Happy Juneteenth

I get the concept and agree it's a very good thing to celebrate but I don't get the name at all?  I would have understood Emancipation Day or Black Freedom Day but where did Juneteenth come from? 

I guess I need to Google before I ask that...doing that next to satisfy my curiosity.

• Like 2

I made the mistake of going into town for my Saturday tasks a couple of years ago, and got stuck in the USPS parking lot while the Juneteenth parade went by. Being the idiot white guy I had no idea. Today, I was cautiously looking for an opportunity to say "Happy Juneteenth!" unfortunately with the way things are now adays I felt like I woud have been seen as a white person stealing Black history. Such are the times, Why can't we all just learn that everybody is different and that's OKAY!

Edited by Drroogh

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I made the mistake of going into town for my Saturday tasks a couple of years ago, and got stuck in the USPS parking lot while the Juneteenth parade went by. Being the idiot white guy I had no idea. Today, I was cautiously looking for an opportunity to say "Happy Juneteenth!" unfortunately with the way things are now adays I felt like I woud have been seen as a white person stealing Black history. Such are the times, Why can't we all just learn that everybody is different and that's OKAY!

Be a good person and use good faith and listen when people tell you that you've done something wrong.  You have a good soul.  Nobody expects you to know or understand parts of a culture you don't exist in, but everyone will appreciate you trying to.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Be a good person and use good faith and listen when people tell you that you've done something wrong.  You have a good soul.  Nobody expects you to know or understand parts of a culture you don't exist in, but everyone will appreciate you trying to.

When I travel overseas I absolutly try and blend in instead of being the Ugly American! You can learn so much from casting aside your upbringing and just accept people for who they are!

Edited by Drroogh

I believe there is only one thing that can wash away my sins.  Im a very imperfect, white guy.  The older i get the more empathetic I have become.  I have cousins that are mixed.  Many friends who are black or mixed.  I hate the word race or bi-racial so i purposefully am not saying it.  What I do know is that this day isn't about white people.  Debate the dates if you want from a historical perspective but I will allow the people group that most represents it decide when they want to celebrate it.  

I see enough hatred and division on a daily basis.  Im not going to lecture grown men on how to perceive the world and to react to it. I will say based on IU basketball's Facebook feed we have a long ways to go sadly.  What an embarrassment and I wonder how any black kids would be comfortable signing up to play for a university that has segments of the fan base that would even feel comfortable publicly displaying such ignorance.  

I pray the recognition of this time brings some healing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I believe there is only one thing that can wash away my sins.  Im a very imperfect, white guy.  The older i get the more empathetic I have become.  I have cousins that are mixed.  Many friends who are black or mixed.  I hate the word race or bi-racial so i purposefully am not saying it.  What I do know is that this day isn't about white people.  Debate the dates if you want from a historical perspective but I will allow the people group that most represents it decide when they want to celebrate it.  

I see enough hatred and division on a daily basis.  Im not going to lecture grown men on how to perceive the world and to react to it. I will say based on IU basketball's Facebook feed we have a long ways to go sadly.  What an embarrassment and I wonder how any black kids would be comfortable signing up to play for a university that has segments of the fan base that would even feel comfortable publicly displaying such ignorance.  

I pray the recognition of this time brings some healing.  

The Colts' and Pacers' Facebook pages weren't any better, filled with people complaining about BLM and communism. It's not just IU; Indiana in general has never been a very inclusive place or handled change very well. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

The Colts' and Pacers' Facebook pages weren't any better, filled with people complaining about BLM and communism. It's not just IU; Indiana in general has never been a very inclusive place or handled change very well. 

So people complaining about communism is a bad thing?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If what we're talking about here is people complaining about communism or BLM on an IUBB (or Pacers, or Colts, or whatever) Facebook post, then no - people complaining about communism isn't a bad thing.  People bringing up communism on a day dedicated to freeing black people from slavery, however, is a bad thing (at least I think so - others can agree or disagree).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

If what we're talking about here is people complaining about communism or BLM on an IUBB (or Pacers, or Colts, or whatever) Facebook post, then no - people complaining about communism isn't a bad thing.  People bringing up communism on a day dedicated to freeing black people from slavery, however, is a bad thing (at least I think so - others can agree or disagree).

I agree...in general context, damning communism is ok by me...

Injecting BLM in the conversation simply because of Juneteenth is misguided...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I would say no, except that it doesn't belong on a sports page.  People that complain about athletes putting politics in sports aren't any less guilty if they drop comments like that on a sports page.

15 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I agree...in general context, damning communism is ok by me...

Injecting BLM in the conversation simply because of Juneteenth is misguided...

C’mon @IUFLA. You’re coaxing a debate based on a tangent you started. His original point was in support of a fellow poster and was about empathy and understanding for others. That’s all. Not sure what is controversial about ‘listening’. 

54 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

C’mon @IUFLA. You’re coaxing a debate based on a tangent you started. His original point was in support of a fellow poster and was about empathy and understanding for others. That’s all. Not sure what is controversial about ‘listening’. 

Not at all...I'm not coaxing anything...

If you're talking about my comment to @HoosierFaithful there's nothing controversial at all about listening...but that gate swings both ways...And I'm not going to admit or apologize for "doing something wrong" when I've done anything but...

If you read my comment, I even say, if the context was general dialogue, that's one thing...if it's in the context of bringing BLM (and by extension communism, because the two are linked) to gripe about the holiday it's another...

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 12:09 PM, FKIM01 said:

I get the concept and agree it's a very good thing to celebrate but I don't get the name at all?  I would have understood Emancipation Day or Black Freedom Day but where did Juneteenth come from? 

I guess I need to Google before I ask that...doing that next to satisfy my curiosity.

Emancipation Day, on the right date, would have been an appropriate Holiday.  I do remember learning about the proclamation in school.  

• Like 1

My issue with creating a holiday to celebrate this is including "National Independence Day" as part of the Holiday title, 2 weeks before the day we celebrate July 4th. I should have never read Orwells 1984.

Also, chattel slavery is alive and well today in Africa and the middle east, but noone seems to care about that. 

On 6/20/2021 at 8:02 AM, NotIThatLives said:

What I do know is that this day isn't about white people.

I disagree.  350,000+ Union WHITE soldiers gave their lives to end slavery including one of my ancestors on my grandmas side at the Battle of Perryville,Ky.  It is insulting to think their freedom has nothing to do with white people.

Edited by mrflynn03

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Not at all...I'm not coaxing anything...

If you're talking about my comment to @HoosierFaithful there's nothing controversial at all about listening...but that gate swings both ways...And I'm not going to admit or apologize for "doing something wrong" when I've done anything but...

If you read my comment, I even say, if the context was general dialogue, that's one thing...if it's in the context of bringing BLM (and by extension communism, because the two are linked) to gripe about the holiday it's another...

I'm with you. 

Listen when someone tells you, you are wrong?  Depends on the context and interpretation.

I think pedophilia is wrong but the members of the National Man Love Boy Association dont think so. Yes, NAMBLE is real, look it up. 

Point is, what is wrong is up to the individual.

As for me, I have nothing to apologize for. I live an honest life, albeit sometimes offensive but I do my best to be respectful and truthful. 

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I disagree.  350,000+ Union WHITE soldiers gave their lives to end slavery including one of my ancestors on my grandmas side at the Battle of Perryville,Ky.  It is insulting to think their freedom has nothing to do with white people.

Those who gave the ultimate sacrifice have a day of remembrance on Memorial day.  

Just this weekend 2 black friends of mine shared stories from their grandparents.  One friend's grandmother growing up in South Carolina and the fight she went through to go to school as desegregation was happening.  It sounded like torture compared to the "bullying" label that gets used today.  She would literally get beat up by mons everyday.  I'm not sure my grandparents even finished high school to be honest.  The other friend shared about his great great grandmother being the first freeborn person in his bloodline.  Though slavery of all types is certainly a shameful stain in our nation's history, one that none of use were responsible for, the freedom of a people group is a big deal to them.  Setting the captives free.  Sounds glorious.  I've been set free from addiction, that's my only comparison.  It deserves recognition and I have yet to hear any argument remotely close to changing my mind.  

Talking with my pastor just yesterday about this.  The only thing I can think of holding back from the joy of liberating captives, is that we weren't the ones captive.  And no, we weren't responsible for holding them either.  

Today we still have slavery as you mentioned.  My church sponsors an orphanage in India that literally rescues children out of sex slavery.  Its been going long enough that this year they will graduate 5 girls from college.  Anything that celebrates setting captives free, count me in that party.  This nation has to move forward somehow.  

• Like 1

@NotIThatLives

I'm going to agree with a lot of what(most) of what you said. 

To keep it short, this anti-white rhetoric does nothing to help.

As a White Straight Christian gun owner male minding his own business who wants to live and be left alone.  How am I supposed to feel when the world keeps shoving shit in my face I want or have no need to be a part of. 

I never wronged anyone.  Leave me the hell alone. That's how I feel. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@NotIThatLives

I'm going to agree with a lot of what(most) of what you said. 

To keep it short, this anti-white rhetoric does nothing to help.

As a White Straight Christian gun owner male minding his own business who wants to live and be left alone.  How am I supposed to feel when the world keeps shoving shit in my face I want or have no need to be a part of. 

I never wronged anyone.  Leave me the hell alone. That's how I feel. 

I can agree, the anti white movement is nothing but a racist movement itself.  All people should rightly move away from BLM national org and its leadership.  

In the meantime, I'm trying to love my neighbors, learn from them, sympathize when appropriate, celebrate when appropriate,and even call some of them out on following BLM national and their twisted talking points.  That is a hard conversation that takes a lots of speaking truth in love but at the same time listening to their experiences.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm with you. 

Listen when someone tells you, you are wrong?  Depends on the context and interpretation.

I think pedophilia is wrong but the members of the National Man Love Boy Association dont think so. Yes, NAMBLE is real, look it up. 

Point is, what is wrong is up to the individual.

As for me, I have nothing to apologize for. I live an honest life, albeit sometimes offensive but I do my best to be respectful and truthful. 

FWIW @IUFLA I took no offense, but to this point - you're arguing quite a straw man here.  I never said always accept when someone said you're wrong.  My clear (or perhaps not...?) intent was to say that if someone (in this case, a black person) celebrates a holiday very particular to them and their culture, and you want to share in that joyous Holiday - do it in good faith!  Share joy!  If your good faith attempt at sharing joy is somehow offensive (you're not a part of that culture, perhaps, and maybe it's a day meant to show sorrow, not joy), accept that whoever is telling you it was offensive probably truly was offended, try to learn to not offend again, and move on.

I am sometimes shocked at how we can continue to find ways to argue points other people aren't making, but I suppose it's a message board, my friends ;) what are we to expect.

• Like 2