General College Baseball Thread

btownqb

I could absolutely see the UT coach Tony Vitello going to LSU. LSU will be LOADED next year and they are an absolute powerhouse. Top 3 program. 

Now.. Knoxville is going to pony up. But will it be enough? I know Vitello has already begun the process of telling the Admin what he wants in a stadium. We'll see. 

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

I could absolutely see the UT coach Tony Vitello going to LSU. LSU will be LOADED next year and they are an absolute powerhouse. Top 3 program. 

Now.. Knoxville is going to pony up. But will it be enough? I know Vitello has already begun the process of telling the Admin what he wants in a stadium. We'll see. 

Surprisingly, Vitello's name has not come up for the LSU job. Rumor is that the job will go to either Mike Bianco of Ole Miss or Cliff Godwin of East Carolina.

Bianco played at LSU in the late 80's for the legendary Skip Bertman and later assisted under Bertman. He's guided Ole Miss for the past 20 seasons building an incredible program. Godwin served as Bianco's hitting coach for the 2014 Ole Miss team that finished third in Omaha before heading to Greenville, North Carolina to take over the program at his alma mater.

I am an Ole Miss baseball fan and have followed the program closely for many years now. Despite the lopsided game 3 loss to Arizona in the Super Regionals, this season may have been Mike's best coaching job. He overcame the loss of Gunnar Hoglund (expected to be a first round pick next month) to Tommy John while his top hitter played the last month of the season on one ACL. Not to mention the loss of a top reliever very early in the season. Despite building a program that has been the model of consistency (17 NCAA tournament appearances in 20 years, 7 Super Regionals, and 1 College World Series), a growing segment of the Ole Miss fan base has grown dissatisfied with Mike's ability to guide the team to Omaha consistently. Given the incredible fan base support, top notch facilities, and talented rosters, this isn't entirely an irrational point of view. Thus, I could see the chance to coach his alma mater as being very appealing to him.

At LSU, Bianco would have some built in scholarship advantages that are not available to him at Ole Miss. Not all baseball programs are on equal footing with regards to scholarship money, but that is for another post. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

If Mike does indeed head to Baton Rouge, I'd expect Ole Miss's first call to be to Louisville coach Dan McDonnell. McDonnell previously assisted Bianco at Ole Miss. The second call would be to Cliff Godwin. 

Edited by Kendal22

33 minutes ago, Kendal22 said:

Surprisingly, Vitello's name has not come up for the LSU job. Rumor is that the job will go to either Mike Bianco of Ole Miss or Cliff Godwin of East Carolina.

Bianco played at LSU in the late 80's for the legendary Skip Bertman and later assisted under Bertman. He's guided Ole Miss for the past 20 seasons building an incredible program. Godwin served as Bianco's hitting coach for the 2014 Ole Miss team that finished third in Omaha before heading to Greenville, North Carolina to take over the program at his alma mater.

I am an Ole Miss baseball fan and have followed the program closely for many years now. Despite the lopsided game 3 loss to Arizona in the Super Regionals, this season may have been Mike's best coaching job. He overcame the loss of Gunnar Hoglund (expected to be a first round pick next month) to Tommy John while his top hitter played the last month of the season on one ACL. Not to mention the loss of a top reliever very early in the season. Despite building a program that has been the model of consistency (17 NCAA tournament appearances in 20 years, 7 Super Regionals, and 1 College World Series), a growing segment of the Ole Miss fan base has grown dissatisfied with Mike's ability to guide the team to Omaha consistently. Given the incredible fan base support, top notch facilities, and talented rosters, this isn't entirely an irrational point of view. Thus, I could see the chance to coach his alma mater as being very appealing to him.

At LSU, Bianco would have some built in scholarship advantages that are not available to him at Ole Miss. Not all baseball programs are on equal footing with regards to scholarship money, but that is for another post. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

If Mike does indeed head to Baton Rouge, I'd expect Ole Miss's first call to be to Louisville coach Dan McDonnell. McDonnell previously assisted Bianco at Ole Miss. The second call would be to Cliff Godwin. 

I'd want Vitello.