine the crowds....game day environment for a playoff game would be bananas.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I do like the thought of that. Almost all Bowl games are in weather friendly environments. Be nice to see an SEC team come up north and play at Wisconsin or NotreDame Indiana. Be nice. Also can you imagine the crowds....game day environment for a playoff game would be bananas.

Fixed it for you

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2021 at 5:47 PM, btownqb said:

If they're the best teams, and they usually are, they should be in. 

Agreed. There can be times when that West division can have multiple top 10 teams (Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M) and say there could be one of those have a bad game in October and not make the SEC championship game which normally is a kiss of death in making the 4 team playoff. Heck I'm fine if the final 4 teams all end up being SEC teams if that was to play out...if that is the best 4 teams and everyone that has a legit shot at it had their shot. More than anything it just keeps people invested in the season longer. I mean you can almost pencil in Clemson, Alabama, Ohio St and basically everyone else is playing for 1 spot...at least with this there is a real chance for everyone even if you drop a game or even if you are a smaller conference if you run the table.

Looking at recent history based on the rules that they are setting up this is how many teams each conference could likely see make the playoffs now....

In the last 7 years

20 B1G (Including us last year)  2.85/y almost 3 teams

19 SEC   2.71/y so again almost 3 teams

12 Big 12  1.71/y so almost 2 teams

11 Pac 10  1.57/y so 1 1/2 teams

11 ACC  1.57/y so  1 1/2 teams

8 Group of 5 (AAC-5, Sun Belt-1, Mt West-1, MAC-1) including 2 last year with Cincy & Coastal Carolina  1.14/y so 1 team

3 Notre Dame   .42/y so basically once every 2-3 years

That seems like a very good representation of college football to me and while yes Alabama, OSU, or Clemson is still likely to win it every year at least every other signficant conference champ gets a piece of the pie and has a MEANINGFUL game at the end of the season (and also potentially a bigger revenue generating game considering a home playoff game would sell out BIG and for BIG $$.

Edited by dgambill