2022 scholarships

68Hoosier

3 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

Just as a follow-up to my earlier comment, I looked at 247 rankings for Indiana in 2022 and 2023 (excluding out of state La Lumiere kids) and here are the current rankings for Indiana players:

2022 - 21 (Washington), 119 (Gunn), 126, 128, 144, 170, 214, 227, 245, 247. 

2023 only ranks the top 75 for now - 

10 (Gibbs-Lawhorn), 23 (Fears), 55 (Hooks)

2023 is still early and could have some real players, but 2022 is really lacking elite talent outside of Washington. It makes perfect sense for Woodson to look out of state for the 2022 class. 

Yeah, saying these classes are historically bad is a slight overstatement.  Thats some solid depth in the 100s and kids may bloom.  Then 3 in the top 55 is better than this past year that was hyped as the deepest ever, which it is incredibly deep on the back end.  

3 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

Just as a follow-up to my earlier comment, I looked at 247 rankings for Indiana in 2022 and 2023 (excluding out of state La Lumiere kids) and here are the current rankings for Indiana players:

2022 - 21 (Washington), 119 (Gunn), 126, 128, 144, 170, 214, 227, 245, 247. 

2023 only ranks the top 75 for now - 

10 (Gibbs-Lawhorn), 23 (Fears), 55 (Hooks)

2023 is still early and could have some real players, but 2022 is really lacking elite talent outside of Washington. It makes perfect sense for Woodson to look out of state for the 2022 class. 

All the more reason I'm hoping we're going full court press on Washington. If we can get a foot in the door in that part of the state, it'll pay down the road. Lots of talent has come from that area...

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

All the more reason I'm hoping we're going full court press on Washington. If we can get a foot in the door in that part of the state, it'll pay down the road. Lots of talent has come from that area...

It’ll be really interesting to see what happens with Washington. Unless something changed recently, he doesn’t have an official scheduled to either IU or Purdue yet. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 3:34 PM, dgambill said:

Anyone concerned or have an issue with how we have seemingly been prioritizing out of state recruits over Indiana kids?? Not saying I do but wonder if that could come across to in-state HS coaches or anything. We have a couple local recruits but since the addition of Yasir and Kenya the attention has definitely been quite a broader base lets just say. (again not saying its a bad thing just would like to hear from those around HS basketball if that is or could become an issue)

I don't care if a player is from the middle of the desert, if they can help IU win is all that matters to me. Now if there is a top player from Indiana I would hope they do try to get them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It just seems like an IU can't win when it comes to their recruiting philosophy.  Crean was criticized for losing the state and then only recruited out of state kids.  Archie recruited the state well but was criticized for not getting enough out of state guys

That’s what happens when you lose.  Everything is on the table from smarts to work ethic.  Win and shut everybody up.

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It just seems like an IU can't win when it comes to their recruiting philosophy.  Crean was criticized for losing the state and then only recruited out of state kids.  Archie recruited the state well but was criticized for not getting enough out of state guys

Archie couldnt get either to come. Who sits on schollys with that team he put together. I think Archie was put in a bad spot with the recruit Indiana kids first. Handcuffed him.

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I’d be happy to see it happen but I’m thinking about other guys.  There’s clearly a structural problem up there.  If I had to guess, the coaches in that area have a chip on their shoulder the size of a boulder when it comes to IU.   Being completely shut out tells you all you need to know.  

We are going to win with him, or without him.  I’m not worried about one player.  Based on who we are in on, we are going to get guys.   If we get Filipowski and Taylor, I will be perfectly fine.  I could easily see Louisville or UNC or somebody like that in his future.  We are going to win games either way.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’d be happy to see it happen but I’m thinking about other guys.  There’s clearly a structural problem up there.  If I had to guess, the coaches in that area have a chip on their shoulder the size of a boulder when it comes to IU.   Being completely shut out tells you all you need to know.  

We are going to win with him, or without him.  I’m not worried about one player.  Based on who we are in on, we are going to get guys.   If we get Filipowski and Taylor, I will be perfectly fine.  I could easily see Louisville or UNC or somebody like that in his future.  We are going to win games either way.  

From afar, it certainly doesn't look promising...

I would think that Woody's NBA resume would have been attractive to Washington, but who knows the priorities of an 18 year old kid...

And I agree...if Woody feels our chances aren't good, move on and bring home some high end talent from out of state...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

Archie couldnt get either to come. Who sits on schollys with that team he put together. I think Archie was put in a bad spot with the recruit Indiana kids first. Handcuffed him.

I admittedly do not have inside ties to the program like you do but I don’t understand how Archie was hamstrung by an “Indiana kids first” mandate. I looked at his offers in his last  3 classes and he offered far, far more out of state players than Indiana players. The issue seemed to be that he did not successfully land many out of state players (not to mention leaving open spots year after year). 

This is another example of IU fans contradicting themselves. Crean got criticized for giving scholarships to guys like April and Priller instead of leaving them open. Archie got criticized for not using every scholarship. 

There’s a scene in the movie Miracle that summarizes my philosophy on recruiting. Herb Brooks/Kurt Russell is asked why he left some of the “best” players off his list of candidates. His response: “I’m not looking for the best players, I’m looking for the right ones.”

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

This is another example of IU fans contradicting themselves. Crean got criticized for giving scholarships to guys like April and Priller instead of leaving them open. Archie got criticized for not using every scholarship. 

There’s a scene in the movie Miracle that summarizes my philosophy on recruiting. Herb Brooks/Kurt Russell is asked why he left some of the “best” players off his list of candidates. His response: “I’m not looking for the best players, I’m looking for the right ones.”

Crean’s problem is he went dumpster diving majorly.  He compared Priller to a kid who was drafted and played at Nevada.  Kids would come in and out due to his recruiting philosophies and he had no continuity.  It’s his problem at Georgia as well. Also he lost a lot of AAU and HS coaches which hurts when Indiana should be a good spot.  

Archie brought in a lot of talent.  We only had like two kids outside of the top 150.  It was more related to if his system was working with the type of kids he was recruiting.  

That’s my opinion at least. 

Edited by IU_Realist
  • Like 1