2022 scholarships

68Hoosier

scholarship05172021.jpg

Based on the open spots for next year we are currently full with one over.  Someone is leaving (TJD??).  We are in on several 2022 recruits with several offers on the table.  Based on that where do we see the spots coming from.  I know some of the Seniors will be 5th year based on Covid and may want to move on but what does everyone else see as a possibility?  I don't see Stewart, Johnson, Kopp or Durr leaving after just transferring (could be wrong).  Do we have any others that may be able to just to the NBA?

28 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

scholarship05172021.jpg

Based on the open spots for next year we are currently full with one over.  Someone is leaving (TJD??).  We are in on several 2022 recruits with several offers on the table.  Based on that where do we see the spots coming from.  I know some of the Seniors will be 5th year based on Covid and may want to move on but what does everyone else see as a possibility?  I don't see Stewart, Johnson, Kopp or Durr leaving after just transferring (could be wrong).  Do we have any others that may be able to just to the NBA?

I think KJ is gone. Stewart more than likely gone. Kopp 50/50. Durr staying. TJD gone. Phinisee and Thompson more than likely gone. 

In my mind 5-6 would be leaving

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm going to guess they WILL count unless there's another pandemic.  Extra year, yes, but I believe they will count.  Otherwise, you could have some stupidly large squads.

I believe so but doesn't it negatively effect how many scholarships will be available for incoming freshman? If there is only 13 scholarships and no one graduates there will be fewer openings for incoming freshman and less offers. Guess I wonder why the NCAA wouldn't expand the number of scholarships to each school by say 2 or something to try not to negatively effect incoming kids. 

Also, thought it was kind of interesting that 30% of the kids in the portal....still don't have a team....wonder if a lot of them didn't think everything through because it appears that many schools are saying...you know...yeah you might be older kids but we would still rather roll the dice on these freshman than load up on portal kids. Will a lot be going back to the school they left...will they drop down to Div 2? A lot of questions and time is a ticking.

Anyone concerned or have an issue with how we have seemingly been prioritizing out of state recruits over Indiana kids?? Not saying I do but wonder if that could come across to in-state HS coaches or anything. We have a couple local recruits but since the addition of Yasir and Kenya the attention has definitely been quite a broader base lets just say. (again not saying its a bad thing just would like to hear from those around HS basketball if that is or could become an issue)

Ok so I am not the only one who did not know who KJ was.  Good...

When we landed Stewart I thought the talk was we would have him for two years.  Did last year count even though he didn't play?

From the current players why do we feel like RP and RT would be leaving unless they have a sure spot in the pros.  Why not say as a 5th year player and get a masters?

53 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Anyone concerned or have an issue with how we have seemingly been prioritizing out of state recruits over Indiana kids?? Not saying I do but wonder if that could come across to in-state HS coaches or anything. We have a couple local recruits but since the addition of Yasir and Kenya the attention has definitely been quite a broader base lets just say. (again not saying its a bad thing just would like to hear from those around HS basketball if that is or could become an issue)

Well we have Gunn already committed and Washington I'd a top priority so it doesn't seem Le we are neglecting the state

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Haha...as a topic for discussion this is really one of the "oldies but goodies", isn't it.  Have at it, boys!   😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well we have Gunn already committed and Washington I'd a top priority so it doesn't seem Le we are neglecting the state

Gunn committed under Archie yes? I don’t get the feeling Washington is a high Priority. Don’t get me wrong we would love to have him but I don’t think he is Top of the board full court press on him. Could be wrong.

30 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Apparently the 2022 and 2023 classes in Indiana are historically bad, so it makes sense for IU to spread the footprint for those years. 

I was going to say the same thing.  I have not looked at the 22 class closely and besides Washington, Gunn and Walker are there many other power 5 players in the class.

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Gunn committed under Archie yes? I don’t get the feeling Washington is a high Priority. Don’t get me wrong we would love to have him but I don’t think he is Top of the board full court press on him. Could be wrong.

The best players period. I dont care if they are from mars. If Indy HS coaches want kids at IU teach them to shoot the damn ball. Shooting from Indiana kids has been crap for years now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

Apparently the 2022 and 2023 classes in Indiana are historically bad, so it makes sense for IU to spread the footprint for those years. 

If that is the case then that totally answers my question. It is just unusual for an new IU coach to come in and then basically ignore the state. I guess I also anticipated there being more talent in the Indy area that Woodson should have easy connection to. I mean we shouldn't EVER lose an Indy kid again....but it just seems it's very quiet on the Indiana HS front. Just wondering because we heard how Crean lost the state basically....I want the best players period but I also want us to still have that advantage when it's homegrown talent that we should still have the connections and sway to land the best when it's in our own backyard.

• Like 1

Just as a follow-up to my earlier comment, I looked at 247 rankings for Indiana in 2022 and 2023 (excluding out of state La Lumiere kids) and here are the current rankings for Indiana players:

2022 - 21 (Washington), 119 (Gunn), 126, 128, 144, 170, 214, 227, 245, 247. 

2023 only ranks the top 75 for now - 

10 (Gibbs-Lawhorn), 23 (Fears), 55 (Hooks)

2023 is still early and could have some real players, but 2022 is really lacking elite talent outside of Washington. It makes perfect sense for Woodson to look out of state for the 2022 class. 

• Like 3